Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anti-plastic movement and BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I’ve even gone as far as throwing rubbish back through someone’s car window! That really got me, as I walking along the pavement!
Very funny and quite right! An extreme example I saw of this was when I was with a fellow student walking down the King's Road in Chelsea..... he was a motor cyclist and we were walking together when someone threw a fag end of of his window onto the pavement, my friend picked it up, blew on it to heat it up while he ran up to the car and chucked it back in.... the reaction was hilarious and most instructive!

Last edited by ginger50; Jul 1, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Conventional wisdom is that plastic waste in the seas tends to come from rivers. I'd be willing to wager that almost none of it comes from British Airways rubbish.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by 13900
Basically, and very simply, the swizzles come in very large boxes. Once one is opened, it's thrown away. We've changed the policy so that the swizzles are only loaded ex-LHR (or Gatwick, I suppose), in specific positions for return containers. They are to be stowed there, so they can be used on both ends. Been going on since April, however at present, as I said, the focus is to reduce single-use plastics and coffee cups on the ground, mainly because it's easier!

All this is my own opinion and not BA's.
I hope they can keep using the contents until they're gone rather than being thrown out after a return flight. It seems like such a waste, regardless of possible harm to the environment to throw out the non-perishable leftovers.

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Conventional wisdom is that plastic waste in the seas tends to come from rivers. I'd be willing to wager that almost none of it comes from British Airways rubbish.
Rubbish from landfill sites etc. (which BA rubbish could end up in) can still end up in rivers and then end up in the ocean, so I guess whatever can be done to reduce non-biodegradable rubbish may be a good thing, especially when there is no need to produce the rubbish. (Even though most ocean rubbish patches reportedly come from rivers in Asia...)

I guess besides the ocean rubbish issue, it wouldn't be a bad thing to reduce non-recyclable/biodegradable waste anyway.

Maybe someone could invent a method of turning plastic into Jet A-1 cheaply and efficiently and BA could become the first recycled fuel burner

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 1, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:20 pm

I don’t think the ocean plastic rubbish problem comes from either airlines or the rubbish disposal of developed countries. It comes from the masses of rubbish just dumped by poorer countries and this ends up in the rivers and seas.

I remember, to keep a nautical theme going, sailing in Spanish rias where the local dump was the top of the cliff and the way to get rid of it was to ignite a fire and then bulldoze it into the sea. That was before Spain joined Europe and started to behave itself! While Iberian rubbish (both peninsular and airline) is now well controlled many, many countries can’t deal with bottles and bags and that creates the huge rubbish dumps in the oceans.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:02 pm

Ouch.... the best part of the amenity kit is the bag..... what would I put my meds, creams, insect repellents, and STUFF in if I didn't have those handy bags?
How about those one litre see-through resealable bags we all have to use at security? Or could we get rid of them as well?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RGS5526
How about those one litre see-through resealable bags we all have to use at security? Or could we get rid of them as well?
I tend to make it last for about 10 flights on average so not entirely single use.

However, I cannot make the LHR one last that long. ATH or Fraport Greece ones tend to last longer (it could be their shape, which is not as square as the LHR one, and they're a bit thicker) so I pick them up when I'm at one of those airports.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
They are getting rid of the stir sticks for mixed drinks???? Sounds like cost cutting in the name of going green - one of my big pet peeves.
God eating out for you must be awful. Conspiracies to, gasp, save money, everywhere!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm one of those increasingly uneasy about what we are doing to the planet. Politically it is interesting that many of the stakeholders also pushing on this now belong to the right hand side of the aisle as well as the left. The plastic bag charge in the UK owes itself at least in part to pressure from the Daily Mail rather than the Guardian. But over in the Sunday Telegraph yesterday there was by coincidence this letter:
Pseudo-recycling
SIR - Travelling from Geneva to London Heathrow recently, I was pleased to see that BA is now using recyclable (if only one-use) tea and coffee cups. Unfortunately the steward informed me that there was only one bin, the cups had to go into the same rubbish bag as everything else.
Why can't our national carrier no longer get it quite right?
Gail North
Newbury, Berkshire.
Now I guess we can all learn from the zinging brevity of newspaper letters, but I hope FTers can also consider other things we, as individual travellers, can do, rather than leaving it all to companies such as BA. For example I go around with a bag-for-life, a mug and a plastic beaker (and swizzle stick!) to try and set and do my bit. I was in Taipei and Manila last week and the shopkeepers there were amazed that I didn't need one of their bags. The Philippines is one of those places with huge problems in this space, chucking out huge amounts of plastic into a coastline of 7,107 islands.
squawk likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Pseudo-recycling
SIR - Travelling from Geneva to London Heathrow recently, I was pleased to see that BA is now using recyclable (if only one-use) tea and coffee cups. Unfortunately the steward informed me that there was only one bin, the cups had to go into the same rubbish bag as everything else.
Why can't our national carrier no longer get it quite right?
Gail North
Newbury, Berkshire.
I guess there might not be enough space on board (short haul) to have separate bins.

However, I heard the announcement about newspaper recycling on BA many times, i.e. asking people to leave it on seats in row 1. I wonder if that still happens, as I haven't heard that announcement for a while?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
I don't take milk nor sugar in my tea or coffee and I find that the sugar/creamer is in a plastic bagged sachet with the napkin (usually in ET). How about CC asking if sugar/creamer/milk is required and handing over a basket for you to pick what you need. Likewise with butter and jam/marmalade. Although there are all individually (mostly plastic) wrapped items - it is more about reducing the food waste part of it.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:05 am

How long before one of the MP's decide to float Plastic Passenger Duty
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by FEMW
I don't take milk nor sugar in my tea or coffee and I find that the sugar/creamer is in a plastic bagged sachet with the napkin (usually in ET). How about CC asking if sugar/creamer/milk is required and handing over a basket for you to pick what you need. Likewise with butter and jam/marmalade. Although there are all individually (mostly plastic) wrapped items - it is more about reducing the food waste part of it.
Yes reducing food waste is also important. One issue that airlines have - so not BA specific - is that once a food item has been given over to a passenger it cannot be taken off thr tray and put back in the systen - at least that is what several CC who post on here have said.

I'm not 100% sure if that is the same for items CC offer to pax. If those items - jam pots, butter, milk cartons etc that remain in the basket can go back into the food supply then yes it could make sense for those items to be offered from a basket rather than being on the tray. Problem is that the caterer would need to employ staff to sort these items and put them back into circulation and that could end up with expiry date problems as well as increasing costs.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Heathrow airport is also working on this problem. Here is the embedded Costa in Compass House, Heathrow's headquarters building. It has reusable hard cups, compare with the standard Costa single use poorly-recycled cup in the advetisement above the counter.

Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Meanwhile, you can see from the vitriolic and immediate reaction above that there is significant consumer resistance from some consumers. This makes change more difficult, especially when a few griefers can easily derail any change with volume of complaints, fictional complaints on social media, and other time-wasting.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm glad to be living somewhere where recycling is enthusiastically embraced. We get 2 bags [OK, plastic!] ... one for paper/thin card, and the other for tins/plastic. Collected every 2 weeks and processed in various ways. We also have Glass recycling banks everywhere, and a large Garden Waste compound that processes it into 'soil improver' for re-sale locally. The general Household waste/recycling facility is also impressive.

https://www.gov.je/Environment/Waste...ges/index.aspx

https://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDoc...1216%20ERC.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.