Search

First memory of BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Being from Australia my first memory of BA is the iconic flower duet advertisement.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:06 pm

My first flights were with KLM in the summer of 1960, on a charter from Heathrow to Idlewild (JFK was still a US Senator) in a Super Constellation and back in a DC7C. I repeated the trip the next year. The cast per head both years was £80 return. For us students, the best thing was that the beer was free!

My next trip was in 1963 or thereabouts with a carrier possibly later absorbed into BA, on a Britannia from Newcastle to Paris, Le Bourget I think. It was a pretty bumpy ride, and at one point the plane seemed to move about two feet sideways! The return was less memorable, to the extent that I can remember nothing about it.

My first definite BA predecessor flight was with BEA from London to Zurich, also in the mid 1960s. It should have been to Geneva, where I had a job interview. My ticket was organised by the prospective employer through a travel agent. The TA's instructions gave a latest check-in time which could be read as applying to the West London Air Terminal, when in fact it was the time for Heathrow. I was bunking off a course (IBM System/360 Assembler) to go to the interview, so I cut things fairly fine for the assumed check-in time so was well beyond any reasonable time to get to Heathrow for the flight. However it might just be possible. The BEA check-in man recognised the ambiguity in the instructions I had been given. He put me in a taxi, gave the driver a handful of pound notes, and off we went at speed to Heathrow, but not quite fast enough to catch my flight. BEA were still sympathetic, and as there were no more flights to Geneva that night, put me on their flight to Zurich, with a connection back to Geneva on Swissair, on a Convair 990 Coronado.

Quite an adventure, but I didn't get the job.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My first BA flight was BA216 IAD-LHR on 21 August 1986. The outward flight was TWA into PHL - with an aircraft hanger as the international terminal and a couple of office desks inside as the immigration desks - how things have changed! Total cost (TWA out/BA rtn) was a mere £159. I arrived at IAD a tad early, but they checked me in at the Concorde desk - even though I was a mere mortal a travelling in WT. The notable thing about the flight was a proper cup of tea, which after a couple of weeks of American 'tea', was very much appreciated!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Back in grade school, our eighth grade class trip was to London on BA and then to Paris. There were about 40 of us in the back of a 777 with about six chaperones who probably consumed most of the minis and vinos by the time we were over Halifax. This was back when the 777 first entered service. Having only flown with UA overseas up until that point, BA seemed almost "exotic". I still recall the flights fondly, even if they were economy, excuse me World Traveler
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:20 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
My first BA flight was in 1989 on a BAe ATP GLA-BFS. This was also my first ever flight and was slightly disappointed when we got to the gate and saw the aircraft because it was such a small plane and it had fans where the engines should have been . However, my disappointment was soon replaced when we started our take off run down the runway as you could feel the power behind the engines before lifting off the ground into the cloudy and dull sky.

The most memorable moment being when we came through the clouds and all that was to be seen for miles around was clear blue sky above and a carpet of fluffy, even, white cloud below. For a first time flyer, the view was beyond amazing.

The flight was short and service was a drink and bag of nuts, the bag being BA branded with the old Landor branding.

Although breaching the clouds was the most memorable, the take off run and landing were exciting too and when we disembarked, I couldn’t wait for my one month holiday to finish to get back on a plane again to go home so that I could experience the excitement again.

I wish I could return return to those days when it comes to flying because now, nearly 30 years later, flying now feels so much like a chore going badly wrong at times.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Getting my Junior Jet Club badge the first time I flew with them. London to Rome, if I remember correctly, circa 1980. I visited the cockpit, was sat in the first row and because I was UM, I got my own hostie for the duration.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: BA GfL
A slightly different perspective:

My grandfather, along with my grandmother and aunt, were living and working in Zanzibar. In January 1963 there was a revolution, where local tribes rose up against the Arab-dominated government. My grandmother and aunt managed to leave, but my grandfather, being a British government employee, was detained for a while under house arrest.

