FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anti-plastic movement and BA?
View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:14 am
UKtravelbear
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by FEMW
I don't take milk nor sugar in my tea or coffee and I find that the sugar/creamer is in a plastic bagged sachet with the napkin (usually in ET). How about CC asking if sugar/creamer/milk is required and handing over a basket for you to pick what you need. Likewise with butter and jam/marmalade. Although there are all individually (mostly plastic) wrapped items - it is more about reducing the food waste part of it.
Yes reducing food waste is also important. One issue that airlines have - so not BA specific - is that once a food item has been given over to a passenger it cannot be taken off thr tray and put back in the systen - at least that is what several CC who post on here have said.

I'm not 100% sure if that is the same for items CC offer to pax. If those items - jam pots, butter, milk cartons etc that remain in the basket can go back into the food supply then yes it could make sense for those items to be offered from a basket rather than being on the tray. Problem is that the caterer would need to employ staff to sort these items and put them back into circulation and that could end up with expiry date problems as well as increasing costs.