Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Wetlease QR A330 for Kuwait, Delhi & Muscat flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Wetlease QR A330 for Kuwait, Delhi & Muscat flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If you were to take the Avios, I would think you would certainly still be entitled to EU261?
What has happened in previous cases is that it's the gesture plus the Involuntary Fare Refund that BA offers without demure. The problem would be if the Involuntary Fare Refund would be a lot lower than the EC261 reimbursement calculation, since that requires some pushing to get BA to offer exactly that. In some cases BA's calculation is more than EC261, or perhaps close enough not to be worth arguing over. But if EC261 reimbursement was considerably more generous then it could require some effort to extra any delta. The other factor is that in the past the Refund takes weeks to be completed, and there's very little breakdown provided, so many passengers just accept what is offered. The cases I've seen before have tended to be CE to ET downgrades due to equipment changes, and there the Refund is generally a fair bit higher than the EC261 reimbursement.
Wozza2404 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not exactly. The caselaw in this situation is the Mennens v Emirates, so among other things my reading is that the carrier surcharge (buried in the £425 figure) would also be refunded at 75%, which is £203.

On a £543 WTP fare (the cheapest to MCT) you would be looking at a refund of about £318, making a net fare of £225, assuming a downgrade on both outwards and return. So the 75% headline figure becomes a bit below 60% in realiity. The Involuntary Fare Refund may be a similar figure.

The cheapest WT fare to MCT is £332.
Thanks for the explanation CWS. I think that if he were able to get to MCT, and then potentially "Please offer GGL, Gold, Silver & Bronze members of the Executive Club will a goodwill gesture of 20,000 Avios per affected sector" he might be quite happy with the outcome?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
The compensation offered is stated as being 140k avios per affected sector. My understanding is that a sector is a single flight between A and B. Does this mean that a return flight between, say LHR and DEL would result in compensation of 280k Avios pp as this involves 2 sectors (flights)? If so, this seems to be extremely generous as I’d always assumed the 140k avios compensation applied to the booking and not per sector.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG
Just found out this has impacted my BA142 on 23rd June. I am booked to go in J and had pre-selected seat but now in MMB it shows the QR cabin but does not allow me to select a seat.

my corporate travel agent says that seats are only available for selection at check-in but this leaves me a bit worried i will be down graded to economy. Not sure if anyone else has same issue. I will update when I hear more
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Got two seats in row 1 in J still....and no they won't entertain a reroute via DOH without a huge cost increase (had to ask)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
What does it mean-I f you are in F or CW and order a KSML you will get a full refund? Is that flight price?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tedcruz
What does it mean-I f you are in F or CW and order a KSML you will get a full refund? Is that flight price?
Yes, but it also means you won't be flying.
shefgab likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, but it also means you won't be flying.
Was looking for a loophole...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by dibbs98
Just found out this has impacted my BA142 on 23rd June. I am booked to go in J and had pre-selected seat but now in MMB it shows the QR cabin but does not allow me to select a seat.
If you are entitled to free seating due to status or fare, then as mentioned in the Advisory you will need to call the contact centre. I'm guessing that BA don't have a full link to the seating module here, so it won't show via BA.com
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by tedcruz
Was looking for a loophole...
The refund would buy you at least 2 meals in Reubens even at their prices. Will that do?
tedcruz likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG
logging in again 10 minutes later it allowed me to select 1C, in the J cabin. hopefully it stays that way
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
I wonder if these flights will be subject to the same overflight restrictions imposed on Qatari flights by certain neighbouring countries? Maybe these will be treated as if they were BA's own.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Some
The main thing I'm reading into the compensation figures here is that BA are somewhat struggling to sell cash F tickets on these routes and are scared they'll lose the few remaining customers willing to pay for F from this switch (which I suppose could also be inferred from, e.g., the fact that you can pick up F to MCT for about £1,500 for most of the year these days). Either that or someone made a typo!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Schwann
They'll probably tell him an economy ticket is more expensive now and thus isn't due any refund.
For the benefit of new readers, BA has done this before. It was not a joke.
KiwiSurfer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:55 pm

Do we actually know what sort of A330s have been leased? I have three reward business class seats booked to MCT in June and if the planes have the dreaded angled seats, I'm frankly not prepared to blast 200,000 airmiles and a 2.4.1 voucher for the privilege of sloping. If that's going to be the case, then I'd rather just pay for economy tickets and save the airmiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.