A CHILD!!!! In First! Oh, its mine. HELP!

Old Aug 23, 18, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald
A CHILD!!!! In First! Oh, its mine. HELP!

In September I am flying to KUL in First with my wife and 15mth daughter, and to be honest I am dreading it! I have carried out a quick search, but I couldn’t find the specific information I was after, and I am after opinions and advice.

Having been on the other side and vented my frustration at parents that allow their children to run around screaming and causing havoc, I am determined to make sure I do not fall fowl of the same. I am fully prepared not to sleep for the entire flight, if she wont sleep, just to keep her occupied and entertained. We have been getting her to wear headphones to watch her daily, single episode allowance, of teletubbies, so she isn’t put off by watching programs with them on. Initial results are promising, and I hope this will provide some short relief if we are at defcon 5 and I cant do anymore laps of Y and J!

So, our flight doesn’t leave LHR until 8PM, so we are arriving at 6pm, which goes against my natural planning as I usually want to enjoy the Concorde lounge and have a few drinks. We are going to try the lounge out, but if it gets too crazy then we can just go for a walk around the terminal. We will also take the transit terminal to B or C gates should it been needed, some quiet might get her to go to sleep.

On board we are in the usual centre seats for a bassinet, I was hoping that the 2K might be free, so I could see if she would rest there, but it looks taken to me on MMB. What are the bassinets like? Are they ok for a 15mth? She’s quite tall (long) for her age, and luckily enough she’s not walking yet, just crawling about.

Will we be expected to bring our own food for her, or will BA supply something? She eats anything and just has cow’s milk twice a day. Give her a packet of raisins and you’ll be her best friend for an hour or too.

So, I guess my questions is, what are your expectations of a parent with a child in F? Have I covered it off? I suppose there will always be stuff you can’t be prepared for?

Any help.advice greatly appreciated
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
The big issue here is Teletubbies, will damage her for life. I would say sorting that out would be first priority!!! 😋
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by EK004 Regular View Post
In September I am flying to KUL in First with my wife and 15mth daughter, and to be honest I am dreading it! I have carried out a quick search, but I couldn’t find the specific information I was after, and I am after opinions and advice.

Having been on the other side and vented my frustration at parents that allow their children to run around screaming and causing havoc, I am determined to make sure I do not fall fowl of the same. I am fully prepared not to sleep for the entire flight, if she wont sleep, just to keep her occupied and entertained. We have been getting her to wear headphones to watch her daily, single episode allowance, of teletubbies, so she isn’t put off by watching programs with them on. Initial results are promising, and I hope this will provide some short relief if we are at defcon 5 and I cant do anymore laps of Y and J!

So, our flight doesn’t leave LHR until 8PM, so we are arriving at 6pm, which goes against my natural planning as I usually want to enjoy the Concorde lounge and have a few drinks. We are going to try the lounge out, but if it gets too crazy then we can just go for a walk around the terminal. We will also take the transit terminal to B or C gates should it been needed, some quiet might get her to go to sleep.

On board we are in the usual centre seats for a bassinet, I was hoping that the 2K might be free, so I could see if she would rest there, but it looks taken to me on MMB. What are the bassinets like? Are they ok for a 15mth? She’s quite tall (long) for her age, and luckily enough she’s not walking yet, just crawling about.

Will we be expected to bring our own food for her, or will BA supply something? She eats anything and just has cow’s milk twice a day. Give her a packet of raisins and you’ll be her best friend for an hour or too.

So, I guess my questions is, what are your expectations of a parent with a child in F? Have I covered it off? I suppose there will always be stuff you can’t be prepared for?

