Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA62/63 [LHR<->Seychelles] Diversion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Question for the experts: if Mauritius or Mumbai are the only sensible diversion points for this flight does it carry extra fuel for the 1,000+ extra miles that might be needed?
How would Sunday's flight have diverted if they didn't?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Don't most modern twin engine jets now have 210-240 mins? The 77W certainly does, but those engines are the size of a 737
That's related to Trent 1000 issues and AD which FAA issued back in April limiting ETOPS for this engine to 140.
Actually, I stand corrected, a new AD sets it to 60, but guess that only applies to TATL routes.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Question for the experts: if Mauritius or Mumbai are the only sensible diversion points for this flight does it carry extra fuel for the 1,000+ extra miles that might be needed?
In some situations, taking Perth as an example Island holding would be permitted. This allows for an extended hold at destination whilst the runway is cleared. There are various rules about weather conditions etc, so it rarely comes into play.I'm not sure if BA's internal regs allow this but maybe one of the BA insiders can confirm.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by luitje

That's related to Trent 1000 issues and AD which FAA issued back in April limiting ETOPS for this engine to 140.
Actually, I stand corrected, a new AD sets it to 60, but guess that only applies to TATL routes.
Not all Trents are covered by this AD
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by luitje
This is interesting. From the risk management perspective you have a cost of around $30K (around 5K gallons of fuel to fly 1,000 miles at a slightly inflated cost of $6/gallon) for your average B747.
But most of the time this fuel is not used, so the only cost is carrying it.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by linz36
But most of the time this fuel is not used, so the only cost is carrying it.
Not quite. If this fuel is still in the tanks on landing it will affect the payload the aircraft can carry.Max landing weight is a fixed figure. Deduct APS weight (Aircraft prepared for service) and fuel reserves and you have payload. If this limites landing weight, then to carry extra fuel you must reduce payload, which gets expensive. This is why Cathay Pacific uses Island holding at Perth occasionally.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Back in the day - around late 80’s and most of the 90’s - SEZ and MRU, as many here will no doubt be aware, were actually linked on the BA network and I flew to both several times on the 747 service. And IIRC there was also an intermediate stop at DXB (which I seem to think may have changed to AUH and even BAH, briefly) so going all the way down to MRU could be, literally, a long haul. Also used Air France (no idea if they still cover the route ....) and Air Seychelles in what was called Pearl Class and involved even more stops than BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.