50% cut in frequency on flights to BIO

Old May 24, 18, 8:48 am
bil
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
50% cut in frequency on flights to BIO

Hi,

My heart has just sunk a little after reading that this winter BIO will experience a 50% cut in service. Using the route at least once a month, this move surprises me as the flight is on many occasions almost full but it might be just the days I fly. Moreover, I take it that load is only one of the factors in determining the viability of a route but, surprising, nonetheless. Also, it might have to do with the fact that for a small city like BIO having already flights to two other London airports is enough. Anyway, I just wanted to know your take on this (or further information) and if this move suggests that the route might be at the risk of disappearing.

bil
Old May 24, 18, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Load alone does not mean much at all. PRASM is what matters. If the highest fare is 10x the lowest fare, one could derive the same revenue from the flight with 10% of the passengers paying the highest fare as 10x that paying the lowest fare.

During the last crisis, carriers cut fares to fill aircraft. Now, they cut capacity, e.g. aircraft size + frequency to prevent cannibalizing themselves.
bil likes this.
Old May 24, 18, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
changes are also being discussed here

W18 LHR Schedule Changes

It is possible it will revert to 2 a day next summer.

But yes there a re lots of factors airlines take in to account and that does include loads across a period of time it also includes profit and how much connecting traffic it brings BA in to LHR for onward flights.
bil likes this.
Old May 24, 18, 9:38 am

I have just had a wonderful long weekend in that part of the world. The Saturday morning flight out was full. The Wednesday lunchtime return was about half full I reckon.

I do hope this route doesn't disappear completely.
bil likes this.
Old May 24, 18, 9:43 am

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
I always thought when this route was firstly introduced, it was a slot sitting exercise.
bil likes this.
Old May 24, 18, 9:48 am
bil
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
I always thought when this route was firstly introduced, it was a slot sitting exercise.
I am not sure about that, but I know the Basque Government was pressuring BA to return to Bilbao and was quite involved in the negotiations a couple of years ago
Old May 24, 18, 9:53 am
bil
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fluffymitten View Post
I have just had a wonderful long weekend in that part of the world. The Saturday morning flight out was full. The Wednesday lunchtime return was about half full I reckon.

I do hope this route doesn't disappear completely.
It is a lovely place indeed, especially the food and landscape. So I do hope it too. That's why I asked whether I should take this as a sign of them thinking on removing it... Otherwise, it will have to be Vueling which I assume, if BA stops flying to BIO, will fly again to LHR, not LGW
Old May 24, 18, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Vueling !!

Originally Posted by bil View Post
It is a lovely place indeed, especially the food and landscape. So I do hope it too. That's why I asked whether I should take this as a sign of them thinking on removing it... Otherwise, it will have to be Vueling which I assume, if BA stops flying to BIO, will fly again to LHR, not LGW
Not Vueling....please. Anything but Vueling.
tedcruz, Thomathy and PUCCI GALORE like this.
Old May 24, 18, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If the only IAG-owned choice is Vueling, then fly Easyjet. It's a much nicer airline than Vueling.
bil and rossmacd like this.
Old May 24, 18, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This doesn't surprise me given how cheap some of the Club fares can be during the winter. Lovely place though!
Old May 24, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum, Lufthansa and Virgin(why?)
It means Cruz is at BA for the long run as he won't be returning as often to his home town...
bil likes this.

Last edited by tedcruz; May 24, 18 at 3:33 pm
Old May 24, 18, 3:39 pm
bil
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
If the only IAG-owned choice is Vueling, then fly Easyjet. It's a much nicer airline than Vueling.
What is it that is so much better in Easyjet? Or so bad in Vueling?
Old May 24, 18, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
aw thats a bummer to hear! my partner is based there for a few years so enjoyed the flexibility of the 2x daily service. more planning ahead i suppose to time it right!
Old May 24, 18, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by bil View Post
What is it that is so much better in Easyjet? Or so bad in Vueling?
Reliability for one - U2 is streets ahead. This is the main reason - although in fairness, VY has improved over the last 2 years but still has a long way to go.
Old May 25, 18, 1:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Only doing BIO twice, but looking forward to a new visit.

But, this being FT, my trips were LHR-MAD-BIO r/t as per suggestions here. If IB keeps MAD-BIO running as before, the Basque area, and indeed BIO itself can still be a weekend or longer escape.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: