Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What does " Cancel check-in and exit" actually do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!

Just a Friday afternoon curiosity - does anyone actually have experience of what this functionality on the app (and presumably the website) actually does in practice? Knowing BA, the answer is probably one of

a) nothing
b) does cancel check-in, but also results in locking your booking so only the airport can do anything, or
c) cancels check-in, and also your entire booking ;-)

Having checked in and downloaded boarding card (I know, amateur mistake), I see my conference now ends soon enough for me to catch an earlier flight. I'm going to ask at the airport, but in theory (ha!) this option on the app should be just what you need to reset your booking to its pre-checkin state enabling you to change it yourself online. I'm 100% certain that won't be the case though, so was wondering what in fact it DOES do...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
It does nothing.

However, it is possible to change flights online after you have checked-in. The system offloads you once you confirm the change.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The next desirable improvement would be to offload you if you wanted to change seats - then BA would be catching up with the market leaders in short haul aviation in Europe by allowing change of seat after checkin.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by flatlander
The next desirable improvement would be to offload you if you wanted to change seats - then BA would be catching up with the market leaders in short haul aviation in Europe by allowing change of seat after checkin.
I think it does - just so long as you don't print boarding pass?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
I think it does - just so long as you don't print boarding pass?
Yes, but that's not a useful way for it to work. It should be possible to change a seat even if you have printed a boarding pass.

"Checked in but boarding pass not delivered to customer (printed or downloaded)" is a bizarre liminal status that customers should not have to exploit to be able to change seats.

You should automatically off-loaded to change a seat after the boarding pass is printed, then you can check in and print or download the new boarding pass again after moving seat.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Or simply remain checked in while you change your seat. Other airlines don't cancel your check-in when you change your seat after issuing your BP.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Just a Friday afternoon curiosity - does anyone actually have experience of what this functionality on the app (and presumably the website) actually does in practice? Knowing BA, the answer is probably one of

a) nothing
b) does cancel check-in, but also results in locking your booking so only the airport can do anything, or
c) cancels check-in, and also your entire booking ;-)

Having checked in and downloaded boarding card (I know, amateur mistake), I see my conference now ends soon enough for me to catch an earlier flight. I'm going to ask at the airport, but in theory (ha!) this option on the app should be just what you need to reset your booking to its pre-checkin state enabling you to change it yourself online. I'm 100% certain that won't be the case though, so was wondering what in fact it DOES do...
As far as I know, all it does is it stops the checkin process before you confirm that you want to check in. Until you click on confirm check in, you aren't checked in. Just switching off your phone or closing the app has largely the same effect. The option isn't available to you if you are actually checked in.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BAAZ
As far as I know, all it does is it stops the checkin process before you confirm that you want to check in. Until you click on confirm check in, you aren't checked in. Just switching off your phone or closing the app has largely the same effect. The option isn't available to you if you are actually checked in.
If you check-in and confirm your seat choice but don't print/download your boarding pass, you still have the option to Cancel check-in and exit. The same applies if you haven't printed/downloaded your boarding pass and you go back in to see what seats there are.

In both cases you are checked-in (and the website will say so), but you still have the option to Cancel check-in and exit because the check-in process isn't fully complete because you don't yet have your boarding pass.

For the same reason, the main MMB page will say something like Check-in in progress even though you are checked-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.