Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where has all the CX Avios availability gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where has all the CX Avios availability gone?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:16 am

hkg-icn

I still cannot see any availability for march which is when I fly, but even all the way out to oct 2019, I do not see any availability even in economy. I swear I saw some last week. Does this come and go? Very weird.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
HKG-ICN: try BKK-HKG-ICN or TPE-HKG-ICN to determine whether married segments is part of it.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:58 am

Trying to book a flight with CX, using Avios on BAEXC between HKG and any of the following: SIN/PER/ADL/MEL/SYD for December 14th 2019.

CX is showing zero availability for any of these routes on this date. The last date availability is showing, using Avios, is the 10th December. There is reward availability showing on Asia Miles. Refreshing at midnight didn’t show any fresh availability, so I highly doubt I have missed it.

Does CX always stop releasing Avios reward seats at this time of year? Very frustrating!

Last edited by Oneworldwheelsup; Dec 27, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Oneworldwheelsup
Trying to book a flight with CX, using Avios on BAEXC between HKG and any of the following: SIN/PER/ADL/MEL/SYD for December 14th 2019.

CX is showing zero availability for any of these routes on this date. The last date availability is showing, using Avios, is the 10th December. There is reward availability ahowig on Asia Miles. Refreshing at midnight didn’t show any fresh availability, so I highly doubt I have missed it.

Does CX always stop releasing Avios reward seats at this time of year? Very frustrating!
The married segment problem is also departing HKG.
In the case of Asia to Europe I found nothing searching from HKG, but then there was availability on the same dates for the HKG-XXX flight if starting for example in BKK or PEK, so the trip would have been BKK-HKG-XXX. Talk about creative routing here...

It's well possible the same happens for routes from HKG to other asian or australian cities
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
The married segment problem is also departing HKG.
In the case of Asia to Europe I found nothing searching from HKG, but then there was availability on the same dates for the HKG-XXX flight if starting for example in BKK or PEK, so the trip would have been BKK-HKG-XXX. Talk about creative routing here...

It's well possible the same happens for routes from HKG to other asian or australian cities
Anyone who looks for reward flights in CX will have noted that since CX changed their systems a few months ago the balance has massively tilted towards married sector availability. There has been a very significant reduction in direct flight availability both on intra Far East and long haul flights. Whether this is deliberate or an artifact of the new system I have no idea.
CO-PLAT and Lefly like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Oneworldwheelsup

CX is showing zero availability for any of these routes on this date. The last date availability is showing, using Avios, is the 10th December. There is reward availability showing on Asia Miles. Refreshing at midnight didn’t show any fresh availability, so I highly doubt I have missed it.

OK, I checked further and CX standard awards are only available 353 days out. It looks like the BA website is blocking past 351 days. Check QF to see if awards are available within 353 days and call BA to attempt to book if outside the BA 351 day block (352-353 days out).

https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ht-awards.html

Standard Award
Up to 353 days prior

Last edited by skimthetrees; Dec 27, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
No award availability at all for HKG-BKK for whole of November and December. No idea why or if there is availability with Asiamilea.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Asiamiles availability for the cheapo is gone too, CX has massively changed their approach to releasing the cheap seats (to both Asia miles and its partners) alas.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
No award availability at all for HKG-BKK for whole of November and December. No idea why or if there is availability with Asiamilea.
Ah, Married Segments rears its ugly head again. There is actually plenty of availability for through awards. LAX-BKK on Dec 10, 2019, for example, has PE, J, and F available. Nothing if you only want HKG-BKK though, you have to marry it with another long-haul segment.

ETA: And Asia Miles does have availability BTW for only HKG-BKK so they are exempting themselves from the married segment logic, at least in some cases.
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Dec 28, 2018 at 10:01 am
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

Does anyone know if BA flights from HKG count towards the married sector requirement?

I can see seats from HKG-LHR on 5 April and 6 April on both of the BA flights on each day but I’m starting in Bangkok. Searching BKK-HKG reveals no CX flights on either day but if I call BA and ask for BKK-HKG-LHR using CX for the first leg and BA for the second would this work, assuming the reason is to do with the married segment issue, or does this only apply on CX/CX connections?

Can see RJ on the 6th BKK-HKG which would work fine but I wanted a “free” day in Hong Kong so was hoping for an earlier CX flight (there are several looking at paid availability).
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by HarryKUK

Does anyone know if BA flights from HKG count towards the married sector requirement?

I can see seats from HKG-LHR on 5 April and 6 April on both of the BA flights on each day but I’m starting in Bangkok. Searching BKK-HKG reveals no CX flights on either day but if I call BA and ask for BKK-HKG-LHR using CX for the first leg and BA for the second would this work, assuming the reason is to do with the married segment issue, or does this only apply on CX/CX connections?

Can see RJ on the 6th BKK-HKG which would work fine but I wanted a “free” day in Hong Kong so was hoping for an earlier CX flight (there are several looking at paid availability).
unlikely to work as they are separate airlines.
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
it's happening again!!! when I try to find HKG-LHR in J/F (there was availability a few days ago for MANY dates in Oct and Nov 2019) and now all are gone. Tried BKK-HKG-LHR and it worked in J. Does anyone know if they will come back?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is there any better availability if you call BA vs. what the the website shows? Availability on the BA website for HKG-BKK (and vice-versa) is absolutely horrible. These used to be such easy redemptions, now there are literally weeks and weeks with no J seats at all. Availability through Asia Miles at the base (25k) level on my travel dates is abundant, but either not being released to BA, or not being shown on the website.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Kacee
Is there any better availability if you call BA vs. what the the website shows? Availability on the BA website for HKG-BKK (and vice-versa) is absolutely horrible. These used to be such easy redemptions, now there are literally weeks and weeks with no J seats at all. Availability through Asia Miles at the base (25k) level on my travel dates is abundant, but either not being released to BA, or not being shown on the website.
Not that I know or heard of.
HKG-BKK seems another route where there is the married segment problem, and BA cannot do anything about it.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
If base rate availability through Asia Miles is given, then chances are that you're just experiencing the well known BAEC availability display bug. Maybe cross check availability on aa.com as well, just for verification, but then call BA and ask.

What dates are you looking for, so that we can all see for ourselves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.