Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change from 380 to 747 on flight tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Change from 380 to 747 on flight tomorrow?

Hello,

We are due to fly from Boston to London (212) tomorrow and the plane was scheduled to be an A380 and we had seats booked together in Club. Just checked this morning and it says our seat numbers are the same but the seat map is a 747? Does this happen from time to time and can anyone confirm what plane it is?

Many thanks
Old May 12, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We have a A380 stuck in SFO with a technical fault, your flight has now been changed to this type of B744.
British Airways B747-400 14F/52J/36W/235Y Seat Map

Unfortunately this will mean that there will be many downgrades and offloads.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:43 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
Programs: BAEC & VS.
Flight Radar shows it is a 747 tomorrow (G-CIVN) - not sure how often changes happen, but as we all know they do :-(
Old May 12, 2018, 5:43 am

BA 212 is indeed now scheduled as a 747 tomorrow - specifically G-VICN which unfortunately is a mid-J, unrefurbished aircraft. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba212

These types of swaps are not uncommon so it's always good to keep an eye on your reservations.

Are you able to view the seat map in MMB? You'll want to check that your seat numbers do indeed exist in the CW cabin.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If yo have flexible you maybe able to get moved to the next day and get some compensation?
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks, unfortunately we have connections in London (not on the same booking) so won't be able to change. We're with a baby so would that make us less prone to be dumped off the flight or more?
Old May 12, 2018, 6:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by falco7
. We're with a baby so would that make us less prone to be dumped off the flight or more?
It would to some extent, not least because it seems you have confirmed seats, however this is one of the perils of having separate bookings - usually those with onward connections would be prioritised. I would check in at at the first opportunity, if you are able to do so.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Looks like this affects me as well-as I am due to fly to Boston on BA213 tomorrow after my flight down from Manchester. I am now shown as seat 64B which I gather is upstairs on the 747. I did check in earlier, just need to print out my boarding passes. All flights on one ticket.

As I have been allocated the seat, does it mean I am less likely to be downgraded or offloaded?

Many thanks.

BM
Old May 12, 2018, 6:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
As I have been allocated the seat, does it mean I am less likely to be downgraded or offloaded?
That's a fairly good seat, being UD, but suffers slightly from a bit of footfall (relative to the small cabin). Yes having a seat and being checked-in is 98% of the problem solved though nothing is guaranteed, by all means move to a UD window seat if you're not happy with what is a reasonable seat, but don't move downstairs if you can avoid it. Does the rest of CW add up to 86 seats in all? If so it will have a good IFE.
BarneyMcGrew likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:51 am

Further to my last, just received a text from BA saying they would like to offer me a free change to my booking to alternative days and to contact BA. I would rather fly as scheduled if at all possible.

Would I be better not contacting BA.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's a fairly good seat, being UD, but suffers slightly from a bit of footfall (relative to the small cabin). Yes having a seat and being checked-in is 98% of the problem solved though nothing is guaranteed, by all means move to a UD window seat if you're not happy with what is a reasonable seat, but don't move downstairs if you can avoid it. Does the rest of CW add up to 86 seats in all? If so it will have a good IFE.
Many thanks CWS.

Somehow I seem to have downloaded my boarding passes onto my phone, so I cannot check what 744 version it is.

I can can make do with old tech screens if it is the 52J version. Just pleased to have a club world seat on the flight to be honest.. When I looked at the A380 seat plan last night there was only about 20 or so CW seats unallocated across both floors.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Further to my last, just received a text from BA saying they would like to offer me a free change to my booking to alternative days and to contact BA. I would rather fly as scheduled if at all possible.

Would I be better not contacting BA.
Depends how susceptible you are to a bit of bribery I guess. We're talking hotels and perhaps a few hundred pounds. If they specifically want you to call (so depending on the precise wording) then I would do so, if only to confirm that you have complex arrangements (including Assistance, if I recall correctly) and are not willing to move. Usually the way BA words these things is only to call in if you want to move.

Unfortunately it is a 52J, I can see it online, and also that every seat in First, CW and WTP is allocated.
BarneyMcGrew likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:17 am

As mentioned above FR24 is showing 212/213 tomorrow as G-CIVN, so if that's accurate then it's a mid-J old banger for both BarneyMcGrew and falco7.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:13 am
DS7

Programs: BA (shiny); VS (amoeba); Others (plankton)
Count yourself (somewhat) lucky. Yesterday's a380 to ORD was cancelled. I ended up arriving into Chicago just gone midnight as no alternative J seats available direct. :-(
Old May 12, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Depends how susceptible you are to a bit of bribery I guess. We're talking hotels and perhaps a few hundred pounds. If they specifically want you to call (so depending on the precise wording) then I would do so, if only to confirm that you have complex arrangements (including Assistance, if I recall correctly) and are not willing to move. Usually the way BA words these things is only to call in if you want to move.

Unfortunately it is a 52J, I can see it online, and also that every seat in First, CW and WTP is allocated.
Thanks again CWS.

As I am staying at a hotel at MAN this evening, before going there, my sister dropped me off at Terminal 3. I asked the BA lady if she could print off my boarding passes for tomorrow which she did for both MAN to LHR and LHR to BOS. I acted a bit dumb ‘(very easy for me’) and she tapped into her computer and my card boarding passes appeared for both flights with allocated seats.

She never mentioned about any problems etc. Yes I do have assistance booked at LHR tomorrow, so that might help.

To be honest they have already changed my flights once as about 4 weeks ago they cancelled my original MAN to LHR leg. The option they presented only had a 30 minute connection onto the Boston flight, so we agreed to fetch my flights forward by a day but on my original timings.. I had to book an extra night at my hotel in Boston so it has already cost me extra, not that I was too bothered then.

Isn’t this flying malarkey fun?

BM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.