He and others were subsequently released and expelled. I cant recall the actual date, but I remember going to Aberdeen Dyce airport (the old terminal on the East-side) and waiting for the BEA Viscount from Heathrow. I remember looking out of the terminal windows and seeing him come down the aircraft steps. BEA brought my beloved grandpa home!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
My first BA flight was Johannesburg-Nairobi-Zurich-London on G-BDXA, a B 747-200, in 1978. The return flight was more direct, skipping the Zurich stop, on sister plane, G-BDXE.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
For me it was 1961 when I flew on a BOAC 707 to ROM stopping in FRA. I think the flight was eventually going all the way to Australia. I remember a hand written sheet of paper with a map of the route being passed back from the front....... I would have to look in my JJC book for the registration.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
My first BA memory is of holding in a stack, for a seemingly interminable period of time. I even started wondering whether the aircraft might run out of fuel.

Date: 4 August 1974
Aircraft: G-ARRA (B707-436)

By this time, British Airways had been formed and the aircraft was operated by the (then ) new airline. In those still-highly regulated days, the ticket had been sold by "British Overseas Air Charter" on one of those bogus charter arrangements that were then in vogue as a way to sell discounted tickets.

I may have flown on a BOAC flight before then but I don't have any specific memory of it. One day, I will have to find out whether or not I did.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:58 am

After assorted RAF flights while I was in the ATC at school my first airline flight was a BEA Dakota Glasgow-Edinburgh in 1961,a whole 20 minutes.
The following year I graduated to a BOAC Britannia from Prestwick to Heathrow and a 707 from Idlewild to Prestwick.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Oh the trauma that this thread has resurrected.............

My first flight with BA was from MAN to LHR to JNB when we were emigrating to South Africa on 1st September 1982. Lots of family and friends had come to see us off, after many hugs, good wishes and fond farewells the sight of seeing my dad cry for the first time ever in my 22 years of life was too much for me. I trudged through to the gate with a very heavy heart, a pocket full of soaking tissues and wondering "what the heck have I done"? We walked out to the plane across the tarmac, me with my little Union Flag waving in the direction of the terminal, tears streaming down my face. Hubby giving my hand a squeeze of support and ending up with soggy tissue stuck to his fingers. I sobbed all the way to Heathrow, goodness knows what the other passengers thought.

Having got myself together for the flight to JNB, I settled into my seat ready for the long flight to our new life and all the adventures that it might bring. Getting the headphones out and finding the music channel I sat back, hoping to hear something uplifting but to my dispair the first song which came on was "Hurry Home" by Wave Length. Cue more sobbing and snivelling. To this day if I hear that song all I can see is my poor old Dads tears as he said goodbye to me at Manchester.
About 6 weeks later we received a letter from my mum and dad along with photographs of us walking out to the plane, every single sobbing flag waving step! And the plane taking off...........wheres the tissues?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: UA, BA
Not a particularly exciting one, but a short flight SOU-EDI. On a jet, not the flybe Dash-8s of today. First time on a flight, going to an interview - and a ticket that cost twice as much in 1997 than is does in 2018. I just remember the authoritative glamour of BA (if you know what I mean), e.g. "I apologise that the ramp is not ready for our arrival, I've been giving them a piece of my mind and we should be disembarking shortly". eeek - makes me shudder today but seemed normal back then.

Now I live in Southampton again, having been living in many other places since then and 1Million++ miles, and SOU airport is still my favourite for its speed and convenience (eg sometimes getting home from a flight before the flight's scheduled arrival time).
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:06 am

I think it was 2002 first flight with BA, LHR/BKK with in a few minutes after takeoff from LHR section of the cabin celling fell down exposing wiring and insulation.I was wondering what else might fall off we still had nearly 11hours of the flight left.Luckily nothing else happened I flew back to LHR with BA but that was my last flight with them i use another airline with better glue.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Parents split up when I was a toddler and dad moved to LA. So loads of UM flights for myself and younger brother, from earlier than I can remember. But to accurately answer the OP's question, as these flights were on a huge variety of carriers (BA / TWA / PanAm / Air India / NWA etc etc) the first truly specific BA memory of a flight I have was a few years later and actually didn't involve wings or a runway at all - it was a flight back from the Scilly Isles in one of these. Still...at least it was Boeing ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.