FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Uniform standards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1930332-uniform-standards.html)

1Aturnleft Sep 13, 2018 2:42 am

Uniform standards

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...20f870b0b0.jpg
I realise the workplace has changed significantly over the past 10yrs or so and that a more relaxed and informal dress code for general office attire is more the norm these days than it used to be.
I'm not sure I agree with these sentiments however when it comes to wearing a uniform. I've worn 2 in my working life and when I did I took pride in my appearance and tried to wear it well.
Without revealing his identity, I watched a MF crew process T5 earlier and snapped this shot. This was a departing crew fresh for a day of flying and not an inbound crew about to clock off.
While I don't have an issue with sneakers/trainers I do think there is a time and a place for everything and coupled with the Julian McDonald ensemble it looks way too casual and verges on making the individual look scruffy. Is this acceptable attire for a BA crew member or am I dire need of a reality check? Thoughts?

SKT-DK Sep 13, 2018 2:57 am

In general, no it is probably not acceptable - but there could be all sorts of (company approved) reasons, exceptions and what not as the reason for this particular crew member to wear such shoes. To me it looks like he is even trying to keep it as neutral (black) as possible to not stand out. I am sure there is a reason which is neither your nor my concern.

Guess this is the problem of smartphones and cameras everywhere - there is always someone around prepared to take your picture and stick it on a public website (and yes I realise there is no face, but still).

orbitmic Sep 13, 2018 3:01 am

Yes, there could be, for instance, medical reasons why this might be accepted whilst otherwise it probably is not. That said, if it was up to me, it would be wholly acceptable, I really do not mind. Similarly, I'm glad that female crews have now been able to change shoes after boarding to wear something comfortable in flight and actually wish they could do so at all times. Life is too short for people to need to be uncomfortable in order to look smart...

MFCC Sep 13, 2018 3:04 am

There will be a health reason for this. It will have been cleared by their own line manager as well as the CSM on the day. We’re not all allowed to wander around in trainers because we fancy it.
If you turned up to work wearing these without a valid reason, the chances of you being offloaded are pretty high I would’ve thought.

Can I help you Sep 13, 2018 3:09 am

There maybe a valid reason for them wearing training type shoes but the ones shown are not acceptable and I would have offloaded this crewmember.

Globaliser Sep 13, 2018 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30198669)
There maybe a valid reason for them wearing training type shoes but the ones shown are not acceptable and I would have offloaded this crewmember.

Even though he's displaying a stylised Speedmarque? :) (Sadly, the eBay page linked to no longer displays the offending item.)

SKT-DK Sep 13, 2018 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 30198691)
Even though he's displaying a stylised Speedmarque? :) (Sadly, the eBay page linked to no longer displays the offending item.)

It is upside down tough, which may be the reason - violating brand standards and all :D

Can I help you Sep 13, 2018 3:38 am

And not to mention the white soles which are far more obvious.

rossmacd Sep 13, 2018 3:50 am

If you want to talk about uniform standards, take a look at the smorgasbord still on show over at AA......you can still see LUS, LAA, new AA and a host of variations in between......:D

travelwithross Sep 13, 2018 3:53 am

If he has health reasons to wear those horrid things with his suit then he should at least wear just plain black ones.

Ive noticed an increase in crew with untidy hair, creased suits, loose fitting trousers (re: baggy) and even ladders on tights. And when you fly BA as little as me (probably around 10 times a year) these things stand out.

I realise not everyone will agree with me but when you’re competing with the likes of EK, EY and VS on key routes, your appearance goes a long way. And I know this doesn’t affect all crew - but generally I find MF much more presentable than EF or WW.

Just my two cents.

billyb750 Sep 13, 2018 4:00 am

Can't see the problem here. I assume he has a valid reason to be wearing non-standard footwear, in which case under the circumstances the shoes clearly strike a reasonable balance between comfort and smartness. Indeed, there are clearly worse footwear he could have chosen to wear. It isn't like he is wearing white sport trainers!!!

At the end of the day, I'd rather my plane leaves on time with a full crew roster, instead of the plane being delayed due to one crew member being offloaded for incorrect footwear. First world problem, much?!

MFCC Sep 13, 2018 4:00 am

Originally Posted by travelwithross (Post 30198736)
If he has health reasons to wear those horrid things with his suit then he should at least wear just plain black ones.

Ive noticed an increase in crew with untidy hair, creased suits, loose fitting trousers (re: baggy) and even ladders on tights. And when you fly BA as little as me (probably around 10 times a year) these things stand out.

I realise not everyone will agree with me but when you’re competing with the likes of EK, EY and VS on key routes, your appearance goes a long way. And I know this doesn’t affect all crew - but generally I find MF much more presentable than EF or WW.

Just my two cents.

The trousers are baggy on everyone, they’re just about the worst fitting things I’ve ever worn.

bhbloke Sep 13, 2018 4:25 am

Originally Posted by MFCC (Post 30198750)
The trousers are baggy on everyone, they’re just about the worst fitting things I’ve ever worn.

I'd agree with you there, the cut of the BA trousers does seem really bad.

Another thing I often notice, is the poor quality of the shirts worn by some of the chaps. I'm not sure if you are able to supply your own white shirts or they're BA issue, but some of the ones I've noticed and really thin and worn out. I think I'd keep my jacket on!

MFCC Sep 13, 2018 4:30 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 30198782)
I'd agree with you there, the cut of the BA trousers does seem really bad.

Another thing I often notice, is the poor quality of the shirts worn by some of the chaps. I'm not sure if you are able to supply your own white shirts or they're BA issue, but some of the ones I've noticed and really thin and worn out. I think I'd keep my jacket on!

The shirts are also BA issued, and also particularly ill fitting, especially on slimmer or shorter individuals. Some have had them 'tailored' privately to get them to fit slightly better but officially this isn't allowed and you run the risk of a CSM picking you up on this. If we're going to look bad, we all have to look bad together.

Can I help you Sep 13, 2018 4:31 am

All of our uniform is now made of poor quality/cheap materials and the design and cut needs updating, we are promised a new uniform for next year but I am not holding my breath especially for the quality.