Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Business Class on Domestic Connection T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 11:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi. I am flying WTP from YYC via LHR connecting to NCL. When I booked my ticket with BA online I was not given the option for anything other than ET class on the LHR to NCL leg. I wasn't fussed at the time as I had a short layover and the connecting flight is a very short hop. However BA have since cancelled my original connecting flight and now I face a 5 hour layover for the replacement flight with 2 tired children in tow. So now I would like to upgrade my ET ticket to business and use the lounge at LHR however my online booking will not allow this unless I upgrade my first leg to CW. Is this a BA policy to keep the riff raff out of the lounges or can I try and upgrade at the airport when we check in? I have no status with BA.

Thanks.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
You can pay to go in another lounge
Old May 25, 2018, 12:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Plaza Premium and Apire are a good alternative, better than upgrading to CE for the sake of using a lounge
Old May 25, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks.for the replies. The paid lounges seem just as pricey though and limit time allowed in... I just wondered why BA don't seem to let me book a business flight, is this intentional or just an IT thing?
Old May 25, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Schnitzel Von Krumm
Thanks.for the replies. The paid lounges seem just as pricey though and limit time allowed in... I just wondered why BA don't seem to let me book a business flight, is this intentional or just an IT thing?
Mixed class tickets are tricky to get. Maybe with a travel agent or on the phone you could get it done, but I can't be sure of that
Old May 25, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I just wondered why BA don't seem to let me book a business flight, is this intentional or just an IT thing?
Basically your WTP fare is calculated as being YYC-NCL, not YYC-LHR plus LHR-NCL. It can be hard/next to impossible to pick apart and recalculate a through fare so that the lesser flight is in a higher cabin to the most significant flight, which is the longer one.

BA have intentionally set the onward cabin for WTP to be WT; anything outside of this won't currently compute or combine.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Can't OP get an AUP? Though I appreciate that is leaving it to chance and availability
Old May 25, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
Hi. I am flying WTP from YYC via LHR connecting to NCL. When I booked my ticket with BA online I was not given the option for anything other than ET class on the LHR to NCL leg. I wasn't fussed at the time as I had a short layover and the connecting flight is a very short hop. However BA have since cancelled my original connecting flight and now I face a 5 hour layover for the replacement flight with 2 tired children in tow. So now I would like to upgrade my ET ticket to business and use the lounge at LHR however my online booking will not allow this unless I upgrade my first leg to CW. Is this a BA policy to keep the riff raff out of the lounges or can I try and upgrade at the airport when we check in? I have no status with BA.

Thanks.
As mentioned above your best bet is an AUP on the day, you could do this in the transfers area in T5 (to the right of the boarding pass scanning area to go back up to security, where there is loads of desks) or possibly after security at Customer Services on the ground floor. You'll see an islands style of desks I believe it's called customer service south.

Or ring up your ticket issuer and do it by the phone to be certain as they have more control over single elements of the booking.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kosy91
Can't OP get an AUP? Though I appreciate that is leaving it to chance and availability
Indeed this is possible, for £65 to £79 per adult passenger, subject to availability and can't be purchased until arrival into LHR. So I'd have thought the paid for lounges would be cheaper

Welcome to Flyertalk Schnitzel Von Krumm, welcome to the the BA Board, and you will find the Forum Dashboard useful here. The Airport Upgrade thread explains AUPs. I wonder if the Von Krumm puppies would be better off with a day room at a hotel, or going to Windsor / South Kensington for an hour or two to fill up the time.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Hi ...
And may I add my welcome to you too Schnitzel Von Krumm. Your Flyertalk name brings back some very happy memories of bedtime reading with our kids many years ago. Perhaps organize a side trip to Donaldson's Dairy on the layover? Hope the trip goes well and we hope to see more of your here.
squawk likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I will explore all of these

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.