Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World: How do they get away with it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by muscat
a bit of card ripped off the menu and wedged in does the trick. Surprised the crew didn’t offer this service.
I don't know how to explain it clearly, but I don't know if it would have worked; the problem seemed to be the "engine": once the blind was halfway up, it moved back to bring the blind down again.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by icegirl
In that you have no choice in the matter as there are fewer alternatives or all other carriers are fully booked
Yes, no one books CW out of their own will; and I can only imagine how fully booked carriers like DL and AA must be if they are shrinking their business class cabins...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
At it's worst, with old aircraft with dated entertainment, and lacklustre (albeit never truly awful) crew, CW is a very disappointing experience. At it's best and at the right price it is a decent product. That's about as much as I can say about it.
I love your signature.

To me CW = the best Premier Economy class in the world.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by chongcao
To me CW = the best Premier Economy class in the world.
By all means do send us the list of other premium economy products with fully flat beds, and the type of catering the new CW offers.

i do not hesitate to criticise CW, often harshly, but with respect, calling it premium economy is just silly.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Any J seat/flatbed compared to a PE one is a huge difference right across the board whatever airline it is. That's the big step up I'd say whether it's Virgin, BA, CX, QF, AA etc.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
BA has a large proportion of LHR slots but there is only a handful of routes where BA does not face competition. I am surprised how hard some find it to look past their own preferences and to accept that maybe no one is forced to fly BA but that people simply find CW acceptable or they like it or they don't care that it is 20 years old. Not everyone is preoccupied with a particular seat design so there is nothing to get away with. Let's just assume that since everyone who hates CW stopped flying it (as they said they would), those who are flying CW these days actually want to do it for one reason or another, and there is no point in trying to figure out why they do it.
Originally Posted by orbitmic

By all means do send us the list of other premium economy products with fully flat beds, and the type of catering the new CW offers.

i do not hesitate to criticise CW, often harshly, but with respect, calling it premium economy is just silly.
Well said Orbitmic! ^
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Let me give you my perspective then. I've just flown on the 747 UD with some decent seats, and while this may be a bit of an ideal scenario, I would do it again.

I'm going to hit at least Silver every year with 50 segments, and since I'm gonna fly that much, Gold is a nice plus when the money is available. And, if I want to hit Gold, I upgrade the long-haul flights that I would do anyway to Club. My estimate is that most of the money it costs me to upgrade (I do ex-EU trips, mostly) I get back down the line in Avios or benefits. (Yes I calculate all that in a spreadsheet)

I also just like flying in itself, as all my travel is leisure, so paying 300 quid more for a nice convoluted ex-EU trip to my destination in Club is a lot more fun than compared to taking a direct flight in Economy.

I'd consider other airlines but for my destinations they are almost always much more expensive (except for AA, which I haven't tried, but to be fair, I'm not sure I'd prefer either). Remember, I'm paying the equivalent of a few hundred to upgrade a long haul flight so I can have some good sleep and some space to myself, I don't want to pay double that to fly in a slightly better Business class.
Padmeister likes this.

Last edited by thebigben; Sep 4, 2018 at 6:01 am
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic

With due respect, next time when you pay £999 for AMS-BKK return or £1299 INV-ORD return in CW, just remember the price is not far away from normal Premier Economy fares. Of course I did not mean literally CW is a PE. No one would believe in that. But, I am sure people all agree that BA's CW product can be bought at the PE fare level.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by icegirl
In that you have no choice in the matter as there are fewer alternatives or all other carriers are fully booked
More usually, I suspect, it's because the person doing the whingeing is not the person doing the paying.

In the cases in which the person who is serially whingeing about CW is the person who is serially paying for the CW they're whingeing about, they either need their head examining or they need to be more intellectually honest about why they've picked CW so many times.
Andriyko, Padmeister and thebigben like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I thought it was probably worth doing this exercise again: For all Wikipedia's faults, its listings of airlines and direct destinations from any airport are usually pretty accurate. For the sake of simplicity, I've taken LHR alone and ignored planned route introductions and terminations (as there's a large element of swings and roundabouts in those). I've included seasonal routes for the same reasons. Cities with more than one airports are counted once, except for JFK/EWR. Joint venture partners are counted as separate airlines, because we're looking at seat products so (for example) AA's 77W business class seat does compete against BA's CW seat.

On a further 57 routes, other airlines have a monopoly on the route:-
Agree that there is competition, but one should be comparing the frequency of flights, not just the number of airlines on a particular route. In addition, due to the JBAs that BA has, one does need to consider BA + other airlines to get a true view of the level of competition.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimEddie
In addition, due to the JBAs that BA has, one does need to consider BA + other airlines to get a true view of the level of competition.
This doesn't matter when the complaint is about BA's seat. There is, for example, competition between BA and AA on this: if you don't like BA's seat, you can choose AA's seat instead. BA's seat is not in a monopoly position if there is an AA alternative, which is the topic at hand.
Andriyko and HIDDY like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This doesn't matter when the complaint is about BA's seat. There is, for example, competition between BA and AA on this: if you don't like BA's seat, you can choose AA's seat instead. BA's seat is not in a monopoly position if there is an AA alternative, which is the topic at hand.
When there is revenue sharing, for example on a US route, BA doesn't particularly care if you're on their flights or an AA flight. They still share the revenue. So if BA+AA have a monopoly, or even a very high share of the flights, on a route there isn't really an incentive for BA to do anything about the CW hard product.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:04 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
With due respect, next time when you pay £999 for AMS-BKK return or £1299 INV-ORD return in CW, just remember the price is not far away from normal Premier Economy fares. Of course I did not mean literally CW is a PE. No one would believe in that. But, I am sure people all agree that BA's CW product can be bought at the PE fare level.
Comparing apples with oranges - just remember that this is not the price offered out of London. Nobody trots off to Inverness unless they have to.As for the OP, the only thing that I queried was the disappearance of the crew. In you seat there is a call button, that's there to summon a crew member if you want anything. The seat reservation issue however I agree with - it's a disgrace but the Elites here kick off if anyone suggests that there perk might be devalued.

As for the getting away with - I think that has been answered by those who know far more than me.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimEddie
When there is revenue sharing, for example on a US route, BA doesn't particularly care if you're on their flights or an AA flight. They still share the revenue. So if BA+AA have a monopoly, or even a very high share of the flights, on a route there isn't really an incentive for BA to do anything about the CW hard product.
In that list, AA/BA only have a direct monopoly on three routes: DFW, PHL and PHX. Otherwise, BA would notice if customers who insisted on flying direct really were booking either AA or anyone else but BA.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
But, I am sure people all agree that BA's CW product can be bought at the PE fare level.
And so can QR business class from certain cities, so what? It makes neither airline's business class premium economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.