Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A CHILD!!!! In First! Oh, its mine. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Bring the raisins yourself. Don't expect BA to randomly have boxes of raisins. Don't go for a walkabout in Y/J, you're in the F cabin, if you wanna go for a walkabout do it in your own cabin. Lastly, do whatever you have to to get this kid to sleep for the majority of the flight.

Can't wait for the thread during your flight "omg obnoxious kid won't stop crying and parent's are of no help, so much for my first FIRST experience.."
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by alex67500
Your name should be DeathSlamDunk :-)
. Also, remember dummies can do a lot for kids who can't equalise/regulate the pressure in their ears!
Gummies??? (dummies will be helpless in this situation)
filegumbo likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
A sip of cognac and she’ll sleep like a charm! just don’t worry about it she’ll be fine though as mentioned by Tobias-UK no buddy dining on the 789.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
The Mini-Levels are now 13 and 10, and not so mini any more.
But when they were mini, I used to bring lollipops to help equalize their ears on descent.
Club soda or ginger ale in a sippy cup can also help. The bubbles, and resulting burps can often help clear the ears.

Last edited by Phil Level; Aug 23, 2018 at 8:35 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
Also, remember dummies can do a lot for kids who can't equalise/regulate the pressure in their ears!
That is a good point, I suspect that a lot of crying starts when a child's ears hurt. They find that it works and may continue.
I imagine that OP will have too much to carry but a nice quiet walk down the corridors to T5B/C would be less hazardous than the play area!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
My expectations are that a parent tries in a reasonable way to keep their child under control. I know they don't always succeed, but if they are making a good effort, then that's all I can ask for as a fellow passenger.

Unlike the parents that I often see in F who drink themselves stupid and go fast asleep with their headphones on and ignore their children for the rest of the flight, and when the cabin crew members are compelled to wake them to ask them to keep their children under control after causing absolute havoc in the cabin, they get nasty on the crew, saying "They're kids, what do you expect!" and go straight back to sleep. (Those parents kept me awake for the whole of my trip XXX-SYD-LHR-XXX, and and vice versa, and it happened on two trips in a row. I now pay extra to get off and stay in a hotel at SIN whenever I fly BA on that route.

It sounds like you won't be those inconsiderate parents, so I don't think you'd have problems. Most people are quite understanding if they see that parents are trying, even if they are not successful.
100% agree with this. To the OP - please don't let concern for your child's behaviour ruin your flight, by being aware enough of other passengers that you bothered to post this thread you're already showing you'll likely be very considerate and most passengers will be very lenient as a result. It's parents who don't seem to care that their children are misbehaving that are generally the problem.

Interesting case in point and also a great study in cultural attitudes - I'm currently on JL44 a couple of hours out of HND, before departure the lady sat on the other side of the cabin came over to apologise in advance (!) for any disturbance as she was travelling with her 5 year old daughter. She has, of course, been incredibly well behaved and I haven't heard her all flight, but even if she had been running around F for most of the flight I would have been fine with it given the parent's attitude.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:41 pm

Just returned from TPAC (SYD-YVR) with our 11 month old. Agree with most of the above (although we didn't drug our kid). A few things to add:
Baby carriers are great for planes when your baby won't sleep any other way. At one point there were me and two other dads outside the lavatory putting our kids to sleep in carriers. I'm sure the people with seats near the lav don't love it, but it beats the alternative.
We brought a shoebox with about 10 different toys. We brought out one at a time, and when he got tired of one we brought out the next. That way he didn't get tired of all his toys early on.
Same thing with baby's favorite foods: We had 2 full shopping bags full of food (OK, some was for us) and when he started to get cranky we gave him a different food he likes.
filegumbo and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
I don’t have kids but when I took my Niece on a recent flight who is of a similar age to your child we headed for the walkway between T5 A and B. Nobody else down there except the odd member of staff so she could run around crazy and burn all her energy making as much noise as she liked. Played with her toy and kicked a ball down the walkway. By the time we were on the flight she was counting sheep for the majority of it as she was exhausted, but so was I!
LTN Phobia and MADPhil like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
My little Girl is now 2 and a half and she's got 3 long hauls under her belt now with another in November.

