Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uniform standards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Then I must try harder.
Or bend over less.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Or bend over less.
Knees, not back
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m known for my bend and snap.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by endoman
Ive got a slip on loafer from this lot. Very comfy. This brogue looks decent if you are on your feet all day. Image added now I'm at a proper computer and not phone!

https://www.barleycorn.it/shop/uomo/...k-leather-fw18

That's an impressive looking shoe with an impressive price (€230!!!!!!!!). But alas, they stop at a UK Size 12, which isn't big enough :-(
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Can I help you
With regard to the shirt tails coming out I’m afraid it happens to the best of us, the newer poor trousers no long have a rubber strip in the waste and to grip the shirt.
Pucci will sew one on for you!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not letting her anywhere near my waistband, those hands are everywhere.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
I’d happily exchange the BA crew wearing whatever they want for an extra 3 inches.
Of legroom 😀
RoyalSwazi and rog747 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by V10
Looks like your bush could do with a bit of a trim.
That's a camellia not a ''bush''. Wrong time of year here for pruning as they are currently in flower. Anyway....that's the wife's department.

As for the cabin crew with the shirt tail sticking out....is that not the fashion nowadays? Most women I see seem to do it. Or is that only those with big bums?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by jfallesen
Had a flight CPH–OSL on SAS last December and this was the captain's attire:

I could not believe my eyes and to me it just sent a message of SAS being a much less professional airline than BA. Yes, I am sure the captain was just as competent than any BA pilot, but these things do matter, at least to me.

On top of that, I found it strange that the cockpit door was kept open during pushback and part of the taxi. Not to mention the fact that if you think CE is bad, you have clearly not tried SAS Plus…
I guess the BA and SAS Captain have flown with a tie and also flown without a tie and determined that their ability to aviate professional doesn't change! Comfort in the flight deck will reduce unnecessary distractions.

Originally Posted by rog747
In my day if you could not wear your correct uniform, or have your appearance impeccable as laid down you did not work, and would maybe (likely) face a disciplinary.

If you had health issues and say could not wear correct uniform footwear as Operating Crew (whether be it in the air, or on the ground) then you may be sent home as sick, or possibly offered a job away from public eye,and if formally discussed, and agreed with your LM.

Uniform standards were everything and most aircrew wore theirs with pride. I know I did.

Re this photo of a CC in trainers in public view - well no doubt by now this is all around the crew room and Managers by now!

Frankly, it beggars belief to me that BA would, even with health issues allow the uniform in public to worn with these trainers - Anyone know more?

If I was a senior manager in the terminal I would be mortified as to what is going on here....

As mentioned in other posts times have changed, as have the laws, so if someone can be accommodated with a medical issue by wearing trainers than this will be accepted. In a past life I was a navigating officer on large cruise ships where uniform was strictly adhered to, however comfortable footwear was encouraged (plain black or white trainers were encouraged and absolutely acceptable). Very few of us wore shiny polished oxfords.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:12 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
In many ways times have changed...

Companies no longer focuses on making employees feel part of something and proud to wear uniforms, employees no longer return that sentiment, the cheapness and relentless focus on bottom line has filtered down to uniform and appearance, we’re so politically correct that looking presentable comes second to issues of sexism, gender policy and disability discrimination, camera phone ubiquity and twitter means frankly people behave like school children and run to the internet to tattle on strangers...

In some ways they haven’t...

That downstairs/upstairs culture of things like how the service people should be dressed, act or address their betters remains and the need to ‘put them in their place’ if they transgress, remains. All be it in a different form.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:32 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Also all comfort, marketing/branding, employee relations, political correctness, social issues aside.

Command presence, it’s often quoted the crew are there for #1 safety. There’s a reason law enforcement and all people employeed in the field of public safety are supposed to look squared away.

In an emergency, panicked irrational people are more likely to follow orders and direction of a height-weight proportionate, suited, pressed, polished, neatly groomed individual than a scruffy, wrinkled, ill-fitting, trainer wearing, needs a haircut one.
rog747 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by amt
In an emergency, panicked irrational people are more likely to follow orders and direction of a height-weight proportionate, suited, pressed, polished, neatly groomed individual than a scruffy, wrinkled, ill-fitting, trainer wearing, needs a haircut one.
You can tell he needs a haircut from the first photo? If I was facing that person in an emergency I would not be looking at his shoes, and if I were, they would appear plain black. The logo is only visible from the side.

I thought scruffy and wrinkled was a fitting description of some cabin interiors today?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY

As for the cabin crew with the shirt tail sticking out....is that not the fashion nowadays? Most women I see seem to do it. Or is that only those with big bums?
Say that to Mrs rapidex and you will be turning up at the next do with a rolling pin sticking out from between your ears
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:18 am

Arn’t nice shoes more comfortable than pumps? Mine are. I only wear plimsolls when they are going to be bashed about a bit as I would not want my nice shoes damaged.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by amt
In many ways times have changed...

Companies no longer focuses on making employees feel part of something and proud to wear uniforms, employees no longer return that sentiment, the cheapness and relentless focus on bottom line has filtered down to uniform and appearance, we’re so politically correct that looking presentable comes second to issues of sexism, gender policy and disability discrimination, camera phone ubiquity and twitter means frankly people behave like school children and run to the internet to tattle on strangers...

In some ways they haven’t...

That downstairs/upstairs culture of things like how the service people should be dressed, act or address their betters remains and the need to ‘put them in their place’ if they transgress, remains. All be it in a different form.
In my view it is not a matter of downstairs or upstairs, it’s simply that if you are a customer facing person working in customer service your attire should reflect the values of the brand you are working for.

If I get into the Peninsula Hong Kong for a very expensive lunch, I expect everyone to be properly appointed and well dressed. My expectations are different if I enter an unbranded hotel. I both cases, I indeed treat everyone with the same respect.

And to be frank, you don’t need to spend hundreds to dress properly. If you do not respect yourself with a decent attire, how to you expect others to respect you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.