Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday Times Piece - "Sorry, BA, but new blazers aren’t enough"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sunday Times Piece - "Sorry, BA, but new blazers aren’t enough"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by V10
People here aren't flying in the lower cabins, where the author of the original article mostly seems to be.

The 747 offers poor levels of comfort for those down the back for the reasons you rightly mention. I too want them gone as soon as possible.
Nothing to do with what cabin your are in. To repeat what I said, the 747s are old, loud, inefficient, have dry air, poor pressurisation, vibrations, the list goes on. All of that i completely irrespective of what class you are flying.

Arriving after a 10 hour trip in a 787 will have you in significantly better health than arriving after a 10 hour trip in a 747. It's as simple as that. The 747's, while romantic and old. Just aren't as good as modern planes.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA LTG MM
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Nothing to do with what cabin your are in. To repeat what I said, the 747s are old, loud, inefficient, have dry air, poor pressurisation, vibrations, the list goes on. All of that i completely irrespective of what class you are flying.

Arriving after a 10 hour trip in a 787 will have you in significantly better health than arriving after a 10 hour trip in a 747. It's as simple as that. The 747's, while romantic and old. Just aren't as good as modern planes.
In exactly the same way as an E-Type is older, louder, less efficient, has worse air conditioning and more vibrations than an X-Type. However...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:03 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
The B747 is very quiet in the nose. You can talk across the aisle without needing to raise your voice at all. No issues with vibrations from what I recall. I always felt refreshed (in more ways than one) after a 747 flight.

How many times have you flown F on a 747?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just another persons opinion, some will agree with his views while others won't.....not any different from what you see posted on here every day so hardly news to us.
He's lucky though, at least he's getting paid to give his opinion.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I think it is rather unfair to criticise someone for having a different opinion stating that not all people share the same opinion; indeed that was obvious and the reason why the individual replied to the OP. Not all people want to see the 747 go as quickly as possible just as not all people want to see them stay. YVMV, but friendly replies appreciated.

Last edited by navylad; Sep 30, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Sorry to be a pain!

Where is the article in The Sunday Times I can’t find it in the paper copy?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

It is in the travel section ( page 2 I think)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by binman
New uniform = polishing a turd
slightly rude and derogatory?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by nick585
slightly rude and derogatory?
I read it as BA doing something superficial and not addressing underlying issues, not a slur against employees.
endoman, mrow, Silver Fox and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

It is in the travel section ( page 2 I think)

Regards

TBS
Thanks!

I would agree with a few points on this article

IT System - Yes it needs to be upgraded, How come Ryanair’s, QR, EasyJet’s are not getting compromised. These things happen and can be forgiven just as long as lessons are learned.

Free Food and Drink - I hate the BOB that BA have, it’s stupid. For the price of a soft drink is it worth loosing passengers which you will if you don’t have Status with BA. Plus I can take an educated guess more crisps, beer cans and soft drinks are being taken from the Lounges so BA in actual fact are loosing money.

Staff - All staff have been very friendly to me and very professional so disagree with this point. Maybe he was just unlucky.

Power - Yes WiFi, Power and USB would be great for Short Haul but not required. For long haul in Y I would be disappointed if there is no charging facilities.

Club World - The seats are OK but just OK. Nothing special, comfortable and you can sleep in them. Plus they have aisle access. Keep the direct Aisle access and I’m happy.

Clothing - Staff are well turned out in my opinion and I like the uniforms no need to change them in my opinion.

Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by V10
People here aren't flying in the lower cabins, where the author of the original article mostly seems to be.

The 747 offers poor levels of comfort for those down the back for the reasons you rightly mention. I too want them gone as soon as possible.
I dunno (not an expert) but I've heard that 787's down the back are awful (9 across against a more comfortable 8) and the 777s are being densified at some point from 9 across to 10. Best was actually the 767, especially in WTP.

Obviously the 744 is still popular amongst those that can snag something upstairs or are in 1A/K. In these circumstances the 744 is still a good aircraft although I entirely agree that the air quality on the 787 is an improvement. Worst of the lot - 772.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by tomparskate

Free Food and Drink - I hate the BOB that BA have, it’s stupid. For the price of a soft drink is it worth loosing passengers which you will if you don’t have Status with BA. Plus I can take an educated guess more crisps, beer cans and soft drinks are being taken from the Lounges so BA in actual fact are loosing money.
It’s not going away (a few possible bones thrown at status-holders aside). BA management believes (correctly, based on the evidence of LCC growth) short haul economy is largely price driven. The price is set by the market leaders, neither of which is BA. Competing on price and still making a profit therefore requires cost takeout. This one is a no-brainer.

Only my educated guess too, but I’d find it pretty likely that BA is saving a lot more than it might lose in lounge pilfering, and maybe that cost is borne by outsourced lounge caterers. How long BA will persist with spinning the illusion that there is anything premium about its brand in ET is another matter, I continue to believe that a brand can’t sustain being pulled in opposite directions for too long.

Originally Posted by tomparskate

Club World - The seats are OK but just OK. Nothing special, comfortable and you can sleep in them. Plus they have aisle access. Keep the direct Aisle access and I’m happy.
Um, are you confused or did you just mean you only use the aisle-access seats? Lack of direct aisle access in most seats is CW’s most widely perceived problem.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Sep 30, 2018 at 3:08 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Obviously the 744 is still popular amongst those that can snag something upstairs or are in 1A/K. In these circumstances the 744 is still a good aircraft although I entirely agree that the air quality on the 787 is an improvement. Worst of the lot - 772.
Absolutely agree. Having done multiple long haul flights in all types the 777 is the one I avoid most due to air quality and lack of humidity. The 747 may be older but I get off feeling far fresher than I ever do on a 777. A newer aircraft is not always better, and the recent refurbishment of the super J 747s has helped to address some of the issues like poor IFE.

The 787 though as you say seems to be a step change for the better.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Modern BA short haul services could have 10 toilets down the back, and all of us in the front half of ET would use the CE loos.
It is simply the BoB carts.
And when you reach my age, when you have to go, you have to go.
CC do understand that.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
Absolutely agree. Having done multiple long haul flights in all types the 777 is the one I avoid most due to air quality and lack of humidity. The 747 may be older but I get off feeling far fresher than I ever do on a 777. A newer aircraft is not always better, and the recent refurbishment of the super J 747s has helped to address some of the issues like poor IFE.

The 787 though as you say seems to be a step change for the better.
Yes and I will pile in too. There is no question in my mind that the B787, A350 and A380 are game changers for me, and have probably pushed my retirement back several years. The difference they have, particularly in terms of frequent, repeated travel is amazing. My patience with 777s generally, and 777-200 in particular is now spent and I largely avoid them on BA, AA and any other airline unless it's a short flight. 777-300 aren't so bad but I still choose alternatives where I can. And I still get the occasional 757 and 767s, which aren't great either. So there is no inverted nostalgia on my part.

However the 747 in UD, particularly in BA's Super J format, remains an excellent product in my opinion and remains my first choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.