Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Still works for me.
Ok, now it works for me...strange
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Another decision by the current Management team to look at cost, rather than value. It stinks.
I thought offshoring was always considered the best approach for companies to save the pennies and this is effectively doing the reverse - strange world.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PETER01
That letter is truly very bad in my view, very crass and blunt indeed.
op
I was made redundant a couple of times and also received such letters. Seems they have to follow procedures laid down by law when it comes to such things. It may seem crass but when large numbers are involved it's the only way. Can't speak for HK law but in the UK employers have strict rules to follow depending on the employees length of service etc.
The whole process is usually carried out by someone the employee has never heard of before never mind met. The sympathetic stuff comes off the record from your own bosses.
PJSMITH0 and argonath like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

I wonder if that will mean Gary Bird will also lose his job with the company or if he will get offered some kind of internal redeployment?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by icegirl
I wonder if that will mean Gary Bird will also lose his job with the company or if he will get offered some kind of internal redeployment?
I guess he will stay to close more bases before 'moving on' or being promoted to even higher position.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

British Airways crew in Hong Kong hoping to reverse decision to axe city base in wake of shock sackings
Union seeking three-week delay in airline’s decision to close base as they look to British counterparts for support
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ritish-airways
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Schwann
Garry Bird has some tremendous accolades in his LinkedIn profile. It's almost enough to bring up my lunch.

Hope him and Cruz get a nice bonus this year and I do dearly hope Garry is reading this thread.
Hi Garry. When reviewing your Linkedin profile you might want to check the difference between 'rational' and 'rationale'.

So another depressing BA thread courtesy of Alex and Co. Struggling to see how this is not another Penny wise, Pound foolish move trampling all over BA's history and local presences. Another erosion of what is generally perceived as good about BA - their crews! Just how is this going to help BA compete in the local market?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
The article basically echoed my thoughts. It's a neutral article, which I feel like some of the posters haven't been and that's where I'm coming at it from.

I don't really care that BA is doing this, it's just HOW they did it that bothers me. Right at the end of the article it mentions the same thing happening in Singapore with 6 months notice. That's almost overkill imo, but kudos to them for doing it right that time, extra demerit points for having done it right before and STILL doing it wrong this time.

These flights until the end of the month will be interesting. I can only assume there'll be lots of sick calls and some no call no shows. I'm not totally sure what the ratio numbers are, but I'm thinking most airlines don't carry more FAs than they need, so it'll be kinda disastrous for an HK FA to no call no show since it'll sort of strand the plane until someone else can be brought in to operate the flight no? Or would they just boot off whatever number of passengers they need to make the ratio work? My guess is to avoid having that happen, they'll have an extra LHR based FA or two ride along for exactly this situation.

Well, I agree that it's slimy to get publicity THIS way...but are they wrong? They're presumably gonna fill those 100 spots with Britons.
They're not working their notice. All their rosters have been wiped.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I was made redundant a couple of times and also received such letters. Seems they have to follow procedures laid down by law when it comes to such things. It may seem crass but when large numbers are involved it's the only way. Can't speak for HK law but in the UK employers have strict rules to follow depending on the employees length of service etc.
The whole process is usually carried out by someone the employee has never heard of before never mind met. The sympathetic stuff comes off the record from your own bosses.
Redundancies and restructuring are a fact of life, but not having the decency to tell people in person
, but to text them/email them when abroad for work is very poor indeed. I am not talking about lawful/unlawful, just common decency and courtesy. If things have played themselves out as some have indicated then this reflects very poorly on BA indeed.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur

Redundancies and restructuring are a fact of life, but not having the decency to tell people in person
, but to text them/email them when abroad for work is very poor indeed. I am not talking about lawful/unlawful, just common decency and courtesy. If things have played themselves out as some have indicated then this reflects very poorly on BA indeed.
Is this a fact or plain rumour? I suspect what may have happened in here other colleagues just have messaged them during there flight to tell what had happened to them and to expect.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Hi Garry. When reviewing your Linkedin profile you might want to check the difference between 'rational' and 'rationale'.

So another depressing BA thread courtesy of Alex and Co. Struggling to see how this is not another Penny wise, Pound foolish move trampling all over BA's history and local presences. Another erosion of what is generally perceived as good about BA - their crews! Just how is this going to help BA compete in the local market?
The whole episode is hardly going to encourage any BA crew to do more than the bare minimum. Work hard and go the extra mile and the HK crew still get sacked, so why would anyone bother?

In a service business the staff are the product and BA just doesn’t get that.

Then, when you add a swathe of cheap new inexperienced badly trained (on the cheap) staff to bad catering and a rubbish premium seat, it’s a wonder BA has any repeat custom off the Atlantic.

It looks like UBS wrote something quite negative about BA this week so maybe they were on to something.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
I have a quick non-refundable trip to HK in November and to show my disgust at the way this was handled I would like to cancel and fly another airline.

I was caught up in the data breach and am sure I seen a post on here a week or so ago that someone managed to cancel a non-refundable fare due to a contract breach. I will try the same and if successful will send a note after with the reason.

What an appalling way to let people go.
cupsandsaucers likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
sure its legal to not pay severance in HK but to take it out of your pension, what BA has threatened the crew.

btw, i read upthread where "the crew job would be replaced by british jobs"? i cant vouch for all but i can bet on my past pound a good part of the 80 IS british. not (even) BN(O) but BC like many of you, provided the ties of HK was severed only in 1997.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BA GGL
Western media coverage surrounding eastern issues is limited - the recent Mangkut typhoon being one such example - so, sadly, I suspect BA will 'get away' with this with roughly no problems (read: financial ones).

Sheung Wan, where BA HK is based, isn't cheap. That's my assumption as to why this decision was made: not in the cost of the staff, per se, but BA's motivation is to centralise operations in the UK (veiled with some Indian and other cheaper locations), in line with its closure of other international bases.

Handled badly. Short-sighted. But it'll be forgotten about by 2019. The modern world, how lovely, eh?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by icegirl
Is this a fact or plain rumour? I suspect what may have happened in here other colleagues just have messaged them during there flight to tell what had happened to them and to expect.
I certainly cannot confirm it, so unless someone on here can confirm (which I doubt) it is best described as a rumour. Hence my careful use of the word "if" in my previous post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.