Wiki Posts
Search

Air Belgium operating BA route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
​​​​​
Manage to glean any info from the crew Arpy ?
How was the flight ? What metal was it onoin the end ? Crew ? Food etc...?
Did they hint as to whether it was only for a few days or might last longer ?

Cheers.
I have been seeing/hearing lots of good things about Air Belgium actually. It is still in Finnair configuration. Here is a review from a CRL-HKG flight but should be comparable to the BA lease apart from the loads.

https://onemileatatime.com/air-belgi...-class-review/
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

I’ve just flown back to London on BA154 operated by Air Belgium. They were only covering the route for 3 days and tonight’s flight from London onwards is due to be BA Dreamliner again. The Air Belgium plane (OO-ABB) is now back in Brussels

Overall flight was fine, seats were a little tight for width but shoulder width was ok and legroom was fine (economy)

You could tell the crew weren’t used to working together or in harmony though. During service they were having to confer between them how certain things should be served and did generally look a bit lost

They initially came round the cabin on a water or juice run about 30 mins after take off. I asked for alcohol but was scorned that ‘this is a morning service sir’.

When she seen my displeasure at her answer, she said she’d ask if the alcohol cart could be opened and would bring some with the food service

When food was served up (BA carts, BA trays/hot food), they were again offering juice or water. I could see the white wine that I’d requested on the earlier run so I asked for that but she had to go and check with another staff member whether she could give it to me and how it should be served. She was told it was my wine and just to give me the bottle and a glass which she did

The staff were definitely not used to the carts/trays and one especially was struggling to control it. When she pulled out a tray with the usual BA temperature check tab thingiemajigger on top, she was very confused and didn’t know what to do so just sidelined it to the top of the cart. A few passengers in front of me asked for sugar but the crew didn’t know where it would be and said they’d have a look. The passengers then discovered the sugar was already on their meal tray

During the flight the seatbelt signs were put on, during the check to ensure everyone was belted up, the sign went off again so the CC retreated back to the galley. Just as people started going to the toilet/moving around, the captain then put the sign back on, literally only a minute after he’d turned it off (with no turbulence evident, or forthcoming). It caused a bit of confusion and the CC didn’t bother doing another cabin sweep

The IFE system was quite old and poor. Not as bad as an old BA 747 I’ve been on previously but not too much better either. There was a choice of 42 movies I think it was but I didn’t bother with any of them

Unfortunately overall it wasn’t a pleasant flight for me due to a nearby passengers poor hygiene, but that’s the joys of public travel

My biggest bug bear with the Dreamliner is the lack of individual air jets at each seat and the IFE units under the seats of aisle seats which limits leg room

Thankfully the Air Belgium A340-313 didn’t have the boxes and had air jets so I was reasonably happy
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
An update on Air Belgium's operations:

http://www.brusselstimes.com/busines...hong-kong-link
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Unfortunately the airline has ceased all scheduled operations but there is some hope for them moving to being a leased flight operator in the short-medium term.

Source:
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:34 am

The crew on the AUH route told me on Friday that they had just signed a 3 month contract with BA.

I have a suspicion this will be extend a bit.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dubh
The crew on the AUH route told me on Friday that they had just signed a 3 month contract with BA.

I wonder if they'll be switching back to the Cairo route, sticking with AUH or going for a new one altogether?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by cosmo74
I wonder if they'll be switching back to the Cairo route, sticking with AUH or going for a new one altogether?
CAI goes back to a mid-haul A321 for the winter, so on paper going there wouldn't free up B789 issues, although apparently CAI is often busy enough even in the winter now to require a bigger aircraft sometimes.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Dubh

Yes, I heard the same thing on the way to Abu Dhabi yesterday.

I found the cabin a bit dismal in comparison to CW, but the crew were clearly working very hard to make a good impression and seemed to be very happy to have the opportunity. It was an enjoyable flight.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
PE passangers

What happens to PE passengers booked on AUH route? Downgrade to Y or Upgrade to C, similar situation for F passengers?
I'm booked on AUH flights on 8th October and it mentioning Air Belgium but can't select seats.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Atlantico
What happens to PE passengers booked on AUH route? Downgrade to Y or Upgrade to C, similar situation for F passengers?
I'm booked on AUH flights on 8th October and it mentioning Air Belgium but can't select seats.
Downgrade or option to fly to Dubai instead.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:45 am

Well I did one trip in September and got upgraded, but my 2 trips in October were switched to economy on MMB. I was switched to WT+ on the 107 into Dubai for both on the phone....No upgrades this time.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:55 am

Not exactly sweetness and light for BA in the Gulf then? Doha currently dropped, Muscat to go, Abu Dhabi on Air Belgium.....how are loads to Bahrain and Kuwait I wonder.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
DOH is done for BA by partner QR...?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Some WT+ passengers are upgraded to Club if loads permit.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
DOH is done for BA by partner QR...?
Passengers are being rebooked on QR but BA flights have been cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.