FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Air Belgium operating BA route (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1928140-air-belgium-operating-ba-route.html)

wcel Aug 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Air Belgium operating BA route

I received notification that Air Belgium are to operate BA0154 from Cairo on 6th September for operational reasons

Looking online, this is a brand new airline so what is going on? I’m guessing it’s partly due to the Dreamliner engine issues, but to sub contract a brand new airline and risk their (BA) reputation seems a bit strange.

Although it’ll be a Air Belgium plane, do you think it’ll be usual BA staff cabin crew or how do these kind of things normally work?

nufnuf77 Aug 30, 2018 1:21 pm

I believe this is a wet lease so air Belgium crew and service applies

rapidex Aug 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by wcel (Post 30149326)
I received notification that Air Belgium are to operate BA0154 from Cairo on 6th September for operational reasons

Looking online, this is a brand new airline so what is going on? I’m guessing it’s partly due to the Dreamliner engine issues, but to sub contract a brand new airline and risk their (BA) reputation seems a bit strange.

Although it’ll be a Air Belgium plane, do you think it’ll be usual BA staff cabin crew or how do these kind of things normally work?

BA have too few aircraft and crew for the number of slots they have after buying the Monarch slots earlier in the year. They are wet leasing aircraft to operate for them. It will be all Air Belgium crew.

msm2000uk Aug 30, 2018 2:47 pm

I'd be happier on an Air Belgium A340 in J, than on a midhaul in J.

M

flatlander Aug 30, 2018 2:59 pm

It looks a lot like a Finnair aircraft [1], with the same sort of seats in J. Here's a report of a trip on the first rehearsal flight of one of the aircraft: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/a...earsal-flight/

Choose a throne seat on the left side or a window-side seat on the right side for best results when travelling on your own.

[1] It formerly operated for Finnair.

Soupdragon62 Aug 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by wcel (Post 30149326)

I'm not especially sure their reputation is at much risk.

surryson Aug 30, 2018 3:47 pm

It'll have nothing to do with Monarch. That is purely a LGW issue.
CAI is a 787 route at the moment. That's the issue.

I believe that Air Belgium have been operating for Air France of late. Reviews of their own flights to/from HKG seem pretty reasonable.

THEOBCMAN Aug 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Air Belgium must have quite low utilisation of their A340’s if they’re subbing out. Would like to catch one though. No need to go to Cairo unfortunately !

When I Travel The World Aug 30, 2018 5:39 pm

I would love to have the A340-300 on this route and would take Air Belgium anyday over the BA flight.

I have read plenty of reviews online about the seats and food provided by them, so hopefully its a great flight.

Regards

callum9999 Aug 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Air Belgium has a much better reputation that most of the other airlines being subcontracted by BA etc!

wcel Aug 30, 2018 9:47 pm

It’ll be interesting to see how the service is as I’ve noticed the service dropping lately on the Cairo route with BA

I’ll report back the good, bad or ugly, main points once I get a chance

Ldnn1 Aug 30, 2018 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999 (Post 30150388)
Air Belgium has a much better reputation that most of the other airlines being subcontracted by BA etc!

Do you mean because it has no reputation at all?

JFX1764 Aug 31, 2018 6:31 am

Originally Posted by wcel (Post 30150592)
It’ll be interesting to see how the service is as I’ve noticed the service dropping lately on the Cairo route with BA

I’ll report back the good, bad or ugly, main points once I get a chance

Generally, wet-leases will be BA food and service just carried out by non-BA crew - who may or may not deliver it in a different way.

callum9999 Aug 31, 2018 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 30150827)

Do you mean because it has no reputation at all?

Haha, perhaps reputation is the wrong word... Good reviews from those who have flown then.

oliver2002 Aug 31, 2018 6:49 am

Air Belgium is a startup that got some super cheap A343 aircraft that were formerly used by Finnair. They are trying to fly between China and Europe but currently barely manage to fly 2x weekly CRL-HKG. Since that doesn't need all the capacity they have with 4 A343, one A343 used to fly to Surinam from AMS and another currently does Paris-Lagos for AF. The latter (OO-ABE) is currently in plain white livery, so ideal for wetlease service.

Interesting is that they were assigned the IATA code 'KF' formerly used by Blue1 (Finnish subsidiary of SAS)