Any help.advice greatly appreciated
Get her to like pasta, then after take off fill her up. That should give you a few hours peace.
filegumbo and EK004 Regular like this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
Get her to like pasta, then after take off fill her up. That should give you a few hours peace.
Seriously, She'll eat anything. Including curry, (I am not suggesting that)
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: Mucci Silver, BA GFL / GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
I suspect the bassinet won't me a whole lot of help if she is already 15 months and "long". In my experience they work till about 12 months, after which even the seat becomes a little small.
You should plan to bring your own food if she doesn't have a seat of her own - and just be prepared for however she decides to behave on the day. We ensured that we (adults) took it in turns to manage the little one which ensured we both got some sleep - and then the second one arrived and we had 2 under 2, which meant we were both on duty for all flights!
wrp96 and EK004 Regular like this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
So, I guess my questions is, what are your expectations of a parent with a child in F?
My expectations are that a parent tries in a reasonable way to keep their child under control. I know they don't always succeed, but if they are making a good effort, then that's all I can ask for as a fellow passenger.

Unlike the parents that I often see in F who drink themselves stupid and go fast asleep with their headphones on and ignore their children for the rest of the flight, and when the cabin crew members are compelled to wake them to ask them to keep their children under control after causing absolute havoc in the cabin, they get nasty on the crew, saying "They're kids, what do you expect!" and go straight back to sleep. (Those parents kept me awake for the whole of my trip XXX-SYD-LHR-XXX, and and vice versa, and it happened on two trips in a row. I now pay extra to get off and stay in a hotel at SIN whenever I fly BA on that route.

It sounds like you won't be those inconsiderate parents, so I don't think you'd have problems. Most people are quite understanding if they see that parents are trying, even if they are not successful.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:18 am

Seriously, She'll eat anything. Including curry, (I am not suggesting that)
Young rapidex was happy with a curry at that age. Watching him after a big mouthful of vindaloo was cruelly amusing. Spaghetti with ketchup always worked well for me.
wrp96, EK004 Regular and smokie36 like this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Amb
There is a play area in T5, we normally use that to drain their energy before a flight, and as you have done stick to night flights, so that they would normally be asleep at that time anyway. I tend to believe that if your relaxed they will be also, and vice versa. So keep calm and all should go well.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avis PC, (Hilton, Accor, SPG, Radisson) Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
Young rapidex was happy with a curry at that age. Watching him after a big mouthful of vindaloo was cruelly amusing. Spaghetti with ketchup always worked well for me.
That looks like those lemon challenge videos that have been popping up on FB :-D
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:37 am

Programs: Due to current work travel patterns just A-List with WN - and that's enough!
I don't have any advice, EK004, but just wanted to let you know your thread title made me literally LOL. Good luck and thanks for the laugh!
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Make her watch the new safety video - that'll send her to sleep

Originally Posted by alex67500 View Post
That looks like those lemon challenge videos that have been popping up on FB :-D
He was told not to eat the vindaloo, but wouldn't listen and grabbed a big spoonful. He spent the next 2 minutes running round the room trying to wipe his mouth with mrs rapidex chasing him to sort him out. His consumption of vindaloo was rather restrained after that.
wrp96 and alex67500 like this.

Programs: BA Rust
Forget teletubbies, Hey Duggee will keep her (and you) entertained all flight - it's available for download on iPlayer
ppp909 and DeathSlam like this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:50 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
The class of travel should make no difference- it is no more acceptable for parents to let a child run havoc at the back than at the front, nor is it acceptable for other pax to complain more about children at the front than at the back.

In terms of bassinet - forget it. Unless very small, most kids don’t fit in the cot after 4-6 months and in the Z seat after 10-12 months. Best to let her sleep at one end of your seat or next to you, or let her sleep in your seat while the 2 adults dine together.
I’d also advocate to feed her what she wants when she wants. All of this worked wonders for me
awayIgo, orbitmic, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, VA Platinum
It's not about being in F, J, W, P or whatever it's about attitude. I have no problem with people taking little folk on flights. I reckon nobody does it lightly because it *really* doesn't look like any kind of fun at all and I have, in the past, ended up holding very little ones when parent is single crewed and quite clearly needs a wee. If parents are trying then that's cool... if you can't deal with children being near you then you should either not take public transport or invest in some headphones. As everybody has said the bit that annoys is the entitled lot. You're not that. Do your best, take everything you might possibly need with you (even if BA were planning on providing something we've all been in amongst wrong loadings and IROpps) try to keep smiling and good luck.

Search this Thread