Bad [hard] landing on BA2768 [LGW-JER]

Old Aug 27, 18, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Bad [hard] landing on BA2768 [LGW-JER]

Morning all,

Was on BA2768 from LGW to JER yesterday. No cause to complain otherwise, but the landing at JER was very hard, so much so that a number of the passengers were complaining to each other afterwards about it. Personally, the landing did twitch my back, causing slight back pain for an hour or so. Whilst not considerable pain, and nothing to warrant a doctor visit, it was enough to be annoying.

Just two general questions in such instances:

1) Do people claim compensation in such circumstances (e.g avios/monetary compensation), or pin it down to just bad luck?

2) Do the flight crew get an internal chastising for the hard landing? I did notice on exiting the aircraft, the first officer saying the goodbyes by the cockpit had only two stripes, rather than three, on his shoulders, which makes me think he is a first officer in-training. To be fair, he was looking a little sheepish at that point, as if to realise the landing was hard.
Old Aug 27, 18, 2:51 am

Any landing you walk away from is a good landing. We all have to start somewhere, in reference to your two striper. Maybe a gust of wind just before touchdown causing the aircraft to drop and cause a heavy landing. I would imagine in a blame/claim culture I’m sure you could claim. Personally the fact you needed to post on here about it kinda saddens me.
Old Aug 27, 18, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Britflyer18 View Post
Any landing you walk away from is a good landing. We all have to start somewhere, in reference to your two striper. Maybe a gust of wind just before touchdown causing the aircraft to drop and cause a heavy landing. I would imagine in a blame/claim culture I’m sure you could claim. Personally the fact you needed to post on here about it kinda saddens me.
My thoughts exactly. I haven’t ever bothered with compensation for anything, but was just wondering what people’s past experiences were in general with respect to hard landings.
Old Aug 27, 18, 2:55 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC silver
The simple answer is no, unless the landing was actually unsafe, this is simply part and parcel of aviation. JER can be quite a challenging approach which is prone to wind shear on finals, and the runway is short.

Yesterday the weather wasn’t great here, with a gusty crosswind. I have experienced many a relatively hard landing here, followed by maximum reverse thrust, not to mention the occasional ‘touch and go’. I suspect it had very little to do with inexperience - two stripes means he is junior, but BA crew are very well trained (plus how do you know the Captain didn’t take control at the decision height?), and rather more to do with the fact that it was a difficult approach. Generally here we are just pleased not to be going back to Gatwick...
Old Aug 27, 18, 2:57 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Britflyer18 View Post
I would imagine in a blame/claim culture I’m sure you could claim. Personally the fact you needed to post on here about it kinda saddens me.
This!

The OP's question reminds me of a recent post over on the CX forum, where part of my response would apply here too (you can replace the words as done below, and all fits..)

This compensation culture has seriously gone out of control.. What’s next, ‘how much compensation can I get from CX BA because I feel there is too much green black in the cabin’??
Old Aug 27, 18, 3:39 am

Dear oh dear. The minute I read 'hard landing' and 'back pain' I just knew that 'can I claim compensation' would follow. Complete with a bit of nonsense about the FO.

I think most people know that the occasional hard landing is part of travel. If things like this are a problem it's best to stay at home I would say.

I see the return flight left 12 mins early, so no sign the aircraft was a write off.
Old Aug 27, 18, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Depending on which runway was in use yesterday, different factors are in play. The 08 approach over the cliff clearly offers the chance of turbulence. Less so on 26, although still potentially vulnerable to turbulence crossing St Peter's Valley depending on wind direction. But the 26 approach also offers some visual challenges, due to its undulations.

I've experience quite a few 'landing long' arrivals on 26, leading to hard braking and reverse thrust.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 27, 18, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Tough crowd today! Speaking for myself, I was interested to read of such a hard landing, and possible reasons given by jmd and T8191. OP, glad your back pain didn't last too long.

T8191 - that does look like a short runway!
lukew likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1,706m / 5,597ft. Certainly not excessively long, but within limits [obviously] for A319 and smaller 737.

The lack of over-run on 26 is perhaps the exciting bit!

* The eagle eyed will note that 27 became 26 as magnetic variation changed.
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:02 am

***Moderator Notice***

A few posts are borderline of what is acceptable within the rules and spirit of FT. By all means disagree, but do it with courtesy and avoid personal attacks.

Thank you, Petrus
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
Dear oh dear. The minute I read 'hard landing' and 'back pain' I just knew that 'can I claim compensation' would follow. Complete with a bit of nonsense about the FO.

I think most people know that the occasional hard landing is part of travel. If things like this are a problem it's best to stay at home I would say.

I see the return flight left 12 mins early, so no sign the aircraft was a write off.
Spot on the money. BA Airbus will tell you if you have a “hard landing” and if you do then engineering input is required. A passenger’s perception of a hard landing is anything that doesn’t kiss the tarmac, to a pilot a firm landing might well be what they wanted. I have flown in Jersey many times and it is a challenging shortish runway, with some serious shear issues on 09; the last thing I ever aimed for was a sweet touchdown. Putting it down in the right place, at the right speed, within the aircraft parameters is a far more important goal.
LondonElite, jmd, SKT-DK and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please use 08 next time ... you know it makes sense!
highpeaklad likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Sometimes they need to be put down firmly in crosswind/gusty conditions or short runway etc. It doesn't necessarily mean anything was done wrong because the landing felt a bit on the hard side. In fact a gentle landing can be more dangerous than a firm one in some situations.

If none of the oxygen masks dropped, it probably wasn't very hard Now if you saw a rubber jungle, it might well have been quite hard...

If the subsequent flight departed on time, then it's likely that it wasn't very hard because a proper heavy landing would have needed an engineer to check it (it's all recorded...).

Quite a few people seem to tense up their back when a firm landing had happened (or in rough sea if they are on a boat) and it can feel like the back has been jarred but not necessarily so. A bit of a sore muscle from tensing up is quite often the cause...
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 27, 18 at 4:32 am
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse View Post

Spot on the money. BA Airbus will tell you if you have a “hard landing” and if you do then engineering input is required. A passenger’s perception of a hard landing is anything that doesn’t kiss the tarmac, to a pilot a firm landing might well be what they wanted. I have flown in Jersey many times and it is a challenging shortish runway, with some serious shear issues on 09; the last thing I ever aimed for was a sweet touchdown. Putting it down in the right place, at the right speed, within the aircraft parameters is a far more important goal.
As a matter of curiosity what would be the first thing to 'give? Burst tyres or some damage to the wheel mechanics?
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
As a matter of curiosity what would be the first thing to 'give? Burst tyres or some damage to the wheel mechanics?
A hard landing at FNC with an Air Europe B757 sent the nose leg assembly up through the floor of the passenger cabin. The aircraft was a right off..
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: