Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancellation 2 weeks and 1 day before flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,

Hi all, I was checking my seats and noticed that the return flight of a trip I am leaving for on Thursday has been cancelled. The return in 2 weeks and 1 day away. I now have a 10 hour layover with a child after a long haul. Any ideas?........I haven't actually been notified, just noticed on MMB

Cant get through on Gold line or You FIRST

EdIt ROUTE: HKG_LHR; LGW_JER (cancelled leg)
Old May 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by brithk
Hi all, I was checking my seats and noticed that the return flight of a trip I am leaving for on Thursday has been cancelled. The return in 2 weeks and 1 day away. I now have a 10 hour layover with a child after a long haul. Any ideas?
Are you prepared to tell us the route, flight and date? Otherwise, we'll all just be guessing or generalising about what might be a good idea.

But FWIW, here's a general piece of advice: get on to ExpertFlyer or ITA Matrix and try to find some alternative flights/routings that might work for you, to see whether or not there's anything appealing. That might provide some framework to your discussions with BA when you get through.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's a bit difficult to advise without just a bit more information (such as routes and timings). I would guess it's either a 787 issue, or perhaps Titan/ Eastern, in which case there are other threads here about what people have done about that.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Apols. Added in route, is LGW_JER cancellation after a flight from HKG
Old May 20, 2018, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Are you prepared to tell us the route, flight and date? Otherwise, we'll all just be guessing or generalising about what might be a good idea.

But FWIW, here's a general piece of advice: get on to ExpertFlyer or ITA Matrix and try to find some alternative flights/routings that might work for you, to see whether or not there's anything appealing. That might provide some framework to your discussions with BA when you get through.
sorry.
HKG-LHR, LGW-JER

It appears the morning flight to JER has gone for that day. so the next seats are on the 1550.........
I am also guessing 261 doesn't apply as its 2 weeks 1 day from the return; even though the outbound is 3 days away....
Old May 20, 2018, 3:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the route. I'm going to guess that the date involved is 4 June 2018, in which case perhaps request a move to BA32, which gets in at 04:50 and that gives a reasonable 08:00 departure from LGW for JER. If YouFirst isn't answering within say 5 minutes, leave it an hour and try again, you normally won't be on hold for vast lengths of time.

Yes EC261 Article 7 compensation doesn't apply, but all of EC261 still will apply, plus BA's commercial policy. One option is to cancel the LGW-JER leg, get a small refund for that, and it will probably cover the easyJet service.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for the route. I'm going to guess that the date involved is 4 June 2018, in which case perhaps request a move to BA32, which gets in at 04:50 and that gives a reasonable 08:00 departure from LGW for JER. If YouFirst isn't answering within say 5 minutes, leave it an hour and try again, you normally won't be on hold for vast lengths of time.
Yes departure is from HKG to LHR on 3rd June. There seems to be no flight in the morning at all.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Hi all, I was checking my seats and noticed that the return flight of a trip I am leaving for on Thursday has been cancelled. The return in 2 weeks and 1 day away. I now have a 10 hour layover with a child after a long haul. Any ideas?........I haven't actually been notified, just noticed on MMB

Cant get through on Gold line or You FIRST

EdIt ROUTE: HKG_LHR; LGW_JER (cancelled leg)
dont contact BA until its less than 2 weeks (if they still havent given you notice) - if its only delaying contact by 24-48 hours and potentially puts you in EC261 compensation territory then may as well keep optionality!
Old May 20, 2018, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
dont contact BA until its less than 2 weeks (if they havent given you notice) - if its only delaying contact by 24-48 hours and potentially puts you in EC261 compensation territory then may as well keep optionality!
Legally suspect this at this stage since the OP has notified themselves about this. Moreover for 2 weeks BA is still able to put a 4 hour delay on the original timing.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:54 am

Yes departure is from HKG to LHR on 3rd June. There seems to be no flight in the morning at all.
OK, well it does help to give the relevant information to get relevant advice. In which case BA28 and BA2772 will give a 6 hour 30 minute connection, and you need 3 hours for Minimum Connection Time. That doesn't sound too bad and depending on your original schedule you may not have been able to get Article 7 anyway. But again I can only guess.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:04 am

OK, well it does help to give the relevant information to get relevant advice. In which case BA28 and BA2772 will give a 6 hour 30 minute connection, and you need 3 hours for Minimum Connection Time. That doesn't sound too bad and depending on your original schedule you may not have been able to get Article 7 anyway. But again I can only guess.
I think OP is departing HKG on the 3rd, landing on the 4th. BA2772 is not showing in the schedule showing as sold out for the 4th so the first BA available flight to JER is the one OP has been auto-rebooked onto, which is the BA2774 at 15.50 with 10h+ connection.

The easyJet from LGW or Flybe (Blue Islands) from LCY seem to be the only morning options. Wonder if BA might allow rebook onto the LCY service? Its bookable as an interline ticket.
smuDC-10 likes this.

Last edited by Ldnn1; May 20, 2018 at 4:15 am
Old May 20, 2018, 4:05 am
Original Poster

BA2772 is full. They have put us on the 15:50
Old May 20, 2018, 4:21 am

BA2772 is full. They have put us on the 15:50
You could try to ask to put you on BA2772 as a waitlisted passenger (I suspect they won't do that normally, but the kid may help there). Otherwise take the partial refund and go via LCY or easyJet. Or lateral thinking here, go via BHX or SOU. SOU can be quite easy since you can take the NEX to Woking and then the train to the airport building.

[I notice this morning's BA service could not land, presumably due to fog, and was therefore cancelled, so best laid plans and all that...]
Old May 20, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
HA!! Just finished unravelling a related JER-LGW for 4 June!! BA have clearly created a large hole in the rotations on that day.

Originally on 2771 @ 0950, which was then silently cancelled by BA (just noticed the red in MMB). Rebooked onto 2767 @ 0705 ... yeuch. That would also mean spending most of the day at LHR waiting for the 824 to DUB @ 1735!

Constructive bleating on the Gold Line an hour or so ago (a bit slow to answer, but not awful) led to a free* change of the LHR-DUB to the 836 @ 1305.

WHY don't BA reliably email major changes/cancellations? For this trip (onward to PHX) I've had FOUR emails about BA and AA schedule/callsign changes ... but nothing for this one. No text message either.

* My thanks to a very helpful Agent! He did note that if we changed again, they would have to apply the T&C

Last edited by T8191; May 20, 2018 at 7:20 am
Old May 21, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

To update all ont his - I just moved everything forward 24 hours and hope that fog doesnt nix that!!

BA had no info to why they have taken that flight off, but I imagine it will be a pain for a few people connecting....

PS still had no notification....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.