Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World: How do they get away with it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:37 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by unmesh
Came here because I need to choose between BA and VS+9W for my wife and I for our first flight in Business Class, going between SFO and BOM. This is meant to be a splurge.

Having read through the thread, I'm still not sure whether the backward facing "honeymoon seats" are a good or a bad thing?

And does booking through AA waive the early seat assignment fee? If not, I will pay it to get the seats we want.

Thanks.
Is Emirates not an option? Far nicer than the options you've mentioned. And no fees for business class seats.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by FT01
You don't mention how much you paid.
I'm not asking for that info, but I get UK to USA return for £1300 in CW. That's why they get my business.
If the other airlines matched it regularly, then quality would come into it more. I'm just happy with a flat bed (always a rear-facing window seat, or I'm not going) and I put my screen up and avoid the BO & coughing of others.

On a footnote, Virgin is normally between £2000 & £2800 for the same fare.
Certainly can't get that price from the US to the UK, also never able to get avios redemptions in WTP or CW.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
The issue here is the slot system at LHR, airlines can't compete even if they wanted to.
No, this is not true either. The slot system, their scarcity and their price make it more difficult for airlines to grow at LHR than at airports that are not so slot-constrained. But slots do become available - just look at the new entrants that come to LHR all the time, including some on my list that have actually not yet started. And just as BA starts some services in competition with other airlines and then withdraws, so too some other airlines start routes in competition with BA and then withdraw. Saying that other airlines can't compete simply isn't true.
Originally Posted by BenA
LHR is heavily slot controlled, and BA has license (licence?) to a large portion of the capacity.
And that makes BA dominant at LHR, which cannot be doubted. (But IIRC it is not as dominant as AF at CDG or LH at FRA, by proportion of slots.) But that is not a monopoly; there is still plenty of competition.

Interestingly, when a large package of LHR slots was on the market a few years back (its forthcoming availability having been obvious to all for a long time before that), BA ended up being the only serious contender for them. Where were all the competitors then who were so desperate to compete at LHR?

As I said, life is much more complicated.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Lefly
IF the blind works...
On my last flight on CW the blind didn't want to stay up, so for most of the flight it was face to face with the neighbor.
Fold up some paper and cram it in; to force it to stay up? Or bring some duct tape? I know I would only deal with it once.....thanks Boy Scouts...be prepared! Yes I realize we shouldn't have to but you described the reality of today's travel environment.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, this is not true either. The slot system, their scarcity and their price make it more difficult for airlines to grow at LHR than at airports that are not so slot-constrained. But slots do become available - just look at the new entrants that come to LHR all the time, including some on my list that have actually not yet started. And just as BA starts some services in competition with other airlines and then withdraws, so too some other airlines start routes in competition with BA and then withdraw. Saying that other airlines can't compete simply isn't true.And that makes BA dominant at LHR, which cannot be doubted. (But IIRC it is not as dominant as AF at CDG or LH at FRA, by proportion of slots.) But that is not a monopoly; there is still plenty of competition.

Interestingly, when a large package of LHR slots was on the market a few years back (its forthcoming availability having been obvious to all for a long time before that), BA ended up being the only serious contender for them. Where were all the competitors then who were so desperate to compete at LHR?

As I said, life is much more complicated.
Come on, the slots are what millions? That's a lot of cashish! If it was free as in no needing to pay for slots (its ridiculous to have to pay to fly for slots, that's against the principles of an open market is it not); that's what I meant.
I want unlimited traffic in LHR, and that would require 4 runways. They should get rid of the cargo terminal and make some new terminals. Maybe get rid of a few of the hotels surrounding the airport as well? They are unnecessary.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
I thought it was probably worth doing this exercise again: For all Wikipedia's faults, its listings of airlines and direct destinations from any airport are usually pretty accurate. For the sake of simplicity, I've taken LHR alone and ignored planned route introductions and terminations (as there's a large element of swings and roundabouts in those). I've included seasonal routes for the same reasons. Cities with more than one airports are counted once, except for JFK/EWR. Joint venture partners are counted as separate airlines, because we're looking at seat products so (for example) AA's 77W business class seat does compete against BA's CW seat.

On this basis, LHR currently has 212 routes. Of these, BA has a monopoly on 68:-
1. Abuja.............

...........87. Zurich (2: British Airways, Swiss International Air Lines)
Impressive info Globaliser !
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:40 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
Much discussed elsewhere. This is not quite the money grabbing exercise it appears to be, it's (at least in part) a way of ensuring the most loyal customers get preferred seats regardless of when they book. It works rather well. As a non-status pax I was able to travel 747 UD because I was prepared to pay and now as a status pax I can pick my preferred seats every time. Without this system the best seats would simply be snapped up for free on a first come, first served basis with no regard to customer loyalty.
IMO this is a specious argument. (a) American-based airlines mostly do not charge for seat assignments, not even in economy, and you can select your seat at the time of booking. (b) Trying to save the best seats for the most loyal customers, even if they can't be bothered to book early enough to get them, is a typically BAEC mindset, and to my way of thinking rather incestuous. You want the best seats? Then book early enough to get them. It's the same as booking a seat in the theatre. First come, first served!

If OP wants a J experience to New York, he can fly UA to EWR and not only probably pay less than on BA but get a seat assignment at the time of booking for no extra charge.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by 1P
IMO this is a specious argument. (a) American-based airlines mostly do not charge for seat assignments, not even in economy, and you can select your seat at the time of booking. (b) Trying to save the best seats for the most loyal customers, even if they can't be bothered to book early enough to get them, is a typically BAEC mindset, and to my way of thinking rather incestuous. You want the best seats? Then book early enough to get them. It's the same as booking a seat in the theatre. First come, first served!

