Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher changing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher changing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018 | 8:51 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by Bad Company
Theres an update on this on financialthreesixfive . Com

I tried to post a link but it seems that as a newbie to this forum Im not allowed to post a url.
seems a copy of the Headforpoints articke a couple of weeks back
Old Jul 3, 2018 | 1:41 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by FlyerGill
BA1 via Avios.com is 50,000 avios + 371.72 pp
Using a voucher is 26,000 avios + 371.72 pp

Why the extra 1,000 avios?
No extra 1000. The Lloyds voucher isnt a 2-for-1, it gets you business for the price of premium economy. PE on the LONNYC route is 26,000 avios off-peak.
argonath likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018 | 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Theres an update on this on financialthreesixfive . Com

I tried to post a link but it seems that as a newbie to this forum Im not allowed to post a url.
That is a spam site which cuts and pastes articles from elsewhere, word for word. Hopefully you are not involved with it.
Old Jul 3, 2018 | 8:00 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton
Originally Posted by Raffles
That is a spam site which cuts and pastes articles from elsewhere, word for word. Hopefully you are not involved with it.

Thanks. No Im not involved in it I just found the information online.
Old Jul 23, 2018 | 8:51 am
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by callum9999
It was my understanding that you don't book with BA via phone, you call Avios customer services and book with them.

How much longer they'll exist I don't know - but perhaps they'll retain a small team that will deal with AerClub and/or Flybe that will be able to book them?
So actually I have called them today, and the gentleman apologised for being a bit slow and said "We have only started to take Avios calls recently and still getting used to things".

So the question remains whether the BA call centre will honour the validity of this voucher as the booking window only or will they insist for the flights to take place before the expiry date.
Old Jul 23, 2018 | 9:07 am
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
So actually I have called them today, and the gentleman apologised for being a bit slow and said "We have only started to take Avios calls recently and still getting used to things".

So the question remains whether the BA call centre will honour the validity of this voucher as the booking window only or will they insist for the flights to take place before the expiry date.
What do the T&Cs say?
Old Jul 26, 2018 | 3:41 pm

I'm two weeks past my anniversary date and ready to spend 7000 over the next couple of months - do you think it's still worth it? Want to avoid getting to 5000 and the T&C's changing or the voucher not being available anymore...
Old Jul 26, 2018 | 6:08 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by just_starting
I'm two weeks past my anniversary date and ready to spend 7000 over the next couple of months - do you think it's still worth it? Want to avoid getting to 5000 and the T&C's changing or the voucher not being available anymore...
I was recently charged FX fee's on the card (as were others it seems on HfP). The agent fixed it and said it is something they're looking at in the future, but I will get 30 days notice before any changes.

So I guess it depends on a) where the spend is going - on the Amex or the MasterCard? If on the Amex then the earning rate is good. Nothing lost. Otherwise, perhaps look elsewhere? The IHG can be quite good value (and the Hilton if you have that too!).

Either way, you'll have 30 days notice and I can't see them doing anything over the summer holidays when the card is mostly used. If I were a betting man, a changeover in September would be where I'd place my stock!

But then again.... this is Lloyds where a passport and driving licence are not enough to have a block on your account lifted!
Old Jul 27, 2018 | 10:31 am

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
I was recently charged FX fee's on the card (as were others it seems on HfP). The agent fixed it and said it is something they're looking at in the future, but I will get 30 days notice before any changes.

So I guess it depends on a) where the spend is going - on the Amex or the MasterCard? If on the Amex then the earning rate is good. Nothing lost. Otherwise, perhaps look elsewhere? The IHG can be quite good value (and the Hilton if you have that too!).

Either way, you'll have 30 days notice and I can't see them doing anything over the summer holidays when the card is mostly used. If I were a betting man, a changeover in September would be where I'd place my stock!

But then again.... this is Lloyds where a passport and driving licence are not enough to have a block on your account lifted!
I'm talking Curve spend, so MasterCard... The alternative being HSBC Premier where I'd get 1 Avios/. Bit of a gamble then... Are we even sure the upgrade voucher still exists? I don't think they even charged me an annual fee anymore...
Old Aug 14, 2018 | 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
I first applied for the card in Oct 2017 and it came with a 09/21 expiry date.

