Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Avis car booked through BA Holidays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading Avis car booked through BA Holidays?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup

Neither do I. What I meant is that you cannot just pick up the car and drive. You have to queue up so that the additional driver can be added. Unless there’s another way of doing it that I’m not aware of?
the places where I have rented, I would have to queue anyway (although I am usually the first in the queue). Much better than the non-preferred queue...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)

Neither do I. What I meant is that you cannot just pick up the car and drive. You have to queue up so that the additional driver can be added. Unless there’s another way of doing it that I’m not aware of?
The first time I used BA/Avis and asked about adding the free additional driver, they just shrugged and said "sure, it doesn't matter who it is". I've since been told this again, BA/Avis allows a second driver, and it only becomes an issue if there is an issue ! Such as an accident etc., so long as the other driver has a licence. In all my cases it has been my wife, so now that I use preferred, we just take our car and go. And we've both driven it. I should point out this has been in the USA in each and every case,
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
The first time I used BA/Avis and asked about adding the free additional driver, they just shrugged and said "sure, it doesn't matter who it is". I've since been told this again, BA/Avis allows a second driver, and it only becomes an issue if there is an issue ! Such as an accident etc., so long as the other driver has a licence. In all my cases it has been my wife, so now that I use preferred, we just take our car and go. And we've both driven it. I should point out this has been in the USA in each and every case,
This surprises me. I’ve never been told that and the additional driver has always been added to the rental agreement explicitly, even in the US.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:04 pm

North America - they're much more relaxed about second driver.
Don't even think of letting a second driver get behind the wheel in Europe without their name being added to the rental agreement - they're not insured if you don't.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Don't even think of letting a second driver get behind the wheel in Europe without their name being added to the rental agreement - they're not insured if you don't.
They might be relaxed, but I doubt that Amex would be as relaxed when it comes to pay off the excess insurance should anything happened when someone else is driving.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Rented a car in France last week. Mrs Fruitcage’s driving licence number was noted on the rental agreement but not her name.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:20 am

They might be relaxed, but I doubt that Amex would be as relaxed when it comes to pay off the excess insurance should anything happened when someone else is driving.
No excess in North America I believe, CDW as standard when renting with BA/Avis.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
No excess in North America I believe, CDW as standard when renting with BA/Avis.
Per my upcoming BA / Avis booking from MIA:

"CDW and TP are always subject to an excess which will be pre-authorised, but not debited, from the driver's credit card up on collection of the vehicle. In the event of any damage to the vehicle, the full value of the excess is charged to the credit card. Where the repair costs are less than the excess, the difference will be refunded. Excess amounts vary by rental location, please contact us for details."

I've separately paid for excess cover through another company for about £2.50 per day to cover this excess.
ringingup likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My recent Avis rental at PHX ... different locations may be at play.
Attached Images  

Last edited by T8191; Aug 14, 2018 at 5:25 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Yup, I'm pretty sure that is standard throughout the US and Canada.

I've been trying to find that detail on my own previous, and forthcoming, rentals but can't see the detail. Where did you get this receipt from if you don't mind me asking?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
BA Holidays tell me they can't find the "Signature Series" in their inventory even though the Avis website is showing availability in all car classes for my dates. Guess I'm resigned to asking on pick-up, which means I'll have to join the likely very long lines .... Any other ideas?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

If that's the same for me, I've paid out £25 for no benefit.

If it had been more clear on the BA site when I booked, I would never have purchased the excess cover.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, I'm pretty sure that is standard throughout the US and Canada.

I've been trying to find that detail on my own previous, and forthcoming, rentals but can't see the detail. Where did you get this receipt from if you don't mind me asking?
Direct from Avis. i was a bit puzzled when I received it, as I was expecting the usual BA Voucher. Did I forget to book Avis/BA and go direct? Seems unlikely!

Previous PHX trip in 17 I got the usual BA Voucher. (Sorry, no copy)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oceanscape
BA Holidays tell me they can't find the "Signature Series" in their inventory even though the Avis website is showing availability in all car classes for my dates. Guess I'm resigned to asking on pick-up, which means I'll have to join the likely very long lines .... Any other ideas?
As a statement of the obvious ... try calling Avis? Even the UK team should be able to connect to your booking reference.

PS: Never needed to call Avis, so that's obviously speculation!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
As a statement of the obvious ... try calling Avis? Even the UK team should be able to connect to your booking reference.

PS: Never needed to call Avis, so that's obviously speculation!
They were unhelpful and told me to call BA Holidays...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.