Wiki Posts
Search

Hiding menus in Galleries First

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Hiding menus in Galleries First

Sat in the Galleries First and wanted to order lunch rather than eat the slop. Hunted for a menu and could see only one on a table. Just wondering if this is BA saving printing costs for menus or trying to ensure not too many people order off the menu again saving money. Thoughts?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I imagine it's a lazy tact of the lounge staff / management - certainly not a BA directive who don't manage the lounges
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I have noticed this lately. My thought was that you're more likely to order something if you have a menu in front of you on a table, but you'd think given the nature of those using the GF that they'd know you can flag someone down and order from them. I normally go to the podium by the entrance to the refectory, ask to look at the menu briefly and then order there.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
There are usually some on the podium mentioned above. There were plenty in the lounge on Sunday.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by madfish
There are usually some on the podium mentioned above. There were plenty in the lounge on Sunday.
There were not many around when Mrs Boyfrombiot and I arrived at around 1530. I had to hunt around for one.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

I usually struggle to find one in LHR GF, there’s one or two around somewhere. The simplest explanation is likely to be the correct one in that the staff are disorganised or lazy at keeping one at every table like your average restaurant/lounge.

Having said that I’m sure BA has been aware of it over the years from the numerous threads here or through BA’s detailed feedback mechanisms/NPS and therefore by inaction are happy not to see them readily available - or they’d have resolved it by now.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by Boyfrombiot
There were not many around when Mrs Boyfrombiot and I arrived at around 1530. I had to hunt around for one.
I've noticed this for ages - keeps the waitressing requirements low and the waitresses can say "punters keep moving them off the tables"
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’ve only used GF 8 times since October last year and ever had a problem any time of day, staff always on hand and working very hard in taking and delivering orders. Appreciate people fly more than me but im happy with my 100% success.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Yes, they are much less widely distributed in GF than they were a couple of years ago. Right now, I can see only two, both at a podium.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The menus are usually on the tables in the eating area, though the passengers move them around a lot. They're not densely distributed around in the other seating areas any more, though they used to be.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I really loath how a couple of posters have jumped straight at 'lazy staff'. It one of the nasty sides of the BA board.

All you have to do is flag down a member of staff and ask for a menu and they will bring you one. It's not hard
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

All you have to do is flag down a member of staff and ask for a menu and they will bring you one. It's not hard
It's not hard for the Lounge staff to make sure there are sufficient paper menus on the tables. I really hate it when i get berated for expecting a decent service.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I really loath how a couple of posters have jumped straight at 'lazy staff'. It one of the nasty sides of the BA board.

I specifically meant lazy at putting the menus out, not lazy in general. If the menus are indeed supposed to be available on the dining tables that isn’t that a fair comment?

I’ve never once been without a menu in a QF or CX F lounge dining area, nor in fairness in the T3 BA GF lounge.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Having to ask for a menu is itself an impediment to service. It prevents the service being available by hiding it from the customers:

First of all, you have to know the menu is available, or guess there is more than the buffet.
Second, you have to be inclined and able to go to the staff and ask - not everyone is personally or culturally inclined and can communicate well enough with the staff.
Third, you have to actually find a staff member - they're not pro-active in contacting passengers, both because they are busy most of the time and because they are not inclined to do so.

Therefore failing to ensure that there are menus out for reference is bad service.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
The first time we went there, only one of the tables had a menu and we didn't see it, so didn't know there was food that you could order. Otherwise we would have ordered something from the menu in addition to the buffet. So next time we know to ask, but the problem is that unless you've seen the menu before, you won't know to ask...
flatlander and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.