Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Class action case over fuel surcharge results in Avios distribution (US members only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class action case over fuel surcharge results in Avios distribution (US members only)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:16 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by nsx
Based on only getting one email, it looks as if household redemptions are counted as if the primary household member redeemed them.
My wife and I have a HH account, I got an email. She did not. Funny thing is I'm pretty sure that she is the "Head of Household" going back to when she set the account up a long time ago. I was wondering why she didn't get an email. I guess for whatever reason they chose to send the email to me. Oh, well, I kind of think of it as found Avios however many show up.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

The fees are not fully disclosed. Where on website does BA list the cash co-pay requirements for awards?
You must have been completely shocked when the these charges showed up on your credit card bill. You should sue them.

If only BA had mentioned these charges on its website, perhaps in the Terms & Conditions for the Executive Club:

"15.14. Members will be liable for all taxes and other charges associated with Reward travel on British Airways or a Service Partner airline, including without limitation, airport departure tax, customs fines, immigration fees, airport charges, customer user fees, carrier imposed charges, fuel surcharges, agricultural inspection fees, security and insurance surcharge or other fees or taxes charged by any person or relevant authority or body, including, but not limited to British Airways."
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:54 pm

$105.53 or 12,500 miles. Any thoughts on how to value miles? My BA avios come from amex teansfers. I'm leaning to cash.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
You must have been completely shocked when the these charges showed up on your credit card bill. You should sue them.

If only BA had mentioned these charges on its website, perhaps in the Terms & Conditions for the Executive Club:

"15.14. Members will be liable for all taxes and other charges associated with Reward travel on British Airways or a Service Partner airline, including without limitation, airport departure tax, customs fines, immigration fees, airport charges, customer user fees, carrier imposed charges, fuel surcharges, agricultural inspection fees, security and insurance surcharge or other fees or taxes charged by any person or relevant authority or body, including, but not limited to British Airways."
How is that fully disclosed?

Where is the table of cash co-payment requirements - just stating that there is a fare disguised as a tax is not full disclosure
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Of course, the e-ticket receipt clarifies everthing.

This was an all cash ticket. Somehow the payment total on this receipt did not agree with the credit card charge.

Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by lewisc
$105.53 or 12,500 miles. Any thoughts on how to value miles? My BA avios come from amex teansfers. I'm leaning to cash.
As a comparison I was offered something similar as I did not make very many redemptions during the eligible timeframe. I chose the Avios over $100.

Also I think that OnBusiness bookings are excluded which were the majority of my redemptions during the time frame for the lawsuit. If they were included I probably still would have chosen the Avios as the OnBusiness bookings were mostly given to us by BA as part of a business opportunity grant and it doesn’t feel right to expect that cash back.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:04 pm
BLG

Originally Posted by dylanks

As a comparison I was offered something similar as I did not make very many redemptions during the eligible timeframe. I chose the Avios over $100.

Also I think that OnBusiness bookings are excluded which were the majority of my redemptions during the time frame for the lawsuit. If they were included I probably still would have chosen the Avios as the OnBusiness bookings were mostly given to us by BA as part of a business opportunity grant and it doesn’t feel right to expect that cash back.
All I have received is the email telling me about the class action suit. It sounds like others have received offers. If I have not yet received an email with an offer does that mean I'm not going to get one because I didn't have a redemption that qualified (which I doubt)?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:33 pm

BLG, in the notification email, look for the link for the benefit options page. Click on it.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
12,500 miles or $102. I only had two RT tix (a combined C/F using the Chase 241 cert.) during the period.

Normally I would take cash but i value the avios at >.008 so I lean to taking the miles.

That's about the best settlement I've seen since the Debeers antitrust class action for diamond buyers. ^

For those like me who may need the miles soon, you should note that the payout will not occur until 30 days after the deadline for appeals is exhausted (usually 30 days). So if the settlement is approved at the hearing scheduled for July 27, and assuming no appeal, the earliest you will see the miles is the end of September 2018.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Seems like everyone who should have gotten an email (and posted) did but me. Are two for one redemptions with the certificate that came from the BA card excluded? I had two itineraries for my wife and myself, each with 4 long haul segments, so with 16 YQs, I’d be expecting something back.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread appears to have developed into two overlapping discussions. So for clarity, please focus the discussion here on the settlement

As to the issue of the transparency of taxes/fees/surcharges we pay when we redeem our Avios, please take that particular discussion to a separate thread. Alternatively, ba.com provides a useful starting point. Click on Executive Club > Spending Avios > Learn more about reward flights > Working out the cost.

Your assistance is appreciated

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by skippythelizard
We already get charged double the rate of UK originating redemptions...quite probably to cover this settlement and related expenses.

I'm not a fan of these kind of lawsuits...but as a long time member, I recall at that time, the surcharges were a serious devaluation. (I remember a 2003 IAD-LHR-MRU RT redemption in F that cost $200 at most). I'll be looking closely at the cash option, as I'm probably toward the high end of the range mentioned in the email.

Of course, I'd prefer that the lawsuit was dismissed and the US originating YQ was brought in line with UK YQ going forward. I previously posted details of just how extreme the difference is here: Carrier Surcharges (yes, again) 2.5x higher ex-US
I remember my first BA redemption. Round trip on Concorde for 2 and the fees were $24 each.
nsx and skippythelizard like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Got offer for 20K avios or $14. I didn't have any long haul flights that time - just a couple of RFS flights I think.
Thank you BA!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:29 am
BLG

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
BLG, in the notification email, look for the link for the benefit options page. Click on it.
Steve -- thanks for the info -- missed the link -- so I'm 12,500 or $21.36 -- No brainer -- I'll take the Avios -- Hey, much better than the free drink coupon that WN offered me in a class action suit I landed in there once upon a time!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I have 35,000 Avios or $605. Tough choice actually. I can generally get somewhat more than $605 in value from 35K Avios--BUT I already have 445K Avios in my account and at the rate I use them (maybe 150K/year), that 35K is likely to be devalued before I ever get to it. The "bird in the hand" aspect of taking the cash might win out. Advice/suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.