Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA73 Abu Dhabi Flight Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Originally Posted by simons1
Dubai Airport to downtown AD is almost exactly 150km. Anyone expecting to do that in 40mins for £40 is in cloud cuckoo land.

40 mins from Dubai International might get you somewhere to the border of AD near the Last Stop refreshment place.
It said 40 minutes of additional driving, not in total. Presumably that means in addition to the normal time it takes to get from DXB to Dubai. Looking at google maps, not necessarily the Oracle but useful for planning. DXB to Jumeirah beach is 19 minutes. AUH to Jumeirah Beach is 1 h 11 minute. So 50 minutes additional drive time. Pretty accurate from Raffles in all fairness.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by sjc2679
It said 40 minutes of additional driving, not in total. Presumably that means in addition to the normal time it takes to get from DXB to Dubai. Looking at google maps, not necessarily the Oracle but useful for planning. DXB to Jumeirah beach is 19 minutes. AUH to Jumeirah Beach is 1 h 11 minute. So 50 minutes additional drive time. Pretty accurate from Raffles in all fairness.
.... and 40 minutes at midnight which is when the UK flights hit!

AUH to Jumeirah was 65 minutes in total last time we did it.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Hilton Honours, IHG Rewards
Originally Posted by Raffles
Why didn't you move to a Dubai flight? Grand total of £40 of taxi fee and 40 minutes of additional driving, even assuming you are heading away from Dubai when you leave AUH.
Just took the easiest option I think. Hubby cannot remember if he was actually given any other options. Still waiting for the avios and fee to be refunded.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by sjc2679
As the first one to have called this claim into question, my logic is that the vast majority of people flying in and out of AUH are coming from or going to Abu Dhabi island, further away from DXB than AUH. (In fact the OP asserts his claim "even assuming you are heading away from Dubai when you leave AUH.") In my mind that means the proper measurement -- and I think this is the proper measurement -- is the distance from AUH to DXB, since most people will have to travel that distance in addition to the distance between AUH and Abu Dhabi island. That distance is 127 km, or about 75-85 minutes of driving time depending on traffic. Alternatively, you can measure the difference from a specific point in Abu Dhabi. From my home, google maps tells me the drive to AUH is 21 minutes, and to DXB it's 83 minutes. (Based on my experience, those are very accurate estimates.) So that's an incremental 62 minutes of driving. For 40 minutes to be accurate, you'd have to be coming from or going to the Dubai side of AUH, and while that's accurate for some people, it won't be accurate for the vast majority, and it will not be accurate almost all tourist or business visitors to the city.

Ok, we've beaten this one pretty good!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A friend of mine is flying out Y and back W, or at least was. She's been downgraded to Y on the return. They refuse to upgrade her to J, there has been no mention of any compensation and they will only refund her the difference in cost after the flight. She's Silver.

Poor show. Apparently the agent was very unhelpful.

Worth phoning back and having another go at least re compensation?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Horatio
A friend of mine is flying out Y and back W, or at least was. She's been downgraded to Y on the return. They refuse to upgrade her to J, there has been no mention of any compensation and they will only refund her the difference in cost after the flight. She's Silver.

She should ask to be moved onto a Dubai flight, the email BA sent to affected passengers says that they can do this. If they can't or won't do that then she should remind them of their obligations under EU261 and insist on receiving the appropriate level of compensation.

Last edited by cosmo74; Oct 3, 2018 at 2:27 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Horatio

As noted they can change to DXB:

Rebook onto a British Airways operated service between London (LHR) and Dubai (DXB) or v.v., either up to 3 days before OR 3 days after the original travel date.

Rebook into the same class or lowest available in the same cabin.

Advise customer that any consequential costs for the change in gateway will be at their own expense, e.g. taxi, hotel, car hire, public transport. Add a remark into the booking that you have advised the customer.
Additional notes for those booked in WTP:

There is no World Traveller Plus cabin on the KF operated flight, so all customers have been rebooked into KF’s Economy cabin.

If the customer no longer wishes to travel on a KF operated flight:
The customer may use the value of their ticket towards the purchase of a new ticket to an alternative destination

If the customer still wishes to travel in the Economy Cabin on a KF operated flight:
Customer will receive the appropriate % refund value –this will be automatically processed once the customer has travelled by Global Refunds (do not Q booking). The customer will retain World Traveller Plus baggage allowance and Avios / Tier Point earning
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Worth saying that todays BA73 has been delayed by about 4 hours; presumably the a/c has gone tech?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.