If OP wants a J experience to New York, he can fly UA to EWR and not only probably pay less than on BA but get a seat assignment at the time of booking for no extra charge.
The requirement to travel is not always quite the same as planning to go and see Mama Mia at the Palladium!

Some of the most expensive fares will be booked last
minute, should those paying the highest fares be excluded from the best seats as they didn’t know about a business meeting 300 days in advance, or that a relative would die?!

Most US airlines very much charge for the better seats in economy and even airlines lauded on here, like Swiss, charge for reserving the better seats in their J cabins.

You can reserve seats for free on BA, 24 hours pre departure, or pay if you want to be sure to sit where you want.

I loved the policy when I had a Silver card, less so now I don’t, it is what it is though, would I book another carrier due to it, everything else being equal? Yes. Things are rarely equal enough for it to be a decider though
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Booking through AA does not waive the seat assignment fee.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Any BA seat is better than any VS seat in my eyes, even if you sit apart.The VS lounge is hugely superior to the BA one though, if you have to change on VS but not on BA, then BA is the clear winner Id suggest.

There is no skipping the fees via AA. Personally I would go for a window/ aisle combo on BA if I were you, the 'honeymoon' seats aren't anywhere near as close as people make out, being able to look at your partner is a far more pleasurable experience.
I have Amex Platinum so there may be additional lounge choices at LHR

And good to know about seat assignment fees since miles/points earned seem to be different when booked on BA vs AA. Made a booking on their website and the seat assignment fee is greater than $100 per segment!

Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
I suspect my wife would beg to differ.
I will have to check with my wife on this one

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Is Emirates not an option? Far nicer than the options you've mentioned. And no fees for business class seats.
Certainly an option though EK wants USD1000 more than VS+9W at this time and USD500 more than BA after factoring in seat assignment fees

Last edited by unmesh; Sep 4, 2018 at 6:18 pm Reason: Additional information provided
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels

why do people who don’t really fly at all continue to post about BA?
You seem to know more about me than my missus does.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 1P
You want the best seats? Then book early enough to get them. It's the same as booking a seat in the theatre. First come, first served!
That's a fabulous way of treating your best customers worst. It can only be seriously said with all the smugness of someone whose travel needs extend no further than holidays planned and booked months in advance.
User Name likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
They get away with it because the cash cow North Atlantic routes have so little competition that they can do.

There are effectively only 3 airlines operating the North Atlantic from LHR, none except VS offer a service which is much different to CW.

Airline 1: BA/AA/IB/AY/EI
Airline 2: VS/DL plus Skyteam
Airline 3: UA/AC plus Star.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I think its a matter of BA knows their customers well, and can generally get away with 'murder'. The planes are full, so BA feels they are doing fine. When they feel they are struggling a bit too much, they do change a bit, such as the Club World seats as people are mentioning.

I wouldn't rate BA a bad airline, more of an average one. Skytrax 3 stars would sound about right.
If it was "murder" they were getting away with, then the CW cabin would be either empty or filled with people looking unhappy - outside of complaints on forums such as these, which represent a small percentage of flyers, there's no regular outrage in the media. They have a strong product offering with a flat bed for a good price. Yep, it has it's compromises, nope, I'm sure it's not as good as Singapore or Qatar or <insert name here>, but it pleases a sufficient number of people that BA balance sheets are looking healthier again, and they are rising back up through the Skytrax ranks (this year 31, last 40),

As for Skytrax, BA are a four star airline, same as Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Finnair, Emirates,, KLM, Qantas, Thai, Air Canada, Air New Zealand etc., and better than all the NA airlines which only have three stars.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:43 am
Suspended

Virgin and Delta really should get their act together across the Atlantic, healthy competition would be great.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
More usually, I suspect, it's because the person doing the whingeing is not the person doing the paying.
Exactly so. That. I think is why people seem to have such a grievance. I think that in the majority of cases, they have no choice. To say that there is a "Monopoly" is disingenuous and clearly (thank you Globaliser) untrue. It is as though someone reads the Forum and picks up on every single complaint ever leveled at BA and regurgitated it. There are weaknesses that the airline needs to address and address promptly - but it is rare that all manifest themselves on the same flight. Equally, if you go looking for fault, you will find it.

I simply do not understand what if people are so dissatisfied they continue to fly with them and conclude that they have no choice in the matter.

We must however concede that this is not the real world that most people inhabit. I do not know a single person, outside of this Forum, who flies to collect Tier Points or Miles and deliberately includes extra flights in order to do so. Most people would consider it insane to travel to a further point (AMS, DUB, INV - or God Help us OTP ( Why is it Bucharest OTP? Is is the name of the airport as in ORY, CDG, FCO, LIN etc? ) in order to get the fare cheaper when it involves extra travel, night stops, B2Bs and the like. We know that we can save a fortune - whether this survives post Brexit is of course a matter for conjecture - but for now this is the case. All of this is for what? To sit in a Lounge about which I complain ? To sit on an aircraft in a seat that others cannot book? To get on the plane before everyone else? To many people it would seem ridiculous to spend all this money in pursuit of this nirvana. Please I am not criticising, I am merely trying to recognising that our views and our opinions may be terribly distorted at times.

People have bad experiences on all airlines - this is clear from this entire Board. That BA has to up its game is beyond question. However, most people as evidenced by the sheer number of bottoms filling seats and that fact that the yields do not look bad from what I have seen, I must conclude that either these people's expectations are low and thus easily fulfilled, ordo not feel prepared to give themselves the fuss of making changes, or ours are more exacting,

To return to where this started, this is a British carrier and there is a person aboard soley to deal with service issues. Try getting a service issue sorted on a US carrier where no one is in charge and see how far that gets you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.