Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going for GUF: really can't be bothered !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Going for GUF: really can't be bothered !

When a couple of recent trips post in full, I will be at 3020 TPs, so GGL retained...

I did have some travel in for November (180 TPs) but work has got in the way and that's going to be canceled / pushed back into next membership year...

I had thought about doing some sort of a trip to top me up to 3500 but looking at the unused GUFs in my account, I really can't be bothered...

Anyone else suffering from TP-fatigue ?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
A little bit, doubt I'll make CCR next year but when you remember that you can use GUFs with travel agents to book into the cabin's lowest revenue class, they suddenly get a lot more attractive!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have some GUF to use and tried for an upcoming London - USA travel, no availabikity for 15th Dec out, return 19th / 20th. Tried many airports using the redemption finder - this offered me BOS but when I called I was told only the outbound.

its very likely the time of year and booking 3 months in advance.

I ended up with an AA itinerary (24hrs on hold), PE out, Biz back for the same (if not less) than BA WT+ both ways.

Think I need more forward planning for the GUF.

Which travel agents can help?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by NeilP
I have some GUF to use and tried for an upcoming London - USA travel, no availabikity for 15th Dec out, return 19th / 20th. Tried many airports using the redemption finder - this offered me BOS but when I called I was told only the outbound.

its very likely the time of year and booking 3 months in advance.

I ended up with an AA itinerary (24hrs on hold), PE out, Biz back for the same (if not less) than BA WT+ both ways.

Think I need more forward planning for the GUF.

Which travel agents can help?
Propeller travel can help you for a 30 quid fee. It seems to be the usual advice here, they were helpful with my TP runs so far.
Cymro, Lefly, alex67500 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Despite reading a couple of moans about them recently, I have found Propeller very good the couple of times I have used them: fast, accurate and good at replying to emails...
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was also speaking to Daniel, very very helpful but unfortunately he couldn’t find any GUF upgrades for the specific dates either.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by thebigben
Propeller travel can help you for a 30 quid fee. It seems to be the usual advice here, they were helpful with my TP runs so far.
Same here. They've managed to get the same prices as ITA when BA where useless, even over the phone with the Silver line...

They've really been very professional, quick and efficient.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I ended up applying an already-extended GUF to a short haul flight a couple of weeks ago as it was about to expire (again!).

I hate losing them but I don't want to waste jokers - so I don't make any special effort to get to the 3500 TPs unless I really need to. The one year expiry is a bit of a pain
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
When a couple of recent trips post in full, I will be at 3020 TPs, so GGL retained...

I did have some travel in for November (180 TPs) but work has got in the way and that's going to be canceled / pushed back into next membership year...

I had thought about doing some sort of a trip to top me up to 3500 but looking at the unused GUFs in my account, I really can't be bothered...

Anyone else suffering from TP-fatigue ?
Currently just north of 9,000 tier points in this calendar year, mostly business related travel, with a few thousand more to go, so, yes, I feel your pain, but I still look forward to every flight! Just wish my waistline coped a little better with the LPGS and 5 course dinners
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Currently just north of 9,000 tier points in this calendar year, mostly business related travel, with a few thousand more to go, so, yes, I feel your pain, but I still look forward to every flight! Just wish my waistline coped a little better with the LPGS and 5 course dinners
You can say no?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:32 am

Found a good value WTP far and used a GUF2 to upgrade to CW. Used Propeller travel, super easy. Got a lot of value out of them that way.
Filthy Monkey likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by teledude
You can say no?
Is this the sozzled pot calling the drunken kettle black...?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Found a good value WTP far and used a GUF2 to upgrade to CW. Used Propeller travel, super easy. Got a lot of value out of them that way.
Yes, this is my sweet spot too.

Was very happy with my planned trip to Oman in CW for £511.31 (GUF applied) but now that my customer has screwed up those plans, I need to cancel / rebook

Just feeling a little weary today (also, I have to drive from London to Manchester tomorrow night and I am not looking forward to it... )

But on a lighter note, I will be home in beautiful Lancashire from Thursday night
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
Originally Posted by NeilP
I was also speaking to Daniel, very very helpful but unfortunately he couldn’t find any GUF upgrades for the specific dates either.
Hey, i don't use Propeler because I have my own travel agent that is wonderful with using GUF's. It sound to me that he did not look well, in Order to use the GUF, the TA has to find lowest booking fare for that cabbin( "A" for first and "I" for Business) As far as the flights has those booking fares, i don't see why he coulnt apply the GUF. I saw my TA doing it and is so amazingly easy, takes about 10 minutes max
sorry for my spelling, in a bit of a rush
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I ended up applying an already-extended GUF to a short haul flight a couple of weeks ago as it was about to expire (again!).

I hate losing them but I don't want to waste jokers - so I don't make any special effort to get to the 3500 TPs unless I really need to. The one year expiry is a bit of a pain
If you use a travel agent, then you don't have to use jokers, basically a travel agent that applies a GUF has unlimited jokers. I used all of my GUF s and never used a joker lol
ThatT1Feeling likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.