My advice would be, Phone up in advance and request a kids meal, You are not guaranteed a meal for infants if you do not call up in advance.

the Soft play area in T5 is pretty good to tire them out before a flight.

We found that taking a new toy to surprise her worked a treat and kept her occupied for hours but don't give in and give the little 1 it before the flight wait until take off.

As previously mentioned a loaded tablet with all the terrible shows kids love.

and take them a little walk around the cabins I'd rather some1 does a couple laps of the cabin than sitting let the kid scream to high heavens.

But remember they are kids they cry it happens if you are making the effort to comfort them you are doing your part.

Luckily out of all our flights our little 1 has only cried for a max 5 minutes before settling.

Good luck and enjoy the flight.
Phil Level likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
First of all, good for you for planning ahead for your trip with a small child. So many people don't, and I'm always impressed by those who have put thought into the matter before they board.

Second, as a parent & grandparent, I would offer two small suggestions which you are free to ignore. One - pack snacks that your child likes. Do not count on an airline or restaurant having what your child wants. While mine was already incredibly well travelled at that age, we ALWAYS carried the favorite snacks/foods with us. It made my life SO much easier.

And number two on this list - prepare to flex the rules a little on a trip. Trips are special. Only have one hour of video time at home? Maybe plan to have two on the trip. This is something outside the everyday norm. Make it fun! Make it special! I have found that positive reinforcement goes a long way with little kids. (That, plus distraction.)

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful trip and remember that this, too, shall pass...only to be replaced by something else. ;-)
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
We are currently on hols with our 5 and 8 year old children. The first long-haul we have tried with them (although numerous mid-haul trips). This time (courtesy of Avios), we came out J and are returning Monday in F. My wife buys loads of little games, drawing books, sticker books, Top Trumps etc (replace with age-appropriate items for your little one), wraps them up (adds to the excitement and wastes more time) and we then hand one out when they start looking bored/become annoying.

I’m a natural optimist and am hoping they will sleep on the 23.30 return flight...
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by swimmax
2. I know it sounds strange and some people will hate this but our doctor said it was okay, giving them Dymatap or an anti-histamine (during water and snack time) before takeoff makes them drowsy and they sleep better. I would consult with your doctor and test it days in advance of the trip but both of our kids...out like a light on night flights. Some kids actually can get hyper on that.
I was actually going to suggest something similar. When we did a couple of Medium-Haul night flights (5 hours) with our 2.5 yo and 18 months old, we gave them both a bit of peritone (anti-histamine) which made them drowsy and eventually got them to sleep.
I would say the key thing (with all things children related) is that they sense the mood of the parents and react accordingly. If you feel relaxed prior and during the flight, they will respond positively to that. If stressed and anxious, they will also respond accordingly

Hope this helps and that all goes well
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LHR FLYER
I don’t have kids but when I took my Niece on a recent flight who is of a similar age to your child we headed for the walkway between T5 A and B. Nobody else down there except the odd member of staff so she could run around crazy and burn all her energy making as much noise as she liked. Played with her toy and kicked a ball down the walkway. By the time we were on the flight she was counting sheep for the majority of it as she was exhausted, but so was I!
Too late for my kids, but that's a BRILLIANT idea! Never considered using the walkway as a small-child-tiring-out location (to be fair it wasn't officially open the way it is now when they were young)
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
I don’t have children and I have to say I do dread it if there is a child behind me! It is not so much the noise factor as I am deaf and can easily switch off my hearing aids. As I’m deaf, I am really sensitive to vibration and any child sat behind me likes to play with the fold away tray so I constantly feel my seat being thumped and they are kicking the seat back. I manage to sit in Y without bumping seat in front. I’ve been in J with a kid behind me constantly thumping the tray.

I don’t have a problem with parents doing their best (like the OP) to keep their baby calm during the flight. Like others said it’s those who think it’s ok for their kids to run about whilst parents are playing on their phones that are the problem!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald
Thanks all, really appreciate it.

One thing I have learnt, I need to keep flexible!
Colnic2011 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.