Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manners on the bus...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:57 am

My children are 23 and 20 and would never have sat on a tube or bus if an adult was standing, but those days are long gone.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
My children are 23 and 20 and would never have sat on a tube or bus if an adult was standing, but those days are long gone.
Yes, the only thing more irksome than seeing people unwilling to stand up for others with greater need on public transport is listening to pretentious proclamations about the 'old days'.
As it happens I have seen plenty of rude, pompous, overly-entitled people old enough to know better, and indeed lots of young people being brought-up to be respectful and polite.
Lefly likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by crazy8534
As it happens I have seen plenty of rude, pompous, overly-entitled people old enough to know better, and indeed lots of young people being brought-up to be respectful and polite.
Fully agree that manners have nothing to do with age or generation. I've seen rude and polite people from every possible age and cohort. Nothing to do with nationality or gender or ethnicity or income or even education (in a degree sense) either. ^
origin and hsmall like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In future I shall be very careful about “pretentious proclamations about ‘the old days’”
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
In future I shall be very careful about “pretentious proclamations about ‘the old days’”
Evidence on this forum shows people are far less tolerable of others nowadays compared to days of yore.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Evidence on this forum shows people are far less tolerable tolerant of others nowadays compared to days of yore.
Well, HIDDY, when we were both young there was no Internet and no keyboard warriors. So tolerance was almost self-imposed, as the only alternative was getting your clothes dirty in a brawl behind the bike sheds.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:10 pm

Delete all after "Manners" on the title...
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Who is to say that we should impose our value system over theirs? They have every right to not thank someone for holding a door open for them, if they didn't ask for it. It may be impolite, we might not like it, but tough!

Think of it from their point of view - maybe they have a hangover, maybe they are not feeling well, maybe they are having one of those days they just want to isolate themselves and wear dark glasses...
I think in a way this sums up the difference between politeness then and now. In the ‘good old days’, there seems to have been a consensus view on how things were done. If you conformed to the system, great; if not, then woe betide you. These days, we are more into ‘rights’ and the individual over the collective. I don’t know which is better but they lead to different outcomes!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the good old days opportunity to travel wasnt as available as it is now. You couldnt jump on a train and be across the uk / eu within hours. if you wanted to fly to australia it took days and you stopped on a few occasions. that is if you could afford to travel these days its only a few hundred pounds. Whilst this is great fr society and business and people in all countries. It can show cultural issues very clearly and people dont always feel the need to behave at their best behaviour when you know you wont see that person around you again.
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.