Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World: How do they get away with it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Originally Posted by enviroian
BA club world is the worst J product out there on possibly one of the worst airlines period. OP was dead on with this comments as I thought the same after flying them to LHR and back last year from the US. The food is simply inedible, and the seat is awful and you have to climb over the passenger next to you. The planes are flying relics too.

Rubbish there are so many J products worse than Club World. I admit that it is not without fault but at least you know exactly what are you going to get seat wise when you book CW with BA.
AF and TK on the other hand... unless you get their 777-300 then their offering is worse than club world many of the AF A330 don't even have lie flats
KLM and LH have better storage but offer less privacy than CW and you still have to climb over someones legs if you are in the window seat.
I believe DL still fly 757 across the pond with domestic first class seats sold as business
QF A380 product is an even less private version of LH's offering
You could even make a case for CW over EK (seat wise only I might add). The A380 seats are far too narrow 17.5 inches all to accommodate a mini bar that keeps your drinks nice and warm and the new 777 offering although very nice looking still has middle seats with your face right next to two strangers when asleep ( perhaps I'm pushing it a bit with EK?)

CW is no Q suites thats for sure but it is far from the worse J product out there
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:24 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
The food is garbage and tasteless. My spaniel wouldn't eat it. The seats were good when Clinton was in office--the IFE screen? Storage? Climbing over someone?
I flew from DOH to ICN with QR and going back the same way in a few days. 773 so climbing over someone guaranteed, plus coffin for the feet, also the bed is actually higher than CW so you have to climb higher. You have to climb over a higher point of your neighbour's body, so more likely to disturb. Oh and no privacy at all in the window seat whereas plenty of that in CW. Even the "favourite business class in the world" is pretty naff sometimes.

Flight back to CWL better as 787, but that is the shorter of the two flights. Mindnumbingly dull 9 hours in DOH in the middle of the outbound trip. Didn't chance a trip into the city - might have done with a daytime stop.

Last edited by itsmeitisss; Sep 10, 2018 at 7:32 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:30 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I flew from DOH to ICN with QR and going back the same way in a few days. 773 so climbing over someone guaranteed, plus coffin for the feet, also the bed is actually higher than CW so you have to climb higher. You have to climb over a higher point of your neighbour's body, so more likely to disturb. Oh and no privacy at all in the window seat whereas plenty of that in CW. Even the "favourite business class in the world" is pretty naff sometimes.

Flight back to CWL better as 787, but that is the shorter of the two flights. Mindnumbingly dull 9 hours in DOH in the middle of the outbound trip. Didn't chance a trip into the city - might have done with a daytime stop.
Just another example of it all being individual opinion, as I’m a big fan of the QR ‘old’ seats. Very spacious, and I would prefer this seat over a reverse herringbone if travelling with someone I know. Flying solo, not so great obviously.

Considering the bad mouthing of BA on here, I was pleasantly surprised with my CW seat on the upper deck of the A380, extra room next to the window and direct aisle access (in my case). The inconsistency in both the hard and soft product could easily change that by a significant amount, which I guess is the problem. My food on that BA flight was as good as anything I’ve had on QR, but that is very likely to be an exception and the average will almost certainly be lower.

BA, please go with the Apex Suite for your new CW, you would actually have a fantastic hard product for once. Won’t happen, but we can only dream.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:35 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by PxC

Just another example of it all being individual opinion, as I’m a big fan of the QR ‘old’ seats. Very spacious, and I would prefer this seat over a reverse herringbone if travelling with someone I know. Flying solo, not so great obviously.

Considering the bad mouthing of BA on here, I was pleasantly surprised with my CW seat on the upper deck of the A380, extra room next to the window and direct aisle access (in my case). The inconsistency in both the hard and soft product could easily change that by a significant amount, which I guess is the problem. My food on that BA flight was as good as anything I’ve had on QR, but that is very likely to be an exception and the average will almost certainly be lower.

