Wiki Posts
Search

Can I claim my in-laws avios?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
Why would you suggest that BA won't care. There are any number of threads here from people who did roughly what you advocate and suggest BA won't care about and then found out that BA did.

BA may not have the most sophisticated IT known to humankind, but this stuff is relatively easy to find.
Indeed there was a thread in August about someone who had reward flights cancelled (whilst they were abroad) because of some shenanigans with a HHA account involving lodgers and protestations that they had done nothing wrong (despite their own explanation indicating otherwise). Not sure how that was resolved though.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
As a non Moderator, I would suggest doing what was suggested have your in-laws 'move in' with you, at least in a BAEC basis and hten create a household account.

BA are not going to care and I suspect if Uncle T did not HATE CHILDREN and had a couple of his own who flew irregularly, they would all still be living in Jersey!
Sorry to see a lack of principle is widespread.
The T&C are clear enough for even the semi-literate to understand, and I have ZERO (as capitals seem to be in fashion) sympathy for anyone who gets caught by BAEC and has their account terminated.

BTW, my children are hard-working Company Executives in UK (one a Vice-President of a global entity, and the other the MD of a UK Company). Thank you for inappropriately bringing my family into the debate. And, yes, they fly, with my grand-children, from time to time. Your attempted humour misses its target badly on this occasion.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
I think it’s safe to say that ‘permanent’ in this case is a minimum of 6 months. If your parents do not currently have BAEC accounts, create them under your address and add them to your household account. You’ll be fine.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by bklgafly
Great! Thank you!

Then I can do it for both my father in law and mother in law? Household will be part my existing or is it separate?
As you can see this is one of those hot-button issues on FT.

Yes, you can pretend you and your in-laws share an address, creating a household account - or adding them to your existing one (under your address). But this is definitely not permitted in the Ts & Cs. There are, however, no reliable statistics on how likely BA is to notice, just the odd anecdote. Personally, it would not worry me. But for others it would.

Keep in mind that Avios redemptions are depleted proportionally. So if your personal account has 500k avios in it, and your father-in-law's has 5k avios. If you make a 100k avios redemption, roughly 99k avios will come from your account and only 1k from theirs, so it might take a while to get through their avios and you might have to do something to keep your in-laws' accounts 'alive' (unless someone in your household account has status with BAEC).

Last edited by newyorklondon; Sep 19, 2018 at 10:50 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
As a non Moderator, I would suggest doing what was suggested have your in-laws 'move in' with you, at least in a BAEC basis and hten create a household account.

BA are not going to care and I suspect if Uncle T did not HATE CHILDREN and had a couple of his own who flew irregularly, they would all still be living in Jersey!
Notwithstanding the "compliance" question, note that HHA (and the misuse thereof) have been at the heart of several of the cases of audits discussed on this forum over the years. If one is tempted to do this, I think it might be worth carefully considering the potential consequences before deciding whether they feel that it is really worth it.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Yes, you can pretend you and your in-laws share an address, creating a household account - or adding them to your existing one (under your address). But this is definitely not permitted in the Ts & Cs. There are, however, no reliable statistics on how likely BA is to notice, just the odd anecdote. Personally, it would not worry me. But for others it would.
OP will also be 'pretending' to be two people when he creates two new BAEC avios accounts in their names.

I don't approve of that and BA would take a dim view of it as well.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Indeed there was a thread in August about someone who had reward flights cancelled (whilst they were abroad) because of some shenanigans with a HHA account involving lodgers and protestations that they had done nothing wrong (despite their own explanation indicating otherwise). Not sure how that was resolved though.
You beat me to it!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found the thread I mentioned earlier Desperately seeking help! Flights cancelled [Account in Audit]

The OP never came back to tell us what happened.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Why would you suggest that BA won't care. There are any number of threads here from people who did roughly what you advocate and suggest BA won't care about and then found out that BA did.

BA may not have the most sophisticated IT known to humankind, but this stuff is relatively easy to find.
​​​​​​​I recently had a BA CSR recommend moving someone into my HHA to solve a booking problem. I found that interesting.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Well found, UKtravelbear! I remember the Thread.

Of course, rather than put individual accounts into Audit, BA might identify a growing tendency to abuse their T&C and close down HHA and F&F programmes. Oh, imagine the howls of grief and anger here if that happened ... caused by a small number of individuals taking the pi$$ out of the T&C.

Play a straight bat, chaps.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
OP will also be 'pretending' to be two people when he creates two new BAEC avios accounts in their names.

I don't approve of that and BA would take a dim view of it as well.
Absolutely. And it's good for a forum like this to provide a range of opinions.
Takiteasy likes this.

Last edited by newyorklondon; Sep 19, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Well found, UKtravelbear! I remember the Thread.

Of course, rather than put individual accounts into Audit, BA might identify a growing tendency to abuse their T&C and close down HHA and F&F programmes. Oh, imagine the howls of grief and anger here if that happened ... caused by a small number of individuals taking the pi$$ out of the T&C.

Play a straight bat, chaps.
Yeah right... BA are going to audit their accounts because one return economy trip might have been credited to the wrong place, then close down the household account and friend and family system.

I suspect your admirable desire to always follow T&C's to the letter is somewhat clouding your judgement there.

​​​​​​
alpenlupe and Takiteasy like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
The OP's question has been answered, and the thread has perhaps reached its sell-by-date.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.