Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First memory of BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nwmgc
1959 was surely long before she was born...?
You'll have to work harder than that for a MUCCI.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
First experience of BA - flying to BCN and FRA for work around 1998 or 1999. Business Class was the company standard and a particularly memorable flight was the return from FRA where I was feeling under the weather and especially after many long days at work. I boarded and was in the old, proper CE seats and felt such relief to be on my way back home.

Family flights at that time were normally Monarch 'Crown Class' or whatever it was called. Decent breakfast and Bucks Fizz on the way to Spain.....
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:32 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

1995, JFK-LHR, Y class...but what I remember most is the menu's guessing game (name that BA destination).
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:50 am

I think I’d used them before, but my first memory is my first long haul trip on ba to Denver in 2008 to go skiing with a mate (after his dad let us use his Condo in Aspen).

I remember thinking the 777 at the time was fairly state of the art, even though it featured the entertainment that used to be cycles, Y had decent leg room and the food and drink was plentiful back then. I also still remember being shocked when on landing in Denver the screens were still displaying -19 degrees!

As it was my first trip to America, I had no idea how hard it was going to buy a beer as an 18 year old, and my outstanding standing memory of the trip was how good the beer and gin and tonic tasted after take off on the flight home, having effectively had a 10 day dry holiday.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA,
Sir Robert Morley BA TV commercial

In 1979 I took my first BA flight to London from Philadelphia as part of my honeymoon trip. My new bride and I ( me 25, she 23) arrived at the old International Terminal at PHL the day after our wedding with tickets to a Rome on Alitalia. We checked in several hours early, depositing our checked luggage and obtained our boarding passes. We then left the airport with my new in-laws to attend a christening party in South Philadelphia for a relative in my new extended family. Upon returning to the airport for our flight we discovered the Alitalia flight coming from Boston had been canceled and there was no flight out till Wednesday (this was Sunday evening).

As our trip trip included a few days in a Rome and a few in London we inquired if it would be possible to do the trip in reverse and go to London Sunday evening on the BA flight that was leaving in the next hour or so. I don’t remember how the Alitalia folks made it happen but they did get us on the BA flight. As time was of the essence my new father-in-law and I somehow made it outside to find our checked bags on the baggage cart for the Alitalia flight and bring the bags back inside to be rechecked by BA. Security was certainly much less in those days.

After a mad dash to the BA counter to checkin again we were on our way. When the aircraft arrived and we were led outside to the air stairs we saw that we were not boarding a British Airways aircraft but if memory serves me, an Air New Zealand plane. Even in 1979 BA was forced to occasionally lease aircraft to substitute on some routes. The cabin crew were all BA and for a kid who had never been out of the country’s before it was a magical ride to London.

Alitalia only rebooked our outbound flight from Philadelphia. Upon arrival at Heathrow I remember traversing the inter terminal tunnels to find Alitalia to rebook our flight from Heathrow to Rome and Rome back to Philadelp as well as rebooking our hotels.

After a few days sightseeing in London we headed back to Heathrow to fly to Rome for part two of our honeymoon. While waiting in the terminal for our flight to Rome, I spotted Sir Robert Morley puffing n a cigar between takes of one of his “We take more care of you.” British Airways commercials. He very graciously autographed our BA ticket jacket.

Last edited by NJTravlr; Jun 12, 2018 at 1:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by NJTravlr
In 1979 I took my first BA flight to London from Philadelphia as part of my honeymoon trip. My new bride and I .......

Ate you still married to her?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
1959 BEA LHR to VCE
1963 BOAC LHR to Idelwild (as JFK then was). on a B707 with the wonderful 1st class lounge area up front. Sadly we were travelling in the back, and in those days there was no middle.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
My first BA memory was in 2004. Flying LHR-TLV my parents got me a shiny BA model plane. 45 minutes into the flight we hit turbelance. During turbelance the nosewheel of my model plane broke off and I ended up crying till disembarkation.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:04 am

My first memory of BA is actually more about FlyerTalk. When I had to take my first SFO-LHR Club World flight about 15 years ago, I did a internet search on the best seats and clicked on a link from FlyerTalk.com. After finding what I need, I started reading other threads in the forum as well. Many threads had very funny comments and needless to say I got hooked, joined FlyerTalk and since then reading BA forum everyday, even though I travel more AA now. BA forum is not as witty anymore, but it is as informative as ever. Based on what I read I choose 64A, which I pretty much got most of the times and really enjoyed flat bed for the first time, inspite of lousy IFE and food.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
1977 at the age of 3 flying Tehran - Kuwait - London so my dear mum could give birth to my little (now not so little) brother. Must have been in Y because I went to the loo at the back of the plane and when I had finished a lovely stewardess in the back galley asked me if I was ok and needed anything. Being 3, I asked for some biscuits. Got back to my seat next to mum and within a few minutes a plate of custard cremes/nice/bourbons were delivered and mum was not impressed! I still remember looking out of the window at the desert and the poc marked older gent near us (in my minds eye, some form of agent or spy) smiling at me.