BA, please go with the Apex Suite for your new CW, you would actually have a fantastic hard product for once. Won’t happen, but we can only dream.
I was challenging eniroian's ssesment of CW being worst partly because you have to climb over someone. In the old QR seat there is no real barrier between you and your neighbour. Not even a full screen, just a pull out one. I would take a CW window seat over an old QR J seat any day of the week, and I haven't even had the White Company treatment as of yet.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ThrowingBoeing
Rubbish there are so many J products worse than Club World. I admit that it is not without fault but at least you know exactly what are you going to get seat wise when you book CW with BA.
AF and TK on the other hand... unless you get their 777-300 then their offering is worse than club world many of the AF A330 don't even have lie flats
KLM and LH have better storage but offer less privacy than CW and you still have to climb over someones legs if you are in the window seat.
I believe DL still fly 757 across the pond with domestic first class seats sold as business
You could even make a case for CW over EK (seat wise only I might add). The A380 seats are far too narrow 17.5 inches all to accommodate a mini bar that keeps your drinks nice and warm and the new 777 offering although very nice looking still has middle seats with your face right next to two strangers when asleep ( perhaps I'm pushing it a bit with EK?)

CW is no Q suites thats for sure but it is far from the worse J product out there
I completely agree with you that CW is far from the worst J product out there. To me, by now, it is "third quartile", but by no means the worst. On the details, a few disagreements.

First, note that QF 380s are getting refitted with the excellent J seats they have on the 330s and 789s, so whilst you say has been true historically on that one, it won't be any more. I'm also not aware of DL flying domestic 757s transatlantic nowadays but I may well be wrong on that as they have so many routes and I have obviously not tried all of them. That said, I know some people do not like the DL 767 seats which they find too narrow but I personally prefer all long haul DL seat configurations to CW.

I also do not agree that CW offers privacy. CW window seats offer excellent privacy (and solo centre seats in 2-3-2 cabins), which is something quite different, but I think you actually get a much greater sense of privacy in KL and LH seats (and I was and still am one of the LH sceptics) than in other CW seats, including aisles where you are so close and unprotected from your neighbour.

Like you I do not like the TK configuration that much. However, it is only fair to point out that the TK soft product is heads and shoulders above the BA one (even post-changes which have improved CW significantly) and one of the best around.

In any case, I agree with the general point that to me, those who claim that CW is something like the worst J around , some glorified premium economy, or some similar radical catastrophe are using quite a bit of green dye to colour the neighbour's grass. It is, however, decidedly average. I still like using it personally to the extent that I tend to book my flights in advance and with status can virtually always get a window seat and usually one of the "good" ones, and so much the better if it is BA's oldest planes (ie the slowly disappearing 747s), and I have acknowledged many times that the new CW soft product concept has been a very significant improvement which, whilst not making the BA soft product world leading by any standard, has at least put much of it on par with the good half of the competition, but without a window, I find the experience frankly underwhelming (to the point that when travelling with my partner, we now get two windows rather than sit together).

So whilst by no means the worst, it is also not a case that only the Q suite and a handful of products would be preferable to CW. It is more that CW has slipped from world leading when first launched to comparatively good about 5-10 years ago to below average by today's standards, and much of the competition is improving by big to giant leaps even if they have not yet finished converting all of their fleet in some cases (e.g. AF as you very rightly point out). Time to bring the new CW.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I completely agree with you that CW is far from the worst J product out there. To me, by now, it is "third quartile", but by no means the worst. On the details, a few disagreements.

First, note that QF 380s are getting refitted with the excellent J seats they have on the 330s and 789s, so whilst you say has been true historically on that one, it won't be any more. I'm also not aware of DL flying domestic 757s transatlantic nowadays but I may well be wrong on that as they have so many routes and I have obviously not tried all of them. That said, I know some people do not like the DL 767 seats which they find too narrow but I personally prefer all long haul DL seat configurations to CW.

I also do not agree that CW offers privacy. CW window seats offer excellent privacy (and solo centre seats in 2-3-2 cabins), which is something quite different, but I think you actually get a much greater sense of privacy in KL and LH seats (and I was and still am one of the LH sceptics) than in other CW seats, including aisles where you are so close and unprotected from your neighbour.

Like you I do not like the TK configuration that much. However, it is only fair to point out that the TK soft product is heads and shoulders above the BA one (even post-changes which have improved CW significantly) and one of the best around.

