Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

QR BAEC Bronze to Silver upgrade between out & rtn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR BAEC Bronze to Silver upgrade between out & rtn

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (OneWorld Emerald) & Hilton Honors Diamond
Cool QR BAEC Bronze to Silver upgrade between out & rtn

Hey my skilled flyertalk buddies, I'm sure some of you will have some advice for me here.

Currently on 420 BAEC TP having flown 11 flights on BA/IB metal, and over 8th & 9th June I took, two QR J class flights that give me 140 TP each, yeah, Silver is mine!

Except I'm flying home with Qatar in Economy, and I really want to have lounge access, priority boarding & extra baggage allowance that comes with BAEC Silver / OW Sapphire. My first return flight is on Mon 18th June.

No TP have posted yet to my BAEC account, if there is a delay do you think I can sweet talk BA into hurrying things along for me?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
QR TPs generally post on a Wednesday, so with any luck your outbound flights will both post this week, and your status will be updated by the weekend before you fly on the 18th. No you cannot sweet talk BA into hurrying things along for you.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
However what you certainly CAN do is keep your boarding passes etc from the outbound leg and explain as politely as possible to the QR lounge 'guardian' about the situation. My best guess is that you have at least a 50/50 chance, possibly better, that this will work for the lounge access even if your TPs haven't hit your account yet.

However I would be a bit surprised, unless there was something non standard in your booking, if the TPs aren't already there by then.

HTH
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:56 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Steven Jack, welcome to FT and the BA board.

As has been said, QR flights normally post on the following Wednesday, although sometimes you have to wait a week depending on the time of your Tuesday flight. Nonetheless, certainly recently posting seems to have been fairly predictable, so with a set of flights several days before I think you can rely on this.

Your BA status on the app/website should flip over before you fly again (you might need to log out and in again on the app), but clearly your physical card won't reach you and it's also possible the oneworld database won't update in time either so you won't have your status on your boarding pass..

I have no experience of QR status lounges, having only flown in J with them, so I don't know what obstacles, if any, will be put in your way if you present a virtual card to them. As you've probably realised, we have a QR forum with some very knowledgeable people so you might well get good advice if you post a slightly different question over there.

I would certainly be sceptical about QR accepting the previous BPs as evidence of your pending status - they are very unlikely to know how the BA scheme works or the required threshold levels, and likely will not be particularly interested in any explanation you give them!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pascoe
However what you certainly CAN do is keep your boarding passes etc from the outbound leg and explain as politely as possible to the QR lounge 'guardian' about the situation. My best guess is that you have at least a 50/50 chance, possibly better, that this will work for the lounge access even if your TPs haven't hit your account yet.
Really? The lounge staff, who at best will be employed by QR, or at worst employed by a handling agent, won’t have a clue about tier points or BA status. Just sounds like an extremely embarrassing way of talking yourself into not getting into a lounge.

rossmacd, orbitmic and etiene like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, sounds like there is a very good chance my status will have updated in time, in the worst case I have a Lounge Club card that will get me a something while I wait for my flight in BKK. My layover in DOH is only just over 2 hours, so lounge access there while nice is at best going to be a quick drop in and out, before my flight back to HEL, where I have a much longer layover awaiting an economy BA flight (19/06) to LHR, really hoping for the Finair lounge before that flight.

I'll be sure to share the outcome, especially around the OW DB and how smooth the whole thing is. :-)
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Steven Jack
Thanks everyone, sounds like there is a very good chance my status will have updated in time, in the worst case I have a Lounge Club card that will get me a something while I wait for my flight in BKK. My layover in DOH is only just over 2 hours, so lounge access there while nice is at best going to be a quick drop in and out, before my flight back to HEL, where I have a much longer layover awaiting an economy BA flight (19/06) to LHR, really hoping for the Finair lounge before that flight.
Just in case you're not a QR regular, don't forget that the lounge you use in DOH as a Oneworld Saphire travelling in Y ("Business Class Lounge") is different to the one you will have used outbound when travelling in QR J class ("Al Mourjan")
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Schwann

Really? The lounge staff, who at best will be employed by QR, or at worst employed by a handling agent, won’t have a clue about tier points or BA status. Just sounds like an extremely embarrassing way of talking yourself into not getting into a lounge.
Experience says otherwise... I’ve thrice politely asked (not expected) the lounge agent if I could be permitted access as my BA EC status was late in updating (once into QF F lounge at LAX, once into the LATAM lounge in GRU and once into the JL F lounge at HND).

Twice permitted with a smile and a wave into the lounge, and once denied politely - I’ll leave you to guess which carrier was a stickler for the rules
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I always figure in these situations it costs nothing to ask, and the same nothing to ask super politely, and I find it is more often than not a winning strategy. I'm not talking p1ss take requests mind (no status, amble up to gold lounge and ask what are the chances etc). But requests that have some degree of reasonableness to them.

Quickest way to be denied, conversly, is to imply, overtly or otherwise, some degree of entitlement unless you're absolutely sure you have it. This is a proven confrontation trigger in general. Whereas asking someone for help is a trigger for a different kind of response.

And remember, regardless of how generally successful the strategy is, Airport and Airline recruitment schemes do AIM to get the staff who are front facing to be, erm, people people / people persons / person people (I have no idea what the clue of people person is). So they should in theory be personalities who get positive reinforcement from these acts of assistance.

There - that'll trigger a huge additional thread about staff personality traits ;-)
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Steven Jack
Currently on 420 BAEC TP having flown 11 flights on BA/IB metal, and over 8th & 9th June I took, two QR J class flights that give me 140 TP each, yeah, Silver is mine!
I just wanted to check that your membership year end isn't 8 June.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

8th of Oct is my end of membership year, so no stress there, 8th of June was my 40th! hence my trip really. The LHR to HEL cabin crew including the Captain and SFO, gave me a really sweet birthday card when I flew on the 7th, you do you see so many people moan about BA, but they do have some fantastic service. It made me feel so touched and special. Plus they made extra sure my champagne glass was never empty! But to be fair in CE they are always pretty good with the booze.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Airprox
Just in case you're not a QR regular, don't forget that the lounge you use in DOH as a Oneworld Saphire travelling in Y ("Business Class Lounge") is different to the one you will have used outbound when travelling in QR J class ("Al Mourjan")
And the one for Silver/Sapphire really isn't great. However on a couple of occasions they've waved me into the Gold one instead which was a little more relaxing.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, just logged into my account and it's now showing a total of 720 TP, and a message saying you have achieved silver. I still can't reserve seats on flights > 7 days away, but I imagine once my account properly moves to silver I'll have that ability.

As for the lounge in DOH, yeah I know Qatar save the best lounge for their own Business PAX, but I have such a quick turn around in DOH, I'm not too bothered, but it will be nice to use the Cathay Pacific lounge in BKK, always enjoy their noodle bar!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.