Wiki Posts
Search

Avios earning on Aer Lingus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold
Avios earning on Aer Lingus

Hi, my sister is tomorrow flying on Aer Lingus from Gatwick to Washington, and is wondering where to credit the flight. She's booked in Business. According to her itinerary, the short flight booking class is J, and the long haul in P. I've checked the Wiki and whilst J earns Avios, P won't - which seems unlikely to me, being a Business fare. Does anyone have any experience of P class Aer Lingus flights earning Avios? We know there will be no Tier Points. So is it worth taking a punt on BAEC, or should she join Aer Club and earn the Avios that way, with the intention of combining at a later date?
Many thanks
signol
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Aer Lingus potentially offer a large number of fare buckets and it is the case that some of them don't qualify for BAEC Avios. In some cases this is deliberate due to the low fares, in other cases I suspect it's because between BA and EI data isn't being kept up to date. Personally, rather than take the risk, it is probably better to open an Aer Lingus Avios account and then transfer them over later on.
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Avios earning on EI is complicated. If it is booked on an EI ticket (ticket number starts 053) its 3x the value of the ticket, there's no additional multiplayer for business class. If the ticket is booked via another source and not ticketed on EI stock then the more traditional fare class multiplayer x distance rules apply.

Ive never quite figured out what figure is used to calculate avois earnings, in my experience its been neither the total paid or the underlying fare.

(not much) More info here:
https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/us...b-0-in-the-air
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold
Thanks all. She booked online on aerlingus.com, on EI stock (053 ticket). To play it safe she's opened an Aer Club account anyway. We'll see what she gets!

signol
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by signol
Thanks all. She booked online on aerlingus.com, on EI stock (053 ticket). To play it safe she's opened an Aer Club account anyway. We'll see what she gets!

signol
Just hope you're not in a hurry for the points:

Missing Miles - what else to do?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:23 am

I need to fly to NYC from Manchester. Business Class flights on the Aer Lingus website (I assume therefore EI stock) are about half the price of the same flights bought on BA website (sold as BA stock). I need the TPs but can't bring myself to fork out an additional £1500/£2,000 for them. Any thoughts (for instance will the AL call centre sell me the BA stock?)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jonolhr
I need to fly to NYC from Manchester. Business Class flights on the Aer Lingus website (I assume therefore EI stock) are about half the price of the same flights bought on BA website (sold as BA stock). I need the TPs but can't bring myself to fork out an additional £1500/£2,000 for them. Any thoughts (for instance will the AL call centre sell me the BA stock?)
Aer Lingus can't sell you BA stock. £2,000 would get you a lot of TPs on other flights. That's fairly general advice, and maybe good enough for your question, but if you want specific advice you will need to put down the dates and wriggle room for adventure.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
you would need to book it on the BA codeshare to earn TPs - it could be on a BA or EI ticket as long as the flights are BA marketed. If you search on ba.com for MAN-NYC it will offer the MAN-DUB-JFK routing under BA codeshares. Bear in mind the price for booking the EI flights with EI may be lower than booking them under the BA codeshare.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Aer Lingus can't sell you BA stock. £2,000 would get you a lot of TPs on other flights. That's fairly general advice, and maybe good enough for your question, but if you want specific advice you will need to put down the dates and wriggle room for adventure.

Hi. I need to fly out on 2nd or 3rd October 2018 and back on 6th or 7th.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
you would need to book it on the BA codeshare to earn TPs - it could be on a BA or EI ticket as long as the flights are BA marketed. If you search on ba.com for MAN-NYC it will offer the MAN-DUB-JFK routing under BA codeshares. Bear in mind the price for booking the EI flights with EI may be lower than booking them under the BA codeshare.
Hi

That's the point, the same codeshare flight booked through BA is about £1,500 more than booked through EI

I think I may forego the TPs and my silver membership...
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:06 am

Hi. I need to fly out on 2nd or 3rd October 2018 and back on 6th or 7th.
I guess you are looking at £1744 for Aer Lingus, versus £3144 for BA?

The Aer Lingus price is very good, I have to say, the only cheaper one being Icelandair (which is actually more of a Premium Economy experience rather than business). However if you started your trip from Dublin, then the BA fare, with full TPs, falls to £1737! You would actually be in AA metal. OK, you have to pay for positioning flights, perhaps even an overnight, but it would save you a lot of money. There are other options, for slightly higher prices and much better equipment, starting from DUB and going via LHR or LGW.

Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
If on a BA ticketed EI transatlantic flight, do you get the tier bonus on top of the base avios?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease
If on a BA ticketed EI transatlantic flight, do you get the tier bonus on top of the base avios?

Many thanks!
If it's BA marketed, yes. So codeshared EInnn Sold As BAnnnn. If BA sold it under prime EI then you don't get a tier bonus.
noFODplease likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.