Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding info

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Boarding info

Why oh why does BA persist in displaying misleading information.

Currently at gate 28 at LGW because BA 2610 (15.25 to Naples) was showing as boarding from 14.45. On arrival at the gate just before 15.00 it was clear that inbound pax were still disembarking. The inbound G-GATR from Catania only landed at 14.39 so quite obviously the gate was not ready for boarding at 14.45 and presumably it takes 30-40 mins to turnaround an A320.

Only had had time for 1 glass of bubbles in F lounge and had to rush a delicious lunch at Caviar House to be stuck at the gate grrrrr.....
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Why oh why does BA persist in displaying misleading information.

Currently at ... LGW ...
IIRC, those last three letters may be the reason. The flight information displays at LGW are controlled by LGW and run according to scheduled departure time, not the real-time estimate on the day.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:32 am

I always check the inbound on flightradar24...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The flight information displays at LGW are controlled by LGW and run according to scheduled departure time, not the real-time estimate on the day.
Never knew this... good to know actually.

Flight Radar 24 checks will occur at LGW from now on.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
This being Gatwick, were they scanning BPs, checking passports and 'boarding' passengers into the holding room during this period of time ?

The flight information displays at LGW are controlled by LGW and run according to scheduled departure time, not the real-time estimate on the day.
Are you sure about that ? All heavily delayed (and cancelled) flights at LGW are still shown as 'boarding' approaching their scheduled departure time ?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Are you sure about that ? All heavily delayed (and cancelled) flights at LGW are still shown as 'boarding' approaching their scheduled departure time ?
I have seen it said here, by way of explanation when there have been previous complaints. I suppose I ought to have caveated my first post acccordingly.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:38 am

IIRC, those last three letters may be the reason. The flight information displays at LGW are controlled by LGW and run according to scheduled departure time, not the real-time estimate on the day.
Having lurked these boards for quite a while now is it just a general assumption that anything related to a problem re BA is its own fault and never due to something else ? (Referring to original post..)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I understood it automatically displays "Boarding" unless someone intervenes. Presumably for a 20-30 min delay where the gate agents can see the aircraft is there and will be ready soon, they don't bother intervening. If it's cancelled or severely delayed, I'd hope the system would get updated accordingly.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Unfortunately even when it is severely delayed they don’t. My flight to Edinburgh went tech a couple of months ago and we were sent back to the Lounge (I know how sad). The screens never updated and we had to rely on the lounge staff, who were excellent in keeping us up to date. The pilot apologised on the replacement aircraft and said that BA had been unable to get LGW to update the screens. Apparently the rest of the passengers had to rely on an announcement in the airport asking them to go to the new gate.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have seen it said here, by way of explanation when there have been previous complaints. I suppose I ought to have caveated my first post acccordingly.
No, you were more or less right Globaliser. The LGW operates a latent FIDS (Flight Information Display System) across all airlines (and there is rather a lot of them now) and over both terminals, so the way it works is that there is an underlying assumption that the flight is on time. Gates are then shown as "boarding" etc according to a set of rules. So for example the North gates 101 to 113, so-called "over the rainbow" gates, are shown to passengers an extra 5 minutes over gate N59, and the "boarding" is fixed accordingly. This FIDS, more common in the USA (it's used in MIA), was inherited by GAL from the BAA and a few other ex BAA locations still have it (SOU for example). Now if a flight is running more than about 15 minutes late, the airlines are supposed to contact GAL Control to adjust the timings, and for long delays this tends to happen. For delays under 30 minutes or so, may be it happens, maybe it doesn't, the system really can't cope with all flight changes being moved by 10 minutes here or there. The BA lounge agents see slightly more information on their system (and can easily tell if boarding has actually started, that's on FLY in a big red box). But the LGW default is "it's all going to plan and it's all going swimmingly", which at some airports isn't unreasonable, but at arguably the most busy single runway airport in the world is somewhat untenable in my view. LGW's FID, provided by VisonAir, is technically quite advanced in terms of hardware, the underlying scheduling software is not.

So I think I have put this up in previous threads, but basically you best be guided by the gate numbers and the 20 minute rule (noting that very occasionally some gates still use buses for departure), and the be guided by the information on BA.com/arrdep and/or the lounge agents. In this case, I would imagine that BA.com/arrdep (also available on the App) would have shown a bit of a delay and so the FIDS "Boarding" should not necessarily be taken as a reason for leaving the lounge there. So long as you don't get lost and it's not something strange like the JER Embraer 190 subs, you can stay in the lounge until FLY boarding has started since all gates are within 10 minutes of the lounge.
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards
Also a problem at Manchester Terminal 3 a couple of weeks ago - everyone including Business and status passengers spent 25 minutes standing in a corridor without any seating available. There wasn't a gate lounge, just a corridor.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by beeorchid
Also a problem at Manchester Terminal 3 a couple of weeks ago - everyone including Business and status passengers spent 25 minutes standing in a corridor without any seating available. There wasn't a gate lounge, just a corridor.
That has been the BA gate setup at MAN for years and years and years unfortunately.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I always check the inbound on flightradar24...
Originally Posted by YacozA
Flight Radar 24 checks will occur at LGW from now on.
How do you know which is your incoming flight? I can understand it at an outstation, but not at LHR/LGW.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How do you know which is your incoming flight? I can understand it at an outstation, but not at LHR/LGW.
In most cases, the aircraft registration for your outbound flight will be available in FR24 prior to depature. Then track the aircraft to see where it is inbound.

Sometimes it not shown and in some cases you may end up on a different aircraft if they need to reassign on short notice for one reason or another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.