Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BSL check in opens only 2:15 before flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald

Just another data point I wish I knew... Now it’s a waiting game for the next hour

On a side note it’s really unfortunate... I guess BA isn’t keen to pay more to open check in earlier but come on!

Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
That's pretty normal. It's not as if it is a long haul flight with 300 passengers being checked in by three agents, or as if they operated a flight every hour.

Isn't 2 hours 15 minutes enough time to check in?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I haven't got a BSL to check but I'm pretty sure it says when check-in opens at BSL in Manage My Booking under flight line / check-in / other ways to check-in. Some places it's 90 minutes!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

It seems a little short ( for a European flight ) but not excessively but I think a lot of European outstations only open about 2hrs 30mins prior to the flight but out of interest what did MMB say about opening times?

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That's pretty normal. It's not as if it is a long haul flight with 300 passengers being checked in by three agents, or as if they operated a flight every hour.

Isn't 2 hours 15 minutes enough time to check in?
It would be but I tend to plan to arrive earlier than that. Although since CWS mentioned... I shall pay more attention to the info on my booking.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

It seems a little short ( for a European flight ) but not excessively but I think a lot of European outstations only open about 2hrs 30mins prior to the flight but out of interest what did MMB say about opening times?

Regards

TBS
MMB said 2:30, hopefully it does open that early
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
It would be but I tend to plan to arrive earlier than that. Although since CWS mentioned... I shall pay more attention to the info on my booking.
2h15min is 15 min earlier than at other S/H outstation. The really frustrating thing is to see check-in agents turn up early, set up everything and, rather than opening earlier (10-15 minutes), play on their phones. If you have already passengers waiting and everything ready to go, then let them check in!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:50 am

This is normal for BSL - I use it frequently when ZRH services are full/too expensive.

In reality, the agents usually start checking passengers in about 2hr 30mins before departure, but lets just say more of the French versus the German approach is taken.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Why would you arrive so early for such a short flight? You can travel from the centre of town to the airport in 20 minutes.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Hamburg had a sign up yesterday saying it now only opens 2 hours before the flight.

Bit of a pain because I arrived exactly 2 hours before the flight to be met with a VERY long Club Europe queue (and an even longer Y one).
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by thebigben

It's sensible to try to arrive a bit early but excessively early arrival is often a waste of time as you've found.

Unless it is one of those places with horrific traffic problems or you are coming from a long way away, aiming to arrive 2.5+ before seems perhaps a little too cautious.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 22, 2018 at 8:13 am
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Why would you arrive so early for such a short flight? You can travel from the centre of town to the airport in 20 minutes.
Depends where I am traveling from... I can cut it closer if I am in the same city but there I was 2 hours and many bus/train connections away. Granted the Swiss are pretty good but my policy hasn’t failed me either when the train network turns into a cluster.... once a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.