Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original routing credit when rebooked 6 months in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

I think I know the answer to this one ("no"), but does anyone have experience of BA giving original routing credit when a change has been required well in advance of travel?

I just got a call from BA (very proactive) on a trip booked two weeks ago for travel in May - upside of an extra 29 minutes in NYC (for a 23:59 stop-over!), but my return route of SAN-PHX-JFK no longer works...

Given my 270 TPs for transcon was out the window I suggested (and got) 45 mins economy hop to LA (and an extra few hours sleep) plus J to JFK for 150 TPs rather than the 210 TPs for SAN-JFK direct. Comfort trade off less compelling when only 60 TPs in it

(OT - 2 hrs MCT from domestic to international at JFK was being enforced, recall some recent comments on that)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
If it was invol reroute then I believe you should be credited if it was down to BA, not AA tho.

But the amount of notice may impact.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Nov 25, 2014 at 8:38 am Reason: notice
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I don't believe you will have much success here considering you asked for the routing that gives you less tier points. If you really need the additional TPs I would find a routing that provides that and call and tell them you want to change to that routing so that you can requalify or whatever it is you need the TPs for.

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...options-3.html
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
Not exactly on topic, but it's close enough where I don't want to open a new thread.

Several months in on first achieving BAEC Gold, and I have been completely blown away by the in flight service--it is without parallel across the pond in the states (where service for similar *A and OWE status pales by comparison on domestic carriers). I've received not only a personal greeting but a chat with the chief FA on every non-redeye long haul I've flown since achieving status.

One thing I did enjoy from the US carriers, however, was extreme flexibility on rerouting. I've seen around these parts evidence of BA nickeling and diming their FFs, and wonder if the general unofficial policy for a "space providing" re-route is "just do it" or "you have to pay for that".

A couple of examples (which I'm aware of are during peak summer, so do want to emphasize "space providing" even if that is unlikely):

30 Jun I booked LHR-ORD-SFO (BA297/AA1495) as it's the latest flight out to get back to SFO that day. If I do get to LHR early and there is availability on the direct A380, wondering what to expect for a reroute request in the lounge

11 August I booked LHR-PHX-OAK (BA289/AA761 -- longer story behind that); similarly if the 380 has room, again wondering.

Insight and/or past experience much appreciated!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:53 am

It would depend on the fare rules of the ticket, generally a change fee plus fare difference. The exception would be when there are issues with your booked flights (overbooking, delays) where they 'may' choose to transfer you for no charge
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by sanfran767

A couple of examples (which I'm aware of are during peak summer, so do want to emphasize "space providing" even if that is unlikely):

30 Jun I booked LHR-ORD-SFO (BA297/AA1495) as it's the latest flight out to get back to SFO that day. If I do get to LHR early and there is availability on the direct A380, wondering what to expect for a reroute request in the lounge

11 August I booked LHR-PHX-OAK (BA289/AA761 -- longer story behind that); similarly if the 380 has room, again wondering.
I second the advice already provided. Any voluntary change of routing will be subject to the ticket rules, i.e. you will be asked to pay change fee + possible upfare.

You asked for first hand experience: Some time ago I was booked OSL-LHR-ORD-SEA (I class ticket traveling HBO) and I inquired @ LHR whether BA would put me on the direct BA service to SEA rather than BA297 to ORD. No dice...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Hell will freeze over before you get any free changes (unless allowed by fare rules) from BA. I learnt my lesson during a 7 hour lounge break...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Hell will freeze over before you get any free changes (unless allowed by fare rules) from BA. I learnt my lesson during a 7 hour lounge break...
Untrue. BA moved me from LHR-BSL to LHR-ZRH (RFS booking) several hours earlier for free on the last UK bank holiday. I asked politely at the Ticketing desk at the F check-in area. Saved me about 2 hours hanging about in the CCR ^

I've also had free changes of the last sector of a EU-US-EU ticket changed from destinations such as OSL, ARN, AMS etc usually to ZRH/BSL (depending on availability). I wouldn't have been travelling onward to the destination in any case, but the free change was welcome rather than booking an Avios seat on the day just before departure.
sanfran767 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Indeed. I have reroutes at my initiation in the lounge several times to earlier flights with (slightly) different end destinations (e.g. LCY instead of LHR, EWR instead of JFK and vice versa), or the same destination but earlier (e.g. DUB->LHR). I don't think I've ever tried swapping an indirect route for a direct one (but that's because I normally take the direct if available). Ask on the phone beforehand and you will be told about fare rules etc., but in the lounge I get asked if I have hand baggage only and often succeed because the flight I'm meant to be on is (over)full. I've only been given two reasons for refusal: flight I'm asking about is full, and I'm too late - in both cases these often come after a call to the checkin desk "can you take 1 pax in J no checked luggage" (or similar). For transatlantic flights "too late" seems to be earlier than you think - something about passenger manifests already prepared or similar.
sanfran767 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.