I’ve been addicted to flying ever since! (to be clear, not for the smiling men!)

As my dad brought over an old suitcase of stuff recently I also found my junior jet club book with this flight in and the captains signature! Magic.

ETA: when I started school in the Uk in 1980 I was one of only two people in the whole school who had flown. Different days!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
My first BA (BOAC) flight was my third ever flight and also my third transatlantic flight. It was in August 1969, when I went to Toronto to experiment with life in Canada. I intended my experiment should last 2 years; I am still living in Canada, so I guess the experiment was successful. My 2 previous flights had been on student charter flights, operated by Aer Lingus between MAN and JFK.

As to the BOAC flight itself, I left from my parents house in Liverpool and since all flights MAN-YYZ were fully booked I flew from LPL to LHR on Cambrian Airways (a Viscount I think) to LHR – something that cannot now be done. The flight touched down (as scheduled) in CEG where a few additional passengers boarded. Must be a candidate for the shortest flown segment.

Upon arrival at LHR, my first ever visit there, I did not realize that there were separate terminals and was surprised to find that I had to take myself across the airport to a quite different building for my flight to YYZ.

The flight to YYZ was on a Boeing 707. We stopped first at PIK, and I recall being disappointed by the 3 course meal that was served on the first short leg. It featured a cold main dish, and in my naiveté I thought that would be the only meal. Lunch, after PIK, was some excellent lamb cutlets (funny what one remembers) and various other things. A very fine lunch and in Economy -- another thing that doesn’t happen much nowadays. I had to pay for my drinks – but that was pretty well universal at the time.

Arrival in YYZ was the old T1, the only terminal there at the time, which I used many times thereafter. Until AC became my carrier of choice, and moved to what was then the new T2 at YYZ -- now also a thing of the past.

I have flown BA only intermittently since then – most recently KEF-LHR-CDG in BIZ in early April this year. Not quite the same experience.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
LHR - TXL November 1989, those with an eye for dates and history will notice that this was when the wall opened up and I had to see it for myself as it was happening, was simply amazing to be there while all the infrastructure was in place but none of the restrictions.

Not just my first BA flight, but also one of my most memorable trips ever and I've had a few to be fair.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
May 2001 NCL - LHR to connect to IAD on United. I remember thinking how good the legroom was (we must have been nearer the front in the old converter seats) as I had only flown charter flights previously. I was also most impressed with the All Day Deli Bag (remember those??).

However, my love for BA really began that Christmas, when I flew home from university via ORD to LHR. It was on a 777 featuring the then groundbreaking New Club World beds and I remember walking through the cabin on my way back to WT thinking "I have got to find a way to fly up front". Thankfully a few short years later I discovered FT and then the "big Executive Club changes" of July 2003 started allowing for UuA (MFU as it was back then) and my dream became a reality...
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by BA1321; Jun 13, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
My first BA experience was not BA’s finest moment and it was several years before I gave them another chance. I’ve told the story in detail before so I won’t repeat it again, but had that first BA experience not been so poor I would already be GfL.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
My first BA flight was back in 1987 on a old bac 1-11.

I had moved to England in 86, but my girlfriend at the time was still back up in Scotland at Strathclyde Uni so I would travel back up on a regular basis. I originally started taking the train, but those 6 hr trips were becoming a pain, so on one particular visit I took the train up and opted to head back south via air. Money was tight, so I opted to fly standby on the Sunday. It became obvious that there were more passengers than seats, so it was no surprise that a bunch of us didn't get on the flight. This was during the shuttle days, so BA promptly dusted off a bac 1-11 that was at the airport and operated a completely new flight for the remaining passengers.

Jeez, that thing was loud! I did travel up a few weeks later and got on standby on my first ever 757. Compared to the 1-11, the take off felt almost vertical! I did switch to British Midland shortly after that though as I could book a confirmed ticket for not much more than what it cost to go standby on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.