Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat belt sign and bell activate 10-12 times at one second intervals?

Seat belt sign and bell activate 10-12 times at one second intervals?

Reply

Old Jul 2, 18, 3:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: near Heathrow
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,794
Seat belt sign and bell activate 10-12 times at one second intervals?

Flew back from Milan on Friday with family after short break. Very busy flight for 3 cabin crew members with 7 rows of CE although rows 6 and 7 not occupied.
About half way through the flight the seat belt light illuminated and the bell rang 10-12 times in close succession and the seat belt signs then remained on.

It caused quite a bit of concern in the cabin as no-one knew what to expect. I've not experienced it before. Nothing was said by cabin crew or pilots but the cabin crew member working in CE closed the curtain and spoke to the pilots on the intercom at the front. A short while later he entered the cockpit. Thereafter the seat belt light was turned off.

When I was leaving the plane, I asked one of the cabin crew what the seat belt sign issue was about but was told simply 'it was nothing to worry about'.
I'm guessing it was a simple as the pilots' coffee hadn't been delivered. Any other thoughts?
gcuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 3:15 am
  #2  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,072
Captain had diarrhoea and needed to go quickly.
madfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 5:18 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BKK
Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Posts: 503
Was it a 767 by any chance?
SKT-DK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 6:05 am
  #4  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brighton UK
Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Posts: 534
Yup that was my guess to. Anything over 6 in quick succession surely indicates "Watch the FD door coz im gonna pee myself!"
TWCLAM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 6:21 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: near Heathrow
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,794
Originally Posted by TWCLAM View Post
Yup that was my guess to. Anything over 6 in quick succession surely indicates "Watch the FD door coz im gonna pee myself!"
No-one came out the cockpit so the pilot's plumbing seemed to be functioning within standard parameters
TWCLAM likes this.
gcuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 6:25 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: near Heathrow
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,794
Originally Posted by SKT-DK View Post
Was it a 767 by any chance?
No it was a A319, pretty good and clean condition. Didn't seem to be a malfunction, nothing said and per FlightRadar the plane left on its next sector with an hour turnaround.
gcuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 6:44 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, CPH, ARN or HEL
Programs: Mucci Silver, BA GFL / GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Posts: 4,101
Ah... no idea what it means if it was a proper signal. My last 767 had the full disco lights and call button pings for a full 10 minutes ... I was impressed by how few of the passengers seemed concerned at all Clearly I was completely unfazed by it
ThatT1Feeling is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 6:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: EDI
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
Ah... no idea what it means if it was a proper signal. My last 767 had the full disco lights and call button pings for a full 10 minutes ... I was impressed by how few of the passengers seemed concerned at all Clearly I was completely unfazed by it
I was wondering if it was a 767 too, as I had the same experience as you a few months back. I have a video of it somewhere, as it was pretty strange. We hadn't even pushed back yet.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
mrvincent is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 3:36 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 55
I work on the railway for a company who have those ‘Bullseye Star Prize - look at what you could have won’ toilets. A Japanese tourist had pressed the alarm thinking it was the flush and someone had gone in after but before I could get to it to reset it. They took for-ever, much biddly-booping of the alarm followed!
EDIwanderer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 3:42 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,786
Inflight game of "Simon Says"?
TomMM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:53 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 479
Sounds like the CIDS system (Cabin Intercommunication Data System) was having a 'moment'. It controls all the cabin lighting, PA system, call bell lights, seat belt signs etc. and all the displays for the cabin crew. https://hursts.org.uk/airbus-technic...l/ar01s10.html

If you're on the ground, the system can be reset by the flight crew which knocks everything out and all the lights flash on and off for a while, before it comes back on. Airborne, the system wouldn't normally be reset as we lose the PA system, control of the lighting etc. So if it was an intermittent fault (as this seems to be, and bear in mind, I am a mere M&S sandwich seller and have no more technical knowledge than is provided in our manuals, and talking to engineers and flight crew), they would probably leave it until the next turnaround to reset it. There is no special call for flight crew digestive issues!

The 767 disco lights and call bell symphony is just a delight. I'm always amazed how few passengers even notice it's going on!
bwaflyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 5:07 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 62
Yep, definitely sounds like the CIDS throwing a wobbly.
wingtip428 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 7:59 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: near Heathrow
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,794
Thanks for the explanation @bwaflyer. It's great to have contributions from 'BA insiders' who can add first hand knowledge and experience to the BA forum.
newyorklondon, mrow and bwaflyer like this.
gcuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:08 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BRS
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer View Post
I work on the railway for a company who have those ‘Bullseye Star Prize - look at what you could have won’ toilets. A Japanese tourist had pressed the alarm thinking it was the flush and someone had gone in after but before I could get to it to reset it. They took for-ever, much biddly-booping of the alarm followed!
If you work for that troubled intercity operator based out of EDB, you just wait til the trains are Japanese too.

I had a similar problem on my train last week, lady pulled the passcom vice flush and I could taste that smell from the toilet for hours.
Schwann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 18, 5:07 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,308
Originally Posted by bwaflyer View Post
Sounds like the CIDS system (Cabin Intercommunication Data System) was having a 'moment'. It controls all the cabin lighting, PA system, call bell lights, seat belt signs etc. and all the displays for the cabin crew. https://hursts.org.uk/airbus-technic...l/ar01s10.html

If you're on the ground, the system can be reset by the flight crew which knocks everything out and all the lights flash on and off for a while, before it comes back on. Airborne, the system wouldn't normally be reset as we lose the PA system, control of the lighting etc. So if it was an intermittent fault (as this seems to be, and bear in mind, I am a mere M&S sandwich seller and have no more technical knowledge than is provided in our manuals, and talking to engineers and flight crew), they would probably leave it until the next turnaround to reset it. There is no special call for flight crew digestive issues!

The 767 disco lights and call bell symphony is just a delight. I'm always amazed how few passengers even notice it's going on!
It does sound like CIDS being CIDS and having a moment. There is a reset that can be done inflight but as mentioned above full system functionality may be lost for about 4 mins or so. A single odd event in CIDs would probably be left alone and we wouldn’t generally bother once into the descent and approach phase but if the system throws a full on wobbly, then we can reset it. CIDS is a perfect example of why I won’t get on a pilotless aircraft.
Waterhorse is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread