Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat belt sign and bell activate 10-12 times at one second intervals?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond

Flew back from Milan on Friday with family after short break. Very busy flight for 3 cabin crew members with 7 rows of CE although rows 6 and 7 not occupied.
About half way through the flight the seat belt light illuminated and the bell rang 10-12 times in close succession and the seat belt signs then remained on.

It caused quite a bit of concern in the cabin as no-one knew what to expect. I've not experienced it before. Nothing was said by cabin crew or pilots but the cabin crew member working in CE closed the curtain and spoke to the pilots on the intercom at the front. A short while later he entered the cockpit. Thereafter the seat belt light was turned off.

When I was leaving the plane, I asked one of the cabin crew what the seat belt sign issue was about but was told simply 'it was nothing to worry about'.
I'm guessing it was a simple as the pilots' coffee hadn't been delivered. Any other thoughts?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Captain had diarrhoea and needed to go quickly.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Was it a 767 by any chance?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Yup that was my guess to. Anything over 6 in quick succession surely indicates "Watch the FD door coz im gonna pee myself!"
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Yup that was my guess to. Anything over 6 in quick succession surely indicates "Watch the FD door coz im gonna pee myself!"
No-one came out the cockpit so the pilot's plumbing seemed to be functioning within standard parameters
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Was it a 767 by any chance?
No it was a A319, pretty good and clean condition. Didn't seem to be a malfunction, nothing said and per FlightRadar the plane left on its next sector with an hour turnaround.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Ah... no idea what it means if it was a proper signal. My last 767 had the full disco lights and call button pings for a full 10 minutes ... I was impressed by how few of the passengers seemed concerned at all Clearly I was completely unfazed by it
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Ah... no idea what it means if it was a proper signal. My last 767 had the full disco lights and call button pings for a full 10 minutes ... I was impressed by how few of the passengers seemed concerned at all Clearly I was completely unfazed by it
I was wondering if it was a 767 too, as I had the same experience as you a few months back. I have a video of it somewhere, as it was pretty strange. We hadn't even pushed back yet.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I work on the railway for a company who have those ‘Bullseye Star Prize - look at what you could have won’ toilets. A Japanese tourist had pressed the alarm thinking it was the flush and someone had gone in after but before I could get to it to reset it. They took for-ever, much biddly-booping of the alarm followed!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inflight game of "Simon Says"?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:53 pm

Sounds like the CIDS system (Cabin Intercommunication Data System) was having a 'moment'. It controls all the cabin lighting, PA system, call bell lights, seat belt signs etc. and all the displays for the cabin crew. https://hursts.org.uk/airbus-technic...l/ar01s10.html

If you're on the ground, the system can be reset by the flight crew which knocks everything out and all the lights flash on and off for a while, before it comes back on. Airborne, the system wouldn't normally be reset as we lose the PA system, control of the lighting etc. So if it was an intermittent fault (as this seems to be, and bear in mind, I am a mere M&S sandwich seller and have no more technical knowledge than is provided in our manuals, and talking to engineers and flight crew), they would probably leave it until the next turnaround to reset it. There is no special call for flight crew digestive issues!

The 767 disco lights and call bell symphony is just a delight. I'm always amazed how few passengers even notice it's going on!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:07 pm

Yep, definitely sounds like the CIDS throwing a wobbly.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the explanation @bwaflyer. It's great to have contributions from 'BA insiders' who can add first hand knowledge and experience to the BA forum.
newyorklondon, mrow and bwaflyer like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
I work on the railway for a company who have those ‘Bullseye Star Prize - look at what you could have won’ toilets. A Japanese tourist had pressed the alarm thinking it was the flush and someone had gone in after but before I could get to it to reset it. They took for-ever, much biddly-booping of the alarm followed!
If you work for that troubled intercity operator based out of EDB, you just wait til the trains are Japanese too.

I had a similar problem on my train last week, lady pulled the passcom vice flush and I could taste that smell from the toilet for hours.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by bwaflyer
Sounds like the CIDS system (Cabin Intercommunication Data System) was having a 'moment'. It controls all the cabin lighting, PA system, call bell lights, seat belt signs etc. and all the displays for the cabin crew. https://hursts.org.uk/airbus-technic...l/ar01s10.html

If you're on the ground, the system can be reset by the flight crew which knocks everything out and all the lights flash on and off for a while, before it comes back on. Airborne, the system wouldn't normally be reset as we lose the PA system, control of the lighting etc. So if it was an intermittent fault (as this seems to be, and bear in mind, I am a mere M&S sandwich seller and have no more technical knowledge than is provided in our manuals, and talking to engineers and flight crew), they would probably leave it until the next turnaround to reset it. There is no special call for flight crew digestive issues!

The 767 disco lights and call bell symphony is just a delight. I'm always amazed how few passengers even notice it's going on!
It does sound like CIDS being CIDS and having a moment. There is a reset that can be done inflight but as mentioned above full system functionality may be lost for about 4 mins or so. A single odd event in CIDs would probably be left alone and we wouldn’t generally bother once into the descent and approach phase but if the system throws a full on wobbly, then we can reset it. CIDS is a perfect example of why I won’t get on a pilotless aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.