Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going for GUF: really can't be bothered !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by high.and.above
Originally Posted by NeilP
I was also speaking to Daniel, very very helpful but unfortunately he couldn’t find any GUF upgrades for the specific dates either.
It sound to me that he did not look well, in Order to use the GUF, the TA has to find lowest booking fare for that cabbin( "A" for first and "I" for Business)
I think that of all the things one might say about Daniel / Propeller, one thing is for sure: Daniel knows as well as any of us that you need A class / I class.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that of all the things one might say about Daniel / Propeller, one thing is for sure: Daniel knows as well as any of us that you need A class / I class.
It must have been a very busy route, I can't believe I never had such a problem, even on a last minute ticket
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It must have been a very busy route, I can't believe I never had such a problem, even on a last minute ticket
it does sometimes happen that A isn’t open. A friend of mine has had a real struggle finding A class coming back from HKG just after New Year when looking 4-5 months ahead. Virtually nothing for over a week back from HKG/SIN/KUL. There are plenty of other examples I could give.

A class is discounted first so it wouldn’t speak well of BA’s revenue management if it was constantly still open on busy routes at the last minute.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:45 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I always assume I am going to have to use a GGL Redemption (Joker) when using my GUF2. In fact today, I found space to HKG/from HKG for the May Bank Holiday in 2019. Unfortunately outbound was only on the 777 but back was on the A380, so I used the Joker to get the upgrade to F both ways.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Hey, i don't use Propeler because I have my own travel agent that is wonderful
Hi,
are they UK-based? And can they get things priced similar to ITA? Propeller have been great for my needs, but they charge my card in USD. It's still 3x Avios on the BAPP so I've swallowed the hit until now, but being charged in GBP would help.
Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
Originally Posted by alex67500
Hi,
are they UK-based? And can they get things priced similar to ITA? Propeller have been great for my needs, but they charge my card in USD. It's still 3x Avios on the BAPP so I've swallowed the hit until now, but being charged in GBP would help.
Thanks!
My T.A. is a friend of mine/my other half lol and does it only for fun.
The good thing is that I never have to pay commission lol although he has to pay to keep his access to the system.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
My T.A. is a friend of mine/my other half lol and does it only for fun.
The good thing is that I never have to pay commission lol although he has to pay to keep his access to the system.
Well if they're ever looking to expand, PM me. Otherwise, well...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Hey, i don't use Propeler because I have my own travel agent that is wonderful with using GUF's. It sound to me that he did not look well, in Order to use the GUF, the TA has to find lowest booking fare for that cabbin( "A" for first and "I" for Business) As far as the flights has those booking fares, i don't see why he coulnt apply the GUF. I saw my TA doing it and is so amazingly easy, takes about 10 minutes max
sorry for my spelling, in a bit of a rush
Adding to the previous comments, there are many times when A class is unavailable, particularly on busy routes with limited flights, such as Miami, Johannesburg, Hong Kong, Singapore and Sydney. If Daniel was unable to apply the GUF it's because there was no availability, not because he didn't look well. He knows what he's doing better than any TA I've come across.

Incidentally, it takes more than 10 minutes to apply a GUF, particularly on the complex bookings that I've known some of my esteemed FT chums to send to Propeller. There's a lot more involved than just banging in a few Sabre commands and popping out a ticket. The unknown 'BA factor' can also often be a problem as each GUF has to be approved prior to ticketing and this can take anything from a few hours to a few days. In the most extreme cases tickets can expire and have to be re-booked. It's certainly not as black and white as your post makes out.
madfish likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:56 pm

Hi,
Thanks!
They're based in multiple locations is my understanding to cater for time zones.

Regarding currency: ask. I paid for my HNL points run in CAD as the rate was looking better than USD, which helped me save a little.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:01 pm

Hi,
Thanks!
Perhaps not well known, but there's a hidden benefit to this, particularly on non-flexible tickets. If, for example, you have to cancel, you will generally forfeit the cost of the ticket (minus some taxes) on a UK issued fare, whereas tickets issued from a US point of sale will, in many cases, allow you to apply the credit towards another booking.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:09 pm

Hi,
Thanks!
I asked Propeller if I could pay in GBP and was told I couldn't. From memory the reason given was that the ticket was issued by BA's New York office. Wanted to use Amex Plat so reluctantly accepted the FX fee. Feeling grumpy now that perhaps I should have made more fuss.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
When a couple of recent trips post in full, I will be at 3020 TPs, so GGL retained...

I did have some travel in for November (180 TPs) but work has got in the way and that's going to be canceled / pushed back into next membership year...

I had thought about doing some sort of a trip to top me up to 3500 but looking at the unused GUFs in my account, I really can't be bothered...

Anyone else suffering from TP-fatigue ?
Accumulating TPs for the sake of TPs is just the same as accumulating money for the sake of money. It makes no sense to me in and by itself, and they only make sense in terms of what they can get you.

You call your current "mood" TP fatigue, to me it is just basic common sense: the idea of buying business class flights you do not need just to get a GUF which will enable you, next year, to maybe get an upgrade would just be odd in my view. You can just buy the higher class that next time if you need it. Sure there is a small chance it may cost you a bit more, but then there is at least as good a chance it will cost you less especially given the current sales structure.

Just fly what you need and more importantly what you can enjoy.
LTN Phobia and SoggyDollar like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
I always assume I am going to have to use a GGL Redemption (Joker) when using my GUF2. In fact today, I found space to HKG/from HKG for the May Bank Holiday in 2019. Unfortunately outbound was only on the 777 but back was on the A380, so I used the Joker to get the upgrade to F both ways.
Fingers crossed the Summer 19 schedule also changes the 777/380 around - if so you’ll be able to get 380 both ways. I’m hoping my April 777 to HKG gets switched
Markie likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Markie
I always feel the same, then I get on the 777 in F and I'm pleasantly surprised. It gets a bad rep, but I'm not sure it's entirely justified.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just fly what you need and more importantly what you can enjoy.
^ Precisely my philosophy! I’ve never done a TP run in my life, and don’t envisage doing so anytime soon.

I’ve recently ‘wasted’ one otherwise-expiring GUF2 on an ET/CE upgrade, and have just extended another GUF2 by six months. I wish you could trade-in GUFs for Avios.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.