Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

N00b question re: using First Class checkin with family

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.

On Monday we're off to Rome with multiple relatives, 4 people on one PNR, 2 on another, TCPed. I assume that our party can check in at the First Wing but is there any point if we're just going to be joining them in the Plaza Premium lounge? (Well I might nip back for a swift glass of champers but...). what would be your preferred course of action in this scenario?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Pick your favourite child over 18, and tell the others that you'll see them on the plane! ??
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Deckard
On Monday we're off to Rome with multiple relatives, 4 people on one PNR, 2 on another, TCPed. I assume that our party can check in at the First Wing but is there any point if we're just going to be joining them in the Plaza Premium lounge? (Well I might nip back for a swift glass of champers but...). what would be your preferred course of action in this scenario?
As the previous poster has said, use lounge facilities. But also you should be able to board at the highest group priority which may be of assistance to you.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

They're all adults . So I'd take my partner in BUT as the rest of the party are her mum and nan and brother and SiL I suspect she'd rather stay with them . I'm going to guess that the TCPed couple won't get Group 1 on their boarding passes but no odds as we've taken over the exit row in any case so there won't be bin space competition. It was more whether just to use Business Class check in/Bag drop off as it's closer to security than the Wing.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
The gate agents do check the PNRs and stop you if you're trying to bring all the party on different PNRs through at a higher group level than on the BPs (TCP-ed or not). If you have a sub-group on another PNR, they might very well be sent back again. I've been in this situation where my family has been on different PNRs, but luckily we had a Gold + on each PNR so no issue. I have also seen groups split up.

If you're all planning to use Plaza Premium, I would look for the first empty checkin desk of whatever class and then head together through the nearest security check. It's likely to be the quickest route for all of you to get to the lounge. First Checkin is quite a long way away if you're not going to be able to use TFW, as I am sure you know
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Poster

It's funny - I've never had a car drop me anywhere other than the furthest door in all the time I've been flying BA so I don't actually know where other check ins open out. I'm sure we'll be in plenty of time so we'll just play it by ear
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Can I just ask: from the above it seems that anyone with a lower status in the same PNR should get the same group number on the boarding pass as the highest BAEC member?

I have NEVER seen this. My partner is Silver and every time we do not flight in club I have Group 1 on my boarding pass and she gets Group 2. While i have never had an issue from an agent after I said "she is with me", I wonder if we are doing something wrong for us to continuously have different group numbers on the BP.

In fact we once traveled on the same PNR with two further people who were Blue and they had group 4 on their passes, despite a Gold and a Silver being in the booking.

Thanks for the clarification
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mcgol
I have NEVER seen this. My partner is Silver and every time we do not flight in club I have Group 1 on my boarding pass and she gets Group 2. While i have never had an issue from an agent after I said "she is with me", I wonder if we are doing something wrong for us to continuously have different group numbers on the BP.
No, that is simply the way that the systems work at the present time. Gate agents should let you board together as you're on the same booking.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by mcgol
Can I just ask: from the above it seems that anyone with a lower status in the same PNR should get the same group number on the boarding pass as the highest BAEC member?

In fact we once traveled on the same PNR with two further people who were Blue and they had group 4 on their passes, despite a Gold and a Silver being in the booking.

Thanks for the clarification
BA are supposed to be doing a change to FLY to make it so group numbers work the work you have suggested. However it doesn't seem to be on the priority list and I've never had a problem as staff are aware - Sunday I flew as group 1 with a group 2 and 4 group 5's (on 3 PNRs which had been TCP'd). All were fine boarding at the same time.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks guys, glad it’s not just me doing something wrong all the time for it to be different groups.

and as mentioned in my post earlier, I never had any troubles with boarding together with someone in a lower group, so not complaining at all, just wanted to ask the question.

thanks
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What is TCP?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by seaskybound
What is TCP?
To Complete Party. (as I understand)

A way of linking bookings, often used as shorthand (tho not strictly correctly) by Golds who can extend their seat selection privs to others in the same cabin on a separate booking. Technically they are entirely separate functions, but they are often conflated it seems.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Yeah just printed our BPs and I'm G1, partner is G3 and four others are G4.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
One thing I noticed on Friday as I was walking to the First Wing they had a few check in desks at the end of a couple of banks of the lower sections for Club Europe and Prioirty... a welcome addition I thought with no more than a couple of people lined up whereas the Club check in zone was heaving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.