UK Amex has decided to stop allowing other parties to issue Amex cards so at some point the Amex will go. The Mastercard may remain but it's not worth keeping at 0.25 Avios per .
Well this looks like the change on its way. No more Lloyds Amex card and forex fee coming in:-

This was a link to thisismoney. Im still not allowed to post a ulr. ... is that rule all about??

Im thinking keep the Lloyds MasterCard and add a BA Amex card for Avios and a Halifax Clarity to use abroad.
Old Aug 15, 2018 | 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You need 5 posts to post a URL.

This is the thisismoney piece which ran yesterday - Lloyds Bank slashes perks for Avios Rewards credit card customers | This is Money

And there is a full page article on page 43 of the Daily Mail today - Lloyds Bank customers face Avios purge that could cost families 2,000 in perks | This is Money

I tried my best to keep both articles on track but it was complicated because of the massively different fees and perks across the 5 cards being closed. Bizarrely Lloyds told the Mail that the Duo card - not available to new applicants since November 2013 - is the most popular card so the Mail based its article on that.
Old Aug 15, 2018 | 10:55 am

You need 5 posts to post a URL.

This is the thisismoney piece which ran yesterday - Lloyds Bank slashes perks for Avios Rewards credit card customers This is Money

And there is a full page article on page 43 of the Daily Mail today - Lloyds Bank customers face Avios purge that could cost families 2,000 in perks This is Money

I tried my best to keep both articles on track but it was complicated because of the massively different fees and perks across the 5 cards being closed. Bizarrely Lloyds told the Mail that the Duo card - not available to new applicants since November 2013 - is the most popular card so the Mail based its article on that.

Yes I read that you need 5 posts for a URL. I just thought that was a curios policy.

Anyway I think Ill replace my Lloyds Amex Avios with:-

BA Amex - for maximum Avios points
Lloyds MasterCard - for places that dont take Amex
Halifax Clarity - for non purchases.

Unless anyone knows of anything better?
Old Aug 15, 2018 | 11:04 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is there any reason why Lloyds can't offer the current Amex Avios earning rate on the new Mastercard? Presumably they won't because it's too expensive/not feasible?

Yes I read that you need 5 posts for a URL. I just thought that was a curios policy.

Anyway I think Ill replace my Lloyds Amex Avios with:-

BA Amex - for maximum Avios points
Lloyds MasterCard - for places that dont take Amex
Halifax Clarity - for non purchases.

Unless anyone knows of anything better?
This is how I'll probably do it... with my newly acquired Monzo card for cash withdrawals so I don't have any issues with cash advances from my Clarity card showing on my credit rating.

I have a Club Lloyds account so the new Mastercard earning will actually be an improvement.
Old Aug 15, 2018 | 12:28 pm

Just thinking about the BA Amex card. All the bumf is based on a credit limit of 1200 which would be of no use to me. I book usually business class long haul flights and cruises which I would want to pay for with the card.

Is there any way of finding out whether I’d get a sensible (20K+) credit limit before I apply?
Old Aug 15, 2018 | 3:04 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Is there any way of finding out whether Id get a sensible (20K+) credit limit before I apply?
In short, no. In my experience they are fairly generous.

If you are turning over a lot of per month consider getting the BA Premium Amex *after* spending through the bonus requirements on other cards. Perhaps start on a Gold Credit (free first year, points convert to Avios) *or* Gold Business Charge Card (ditto, but no credit limit), then get an SPG card (again points convert to Avios) ... and then take out the BA card when you are nearing the point you want to make a booking and actually need the voucher. Obviously leave yourself enough time to spend to clear the 10,000 hurdle for the voucher at the end of this process. When youve spent the 10k and got the voucher in your BAEC account go back, get another gold card, cancel the BA card and start again...

Yes, I do this, and yes I need a spreadsheet to track the closing / opening dates so I can keep a sufficient gap between applications of each card type (Gold , SPG, BA) to keep qualifying for the sign up bonuses. Amex dont credit check each application provided you already hold a card, so keep a bit of overlap between cancelling and applying, and credit limits will gradually rise in my experience.

If youd like a referral with bonus for any of the above PM me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.