In any case, I agree with the general point that to me, those who claim that CW is something like the worst J around , some glorified premium economy, or some similar radical catastrophe are using quite a bit of green dye to colour the neighbour's grass. It is, however, decidedly average. I still like using it personally to the extent that I tend to book my flights in advance and with status can virtually always get a window seat and usually one of the "good" ones, and so much the better if it is BA's oldest planes (ie the slowly disappearing 747s), and I have acknowledged many times that the new CW soft product concept has been a very significant improvement which, whilst not making the BA soft product world leading by any standard, has at least put much of it on par with the good half of the competition, but without a window, I find the experience frankly underwhelming (to the point that when travelling with my partner, we now get two windows rather than sit together).

So whilst by no means the worst, it is also not a case that only the Q suite and a handful of products would be preferable to CW. It is more that CW has slipped from world leading when first launched to comparatively good about 5-10 years ago to below average by today's standards, and much of the competition is improving by big to giant leaps even if they have not yet finished converting all of their fleet in some cases (e.g. AF as you very rightly point out). Time to bring the new CW.
A very well worded and balanced post!

I particularly liked "using quite a bit of green dye to colour the neighbour's grass"
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
Originally Posted by orbitmic

All very fair points. I completely agree what was industry leading 20 years ago clearly isn't today but as you mention the new catering and soft product have made a big difference. CW is usually well priced on most routes and couple that with status benefits and CW is an average J product overall. If CW was that much of a disaster BA would have gone out business long ago. I think some see it as fashionable to dislike all aspects of Club World. I hear Alitalia has a good J seat ?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I hear Alitalia has a good J seat ?
I believe that they have now started a new one which I have not tried yet, but indeed, the one I have is very good IMHO (similar to the IB J seat). The food is also truly excellent which is paradoxical when you consider that just about 10 years ago, AZ had not only the worst food but - bizarrely enough - probably the worst coffee in the sky. Their back office sucks so IRROPS can be a bit of a challenge (though as ST elite plus, I must say they have usually ended up resolving issues extremely efficiently and generously with me) but the inflight experience is very good indeed. Their lounges have just been completely revamped too.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
BA biz seats are narrow but the lack of a foot coffin is a great thing for those of us with mild claustrophobia. HATE the hard product on Swiss, Austrian, Delta (767 at least), etc. Favorite biz is the AA 777W but also like IB, AZ and BA. Food and service are fine with BA
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by bigwalrus
Maybe I'm not demanding enough (perhaps my baseline reference point is Y so it's not a fair comparison) but I really like CW.
I generally like CW too, as long as I can get the upper deck on a 747...
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Going back to the original points - but what was the climate like in BA when they were groundbreaking? When they put flat beds on every long haul flight and provided consistency across the board? We're really looking late 90's / early 00's I assume?

That was a costly, innovative and successful formula that BA have stuck to and it's reaped dividends. Yet they had a bigger monopoly back then. So i'm wondering what drove that then? I can't remember any other airline taking such a bold step (apart from Emirates with providing seat back TVs for all economy passengers perhaps?). Backward facing seats were a risky strategy - something new, but something that worried people with the 'unknown' - there was a massive trade campaign back then as to why people didn't need to worry about sitting backwards! So why will BA not take the next big step moving forward with their cabins? Has it simply been decided that moving large quantities of business travellers on flat beds is the be all and end all, and there is no future innovation possible, bar perhaps wifi?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC
I find CW fine too (only flown it about 10 times) but my last flight was UD on the A380 in 56D and the lack of storage really became apparent. On all previous flights I had the side bins so never noticed the storage issues, not a major issue for me by any means but I'll be trying harder (paying) for a window seat next time.......
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

You are forgetting that all those Tesco-earned avios are no good on those airlines, so perhaps they do not exist in comparison for the people claiming that CW is the seventh circle of hell. So maybe the comparison presented is BA vs pictures of ground-breaking products from other airlines

(ThrowingBoeing, I completely agree with you that there are many, many other products out there which are worse than CW!)
ThrowingBoeing likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
So i'm wondering what drove that then?
I suspect that at least part of the answer is that customers then had (or, rather, were prepared to spend) much larger amounts of cash on travel.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:27 am

Apparently I am one of the few people who dislike CW window seats. Feels awfully cramped, makes hailing cabin crew more difficult and involves stepping over someone. Must say that I don't care about the privacy thing many people here seem to feel so strongly about. If fellow travellers get warm and fuzzy by seeing me sleep, more power to them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.