Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad [hard] landing on BA2768 [LGW-JER]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
I imagine the passengers of BA38 might disagree with you. Even an emergency landing is a good one when the alternative is dropping out the sky.
I don't disagree with them or they with me, obviously. Every event is its own circumstance. In the case starting this thread the event probably does not count as a hard landing. No one was injured or nor was the aircraft damaged, we assume, though the OP does not know that one way or the other at this point. If the OP did sustain an injury severe enough to require medical attention and if he had indeed reported it as such, at the time, then there would presumably be a reportable incident according to whatever process applies in that jurisdiction. An example from a US FAA document includes definitions such as this one:
Serious Injury
- any injury which: (1) requires hospitalization for more than 48-hours,
commencing within 7-days from the date an injury was received; (2) results in
a fracture of any bone (except simple fractures of fingers, toes, or nose); (3) causes severe hemorrhages, or nerve, muscle, or tendon damage; (4) involves any internal organ; or (5) involves second- or third-degree burns, or any
burns affecting more than 5-percent of the body surface.
Note that this sort of reporting is for safety and accident analysis purposes and has nothing to do with liabilities, lawsuites, and compensation.

Last edited by CALlegacy; Aug 27, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:18 pm

I suspect that "hard landing" is similar to "severe turbulence". The meaning of those phrases when used by many passengers often bears no relation to their technical definition....
Waterhorse and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by CALlegacy
No one was injured or nor was the aircraft damaged, we assume, though the OP does not know that one way or the other at this point.
Just to clear this up for the benefit of this thread. The aircraft appears to have been G-DBCE on the BA2768 on Sunday. The return 2769 operated without any delay and since then the aircraft has been back to JER twice and also been to EDI, TRN and AGP. Think it is safe to say she is in full working order.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Exactly so. When I think of landings at Funchal, the old Kai Tak, and Gibraltar, its quite laughable. Once landing at FCO. Tthe wind changed at the last minute and we slammed onto the runway, bounced back into the air and bang again. I was astonished that the aircraft wasnt damaged.

Our Captain said exactly that - a landing that you walk away from is a good landing. What I do find idiotic are these idiot applauding each and every landing as thought the Flightdeck could hear.
I had my first abort and go round experience (weather conditions and wind shear) earlier this year, and admit I joined in the applause when the captain was successful in landing at our scheduled airport on the second attempt. But then our diversion airport was supposedly Las Vegas, and since it's not my kind of place, I'll cheer any avoidance of unplanned trips to Las Vegas.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by CALlegacy
The glib comment that a landing you can walk away from is a good landing is absurd.
I think that most of us here are capable of recognising the difference between a statement of good aviation practice and an old aviation joke.

At any rate, I see that (in contrast to the OP's experience), there has been a very recent notable example of a true hard landing. There are no reports of injuries, although it wouldn't be surprising if there were some minor ones as the aircraft was evacuated via slides. Some photos follow the text of the report: Accident: Capital Beijing A320 at Macau on Aug 28th 2018, dropped nose wheels on hard touchdown
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Just back from Jersey for the weekend
the Blue Islands flight certainly hit JER runway with a bang on Friday Evening.
They did a first for me they removed all drinks and duty free as the flight wss too leaded for LCY! So no inflight service!

Coming back on BA in the first row of CE was great fun and a challenge to eat my chicken salad and 2 champagnes in 30 mins.

Think the weather was calmer on Monday evening. There were a lot of cross winds over the weekend to explain rough landings
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
I used to live in Jersey.

On a good day the landing is a bad experience (and i am not a nervous flyer). But give it a bit of weather and yes it can be hair raising.

You get used to it.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that most of us here are capable of recognising the difference between a statement of good aviation practice and an old aviation joke.

At any rate, I see that (in contrast to the OP's experience), there has been a very recent notable example of a true hard landing. There are no reports of injuries, although it wouldn't be surprising if there were some minor ones as the aircraft was evacuated via slides. Some photos follow the text of the report: Accident: Capital Beijing A320 at Macau on Aug 28th 2018, dropped nose wheels on hard touchdown
Also MNL Aug 17th Xiamen plane slid off and blocked main runway for 2days Fri+Sat of operations. According to NAIA/MIAA, a total of 631 flights were canceled from August 17th to 20th
https://www.manilatimes.net/naia-mai...he-way/431385/

Slid off onto grass, colapsed planes undercarriagel, could not be towed out of too wet/soft ground. Closed NAIA main runway needed for widebody planes (secondary runway only ok for narrow body planes) 2days of cancelled flights ensued, Caused chaos. (Some inbound longhaul large planes diverted to Clarke/CRK)

NAIA borrowed crane from nearby HOTEL, one hotel had crane used for in air dining experience! https://www.wheninmanila.com/dinner-...mes-to-manila/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.