Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher changing?

Is the Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher changing?

Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton
Originally Posted by Schwann
Is there any reason why Lloyds can't offer the current Amex Avios earning rate on the new Mastercard? Presumably they won't because it's too expensive/not feasible?

This is how I'll probably do it... with my newly acquired Monzo card for cash withdrawals so I don't have any issues with cash advances from my Clarity card showing on my credit rating.

I have a Club Lloyds account so the new Mastercard earning will actually be an improvement.
Originally Posted by memesweeper

In short, no. In my experience they are fairly generous.

If you are turning over a lot of per month consider getting the BA Premium Amex *after* spending through the bonus requirements on other cards. Perhaps start on a Gold Credit (free first year, points convert to Avios) *or* Gold Business Charge Card (ditto, but no credit limit), then get an SPG card (again points convert to Avios) ... and then take out the BA card when you are nearing the point you want to make a booking and actually need the voucher. Obviously leave yourself enough time to spend to clear the 10,000 hurdle for the voucher at the end of this process. When youve spent the 10k and got the voucher in your BAEC account go back, get another gold card, cancel the BA card and start again...

Yes, I do this, and yes I need a spreadsheet to track the closing / opening dates so I can keep a sufficient gap between applications of each card type (Gold , SPG, BA) to keep qualifying for the sign up bonuses. Amex dont credit check each application provided you already hold a card, so keep a bit of overlap between cancelling and applying, and credit limits will gradually rise in my experience.

If youd like a referral with bonus for any of the above PM me.
Wow. Thanks for the advice but thats just too much effort for me. Think Ill apply for the BA Prem Plus and hope for the best.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Just to report my experience of using 2x upgrade vouchers via the avois call centre.

Apart from a long hold time, it was pretty smooth. I got through to a lovely agent in Manchester who was able to take a voucher from each avois.com account and miles from a BA HHA. In the end, the trip was booked as two one-way flights, which meant lower taxes on the return. The confirmations did take a while to come through and required a follow-up call for one.

Overall we paid 26k Avios, 2 vouchers and 83 for a return to BCN in Club Europe for two. Because it is a ski holiday, we will make use of the luggage allowance and BA's baggage allowance allows us to carry skis, I think this is quite reasonable. The LCC's Ski carriage can be eye watering.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: British Airways, Hilton
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Just to report my experience of using 2x upgrade vouchers via the avois call centre.

Apart from a long hold time, it was pretty smooth. I got through to a lovely agent in Manchester who was able to take a voucher from each avois.com account and miles from a BA HHA. In the end, the trip was booked as two one-way flights, which meant lower taxes on the return. The confirmations did take a while to come through and required a follow-up call for one.

Overall we paid 26k Avios, 2 vouchers and 83 for a return to BCN in Club Europe for two. Because it is a ski holiday, we will make use of the luggage allowance and BA's baggage allowance allows us to carry skis, I think this is quite reasonable. The LCC's Ski carriage can be eye watering.
Sounds good, shame the Avios scheme will close soon. I also booked with them using a companion voucher some time ago. It was all good but you dont want to be calling the 0844 number at 7p per minute. You can get them on 0344 4933399.

I Wonder if BA will be as easy to deal with?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel

When taking the miles from your BA HHA, can you remember if each individual had enough of their own miles to cover what was needed ? in my case, I have 100,000+ and partner has 30,000 ... we each need 65,000 for our 'own' flights as we each have an u/g voucher - or did they let one of you use the other person's miles within the HHA ?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel

I am in a similar situation; I am wanting to redeem for a UK - US return. My understanding of that situation is to book as a return rather than an outbound + an inbound as a return incurs less taxes than the two singles ?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dewsburyborn
I am in a similar situation; I am wanting to redeem for a UK - US return. My understanding of that situation is to book as a return rather than an outbound + an inbound as a return incurs less taxes than the two singles ?
Yes correct. Without flogging a dead horse the real difference is BA fees rather than taxes, if you accept taxes are something paid to a country/state/council. The UK has relatively high passenger taxes, but these are not significant compared to the BA imposed fees, particularly from the USA to the UK. It's been a big debate on HfP today, and the broadly accepted reason is the ease with which USA citizens can gain large numbers of airline miles including Avios with credit card sign-ups, meaning BA can leverage income from the fees part of the reward redemption. Since BA are selling the Avios to the USA credit card companies in the first place, it really is a nice earner for them, or possibly it's to make the reward seats less attractive to USA credit card holders, in favour of people earning the Avios through flying with BA, or anyone but BA on this forum
dewsburyborn likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz
Yes correct. Without flogging a dead horse the real difference is BA fees rather than taxes, if you accept taxes are something paid to a country/state/council. The UK has relatively high passenger taxes, but these are not significant compared to the BA imposed fees, particularly from the USA to the UK. It's been a big debate on HfP today, and the broadly accepted reason is the ease with which USA citizens can gain large numbers of airline miles including Avios with credit card sign-ups, meaning BA can leverage income from the fees part of the reward redemption. Since BA are selling the Avios to the USA credit card companies in the first place, it really is a nice earner for them, or possibly it's to make the reward seats less attractive to USA credit card holders, in favour of people earning the Avios through flying with BA, or anyone but BA on this forum
Slight correction - The broadly accepted reason from a bunch of people who don't have a clue what they are talking about and are often wrong!

​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.