Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do the British Royal Family still use BA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
I gather the King and Princess of Lichtenstein use a small charter firm based near Bristol.
Black dog!
gliderpilot and S_W_S like this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
When HM travelled on a wide bodied BA aircraft it was always refitted with the Royal Kit, this was was the same for HRH The Prince of Wales when he was on State visits.
I have photos of the cabin but will not be posting them here, I seem to remember seeing some pictures online.
Everything is replaced and it looks a good as a 10 year old Swiss/Lufthansa aircraft.
No some seats were left in place, I have been on PM flights where just the beds from the kit were fitted.
Thanks for the insight CIHY. Quite understand your unwillingness to post photographs. Are you able to describe the rough set-up? Was always fascinated when I read that a special cabin was fitted.

How did/do BA staff Royal and PM flights? Volunteers? Hand-picked crew?
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I won’t tell you anything about how they travelled but the crew were hand picked and it was seen as the pinnacle of your career.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I won’t tell you anything about how they travelled but the crew were hand picked and it was seen as the pinnacle of your career.
Oh right Royal Servers haha
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not to go OT, but there is no King of Liechtenstein, as it is a principality (so a prince), more properly a Fürstentum.
I believe a reference to https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lmcxj
gliderpilot, krispy84 and S_W_S like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
are there any pictures of what it looked like (or for other Royal flights)? Had a quick google there isn’t much out there.
very few but there were two ingle beds, dressing areas a 4 seat dining table and a seatee. It was functional and comfortable but not Middle East bling

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Did she get her own lavatory, I wonder, and unchanged?
there was a special toilet seat.

Originally Posted by Genius1
Interesting! Did it take up the entire First cabin? That's no mean feat to disassemble the cabin and reassemble it again.
it took up more than that and the aircraft was out of action for several days before and after.

The ANX flight back from NZ was LAX FRA and full of Germans who knew nothing of their illustrious passenger until it diverted into Heathrow and stopped at the royal suite!

I think the new Voyager livery is tacky beyond believe, whoever passed that should be sacked.
I am not convinced the flag isn’t upside down in a sign of distress which frankly sums the country up
Genius1 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just stumbled across an article published today on The Points Guy. The article is titled ‘How does the Royal Family fly?’ I’m sure these blogs just feed off places like Flyertalk and regurgitate information.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by binman
very few but there were two ingle beds, dressing areas a 4 seat dining table and a seatee. It was functional and comfortable but not Middle East bling
Really interesting! Always thought they just stuck with the regular cabin - suspect William and Kate would do so now..
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:05 pm

I read that 2x 777-236ER's in the BA fleet are configured with special flooring anchoring points in the A zone that are compatible with the Royal Suite equipment. YMMO and YMMP are the 2 aircraft in question.

The BA Royal Suite comprises 2 full size single beds, one fitted each side of the F Class cabin, a polished oak table in the centre of the cabin with two chairs forward and two chairs aft of the table. In addition there's a curtained changing area at the rear of the cabin. Usually for a Royal Flight the rear seats of the Y Class cabin are also removed and used as a storage area for those items required during the journey. This will include a hanging area for clothes as Her Majesty will not disembark in the same clothes she boarded the aircraft.

Previous longhaul BA aircraft utilised for Royal charter include the L1011-500 TriStar, L1011-200 TriStar and Boeing 767-336ER.
Genius1 and londonba2014 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t remember the -500 ever being used, as far as I can remember she always used G-BHBR except once when you used a short haul Tristar for a state visit to Portugal.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
.....Her Majesty will not disembark in the same clothes she boarded the aircraft.
An affectation I think we can all sympathise with.
1Aturnleft, LCSinTexas and Pelu like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:45 pm

I don’t remember the -500 ever being used, as far as I can remember she always used G-BHBR except once when you used a short haul Tristar for a state visit to Portugal.
According to some knowledgeable sole on airliners.net...
I'm completely unworthy to take credit for this:

In 1983 the Queen and Prince Philip were flown on a State Visit to Kenya, Bangladesh and India and to the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in New Delhi on a BA L-1011 TriStar 500 (G-BFCD).

This was notable as the homeward DEL-LHR flight was the last BA revenue earning flight by the L-1011 500.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
An affectation I think we can all sympathise with.
Haha I can't quite envisage her and Philip in matching ill fitting branded F PJ sets somehow..... with the gusset hanging somewhere near the knees 🤮

Years ago one of my training managers in a previous life used to fly for BCAL and recited to me the story of having Princess Anne aboard one of her DC10 flights from HKG-LGW (F cabin as a revenue passenger accompanied by her lady in waiting). How she was dressed to the nines upon boarding and gave the wave from the top of the steps. As soon as the doors were closed she was off to the washroom, took off all her make-up and her hair down, changed into a pink tracksuit and remained that way for the rest of the flight until before landing in Gatwick when she changed into another power suit of the era, reapplied make-up, hair re-bunned and jagged straight from South Terminal air-brige upon arrival.
paulieuk, Genius1 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to some knowledgeable sole on airliners.net...
I'm completely unworthy to take credit for this:

In 1983 the Queen and Prince Philip were flown on a State Visit to Kenya, Bangladesh and India and to the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in New Delhi on a BA L-1011 TriStar 500 (G-BFCD).

This was notable as the homeward DEL-LHR flight was the last BA revenue earning flight by the L-1011 500.
You probably correct, that was before my time.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:46 am

I read that 2x 777-236ER's in the BA fleet are configured with special flooring anchoring points in the A zone that are compatible with the Royal Suite equipment. YMMO and YMMP are the 2 aircraft in question.

The BA Royal Suite comprises 2 full size single beds, one fitted each side of the F Class cabin, a polished oak table in the centre of the cabin with two chairs forward and two chairs aft of the table. In addition there's a curtained changing area at the rear of the cabin. Usually for a Royal Flight the rear seats of the Y Class cabin are also removed and used as a storage area for those items required during the journey. This will include a hanging area for clothes as Her Majesty will not disembark in the same clothes she boarded the aircraft.

Previous longhaul BA aircraft utilised for Royal charter include the L1011-500 TriStar, L1011-200 TriStar and Boeing 767-336ER.
The curtain brought some memories. A few years ago I was working in Line Maintenance and we had a monthly newsletter. One of our Overseas Engineers (OSE) was on a Royal flight as the resident flying spanner when the Queen wished to have a change of clothes. At that moment, though, the curtain snapped or got snagged or something like that. Enter the OSE who, with a truly MacGyver solution, saved the curtain. Our boss even got a thank-you note from somebody in the royal entourage; the article ended with said engineer's availability for uniform trims and other modifications to suits, shirts and any item of upholstery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.