Wiki Posts
Search

Going for Silver

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
Going for Silver

First of all I'd like to say this is my first post, and I am new to the BA Exec Club and to the art of gaining Tier Points and Avios.

I have had a look at many forums tips and tricks to boost Avios but now im looking to boost my tier points with some help from you guys.

So a little about my travel schedule I am flying on average once per month from Helsinki to Edinburgh Via Heathrow.

I'm Currently sitting with 115 tier points and another 395 pending before my expiry date the 8th of December.

On average I am earning between 50-60 tier points per return Helsinki to Edinburgh via Heathrow.

So obviously I'm 90 TP short from getting silver I have 1 more flight to book for October which could be between 50 & 60 tier points.

So my plan is to book a short flight when I am home for 9 days in September maybe Edinburgh to Paris via London. I don't know if this will give me enough TP to reach Silver.

What advice I am looking for from you guys, well right now I am picking the cheapest flights Helsinki to Edinburgh from the BA website I don't really want to spend much more on flights so is there any tricks I'm missing without spending a fortune on Club Europe.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards

Colnic2011
Old May 26, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The obvious one is to ask at the airport how much it would be to upgrade to Club Europe as HEL-LHR would get 80tps each way. ( as long as you upgrade a BA metal flight). You would probably need to upgrade 2 of these legs to get silver.

The EDI-LHR-CDG would get maybe 40tps in economy but if you stay over a weekend you might get a cheap CE deal which would have 160tps

Regards

TBS
bisonrav and Colnic2011 like this.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank You I will look at this option for Paris. I Will also ask about upgrades each time I fly, Is it possible to score a cheap upgrade or is it a set price?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Colnic2011
Old May 26, 2018, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Colnic2011, it's good to see you here. EDI is my base airport (or one of them) so all the better to see you here.

CE to Helsinki via LHR would give 120 TPs each way, and 80 TPs on the direct AY service. The cost can be greatly mitigated by spending a Saturday night in HEL, or seemingly so - so called nested tickets where you use tickets out of apparent sequence to ensure the return as ticketed covers a Saturday night. Perfectly legal to do this in Europe at least. You can also get CE single ticket from EDI to LGW and LCY for around £110 which will get you 40 TPs - it's not the cheapest way of doing it but it is certainly convenient. Domestic CE does not have a Saturday night rule.

You may want to also look at the stickies and Dashboard. There is one thread in the Dashboard which is the TP Run thread. It's quite a massive resource, you may want to read its wiki and first few posts, then skip to the end and read backwards. Another pair of thread in the Dashboard will tell you about two upgrade channels, AUP (which is semi fixed, £79 from EDI to LON) and POUG (£65 or £69 depending on airport), usually it's cheaper to buy CE in the first instance there.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Assume you know you can earn Tier Points on Finnair flights (and other oneworld carriers) - providing you credit the flights to your BA account (and not to their loyalty programme).
In case the opens up other options for you.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by David-A
Assume you know you can earn Tier Points on Finnair flights (and other oneworld carriers) - providing you credit the flights to your BA account (and not to their loyalty programme).
In case the opens up other options for you.
But you don't get additional TPs beyond what you originally book on Finnair if you upgrade, be careful about that.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Edinburgh Was my base Airport but it is now Helsinki but my wife and Kid Stay in fife so I return as often as I can. I might look at fairs in CE maybe for 1 half of the journey just to push me over the line to collect Silver.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your advice. Also the upgrade looks like a popular theme that I may explore to give me an extra push also.

I will check out the Threads you mentioned as well.

Regards

Colnic2011
Old May 26, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I am aware of this but the TP reward was ridiculous I think the cheapest ticket only gave me 10 TP so I would rather go via London for the extra TP.

Thanks for the heads up though

Colnic2011
Old May 26, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Not sure if there are any good deals at the moment, but if you are looking to book CE then the AY long haul a350 on the LHR-HEL as a codeshare worth a consideration as is infinitely better than a BA a320 and will still net 80 TPs each way. Also allows access to the excellent CX lounge in T3.
Colnic2011 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.