Air Belgium operating BA route

Old Aug 30, 18, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Air Belgium operating BA route

I received notification that Air Belgium are to operate BA0154 from Cairo on 6th September for operational reasons

Looking online, this is a brand new airline so what is going on? Iím guessing itís partly due to the Dreamliner engine issues, but to sub contract a brand new airline and risk their (BA) reputation seems a bit strange.

Although itíll be a Air Belgium plane, do you think itíll be usual BA staff cabin crew or how do these kind of things normally work?
Old Aug 30, 18, 1:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
I believe this is a wet lease so air Belgium crew and service applies
Old Aug 30, 18, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by wcel View Post
I received notification that Air Belgium are to operate BA0154 from Cairo on 6th September for operational reasons

Looking online, this is a brand new airline so what is going on? Iím guessing itís partly due to the Dreamliner engine issues, but to sub contract a brand new airline and risk their (BA) reputation seems a bit strange.

Although itíll be a Air Belgium plane, do you think itíll be usual BA staff cabin crew or how do these kind of things normally work?
BA have too few aircraft and crew for the number of slots they have after buying the Monarch slots earlier in the year. They are wet leasing aircraft to operate for them. It will be all Air Belgium crew.
Old Aug 30, 18, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'd be happier on an Air Belgium A340 in J, than on a midhaul in J.

M
Old Aug 30, 18, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It looks a lot like a Finnair aircraft [1], with the same sort of seats in J. Here's a report of a trip on the first rehearsal flight of one of the aircraft: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/a...earsal-flight/

Choose a throne seat on the left side or a window-side seat on the right side for best results when travelling on your own.

[1] It formerly operated for Finnair.
Old Aug 30, 18, 3:06 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects

I'm not especially sure their reputation is at much risk.
Old Aug 30, 18, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
It'll have nothing to do with Monarch. That is purely a LGW issue.
CAI is a 787 route at the moment. That's the issue.

I believe that Air Belgium have been operating for Air France of late. Reviews of their own flights to/from HKG seem pretty reasonable.
Old Aug 30, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Air Belgium must have quite low utilisation of their A340ís if theyíre subbing out. Would like to catch one though. No need to go to Cairo unfortunately !
Old Aug 30, 18, 5:39 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I would love to have the A340-300 on this route and would take Air Belgium anyday over the BA flight.

I have read plenty of reviews online about the seats and food provided by them, so hopefully its a great flight.

Regards
Sealink likes this.
Old Aug 30, 18, 7:47 pm

Air Belgium has a much better reputation that most of the other airlines being subcontracted by BA etc!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 18, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Itíll be interesting to see how the service is as Iíve noticed the service dropping lately on the Cairo route with BA

Iíll report back the good, bad or ugly, main points once I get a chance
Old Aug 30, 18, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999 View Post
Air Belgium has a much better reputation that most of the other airlines being subcontracted by BA etc!
Do you mean because it has no reputation at all?
shefgab, LostAntipod and TraumaDoc like this.
Old Aug 31, 18, 6:31 am

Itíll be interesting to see how the service is as Iíve noticed the service dropping lately on the Cairo route with BA

Iíll report back the good, bad or ugly, main points once I get a chance
Generally, wet-leases will be BA food and service just carried out by non-BA crew - who may or may not deliver it in a different way.
Old Aug 31, 18, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post

Do you mean because it has no reputation at all?
Haha, perhaps reputation is the wrong word... Good reviews from those who have flown then.
Old Aug 31, 18, 6:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Air Belgium is a startup that got some super cheap A343 aircraft that were formerly used by Finnair. They are trying to fly between China and Europe but currently barely manage to fly 2x weekly CRL-HKG. Since that doesn't need all the capacity they have with 4 A343, one A343 used to fly to Surinam from AMS and another currently does Paris-Lagos for AF. The latter (OO-ABE) is currently in plain white livery, so ideal for wetlease service.

Interesting is that they were assigned the IATA code 'KF' formerly used by Blue1 (Finnish subsidiary of SAS)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: