Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the BEST thing about BA for you?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Might have to come down to Buenos Aires later this year (not confirmed yet). Do you really think the connecting flight out of MAD is that good? What do they use - an A340-600?
....until the new A350 appears.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Just not sure I wouldn't rather just do the direct from London. Not so bothered on the way there, but on the way back I normally just want to board and flop. Stumbling bleary eyed through Barajas doesn't appeal....
Old May 11, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Several have mentioned safety and I'm not entirely sure on what they base that? Do they have an actual evidence BA are safer?

Certainly the engine cowl incident revealed a lot of quite alarming features of how 'efficient' staff rostering to put it politely, was directly impacting safety. It was also not a good advert for BA pilot training given they could barely control the plane once - oh my god - they had to use manual thrust. I believe AF, LH and KL all give their pilots more training in manual flight and allow them to do it more on the line.

Of course BA are extremely safe, but there's nothing to suggest any more so than most other western airlines. There seems to be some kind of strange idea that Brits are just better pilots, without any basis. But anyway, no harm if it helps you sleep on the red eye I guess

Last edited by nallison; May 11, 2018 at 8:41 am
Old May 11, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by T8191
How curious that our various experiences with AA (both TATL and Domestic) are radically different, including the following from my TRs.
I am responsible for corporate travel in my business and we have a "no fly" list. Airlines I won't put us on. The list is not just decided by me but all staff have their say. This list is as such.

Ryan Air
AA
United
Jet Blue
Spirit.

For a company that travels globally. That's a pretty US heavy list wouldn't you agree? And to get on that list the airline has to have made the travel experience particularly bad, more than once.

Delta is the only US carrier we will take now.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by cuspidor
They are not robotic like ME 3
I never understand a comment like this. Sure, if you’re looking for cabin crew with who you can have banter about the latest goings on in Coronation Street, Arsenal Wenger’s possible replacement, or the best motorway services, then BA cabin crew are the ones for you.

However I find nothing remotely robotic about ME3 cabin crew. They may not have your ‘best mate’ familiarity about them, but they are generally equally as attentive, respectful and, dare I say it, far better groomed. And if you make the effort to bridge any cultural divide and establish a rapport with them they can be brilliant.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Interesting, cupsandsaucers. I have to guess a lot of factors were involved in that ‘group think’, including IRROPS handling, baggage allowances etc.

I will still stand by the AA FAs we’ve encountered on our travels ... albeit in J or F, as we don’t fly down the back. Different to BA, but certainly not deserving (in our experience) the massive negativity you expressed upthread. Genuinely looking forward to flying AA next month (DUB-PHL-PHX).

Oh, well, you can’t please everyone. Back to the Topic
hugolover likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Might have to come down to Buenos Aires later this year (not confirmed yet). Do you really think the connecting flight out of MAD is that good? What do they use - an A340-600?
The IB midday flight to EZE suits us best as it gets into EZE that evening which means we can go straight to bed when we get home. BA is by far the best eastbound if you're London based.
IB seem to be sticking with the A346 on the EZE route which is good news for those down the back. In J it doesn't matter.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by T8191
Interesting, cupsandsaucers. I have to guess a lot of factors were involved in that ‘group think’, including IRROPS handling, baggage allowances etc.

I will still stand by the AA FAs we’ve encountered on our travels ... albeit in J or F, as we don’t fly down the back. Different to BA, but certainly not deserving (in our experience) the massive negativity you expressed upthread. Genuinely looking forward to flying AA next month (DUB-PHL-PHX).

Oh, well, you can’t please everyone. Back to the Topic
In fairness yes, metal does come into it. And ethics.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:05 am

As a newish BA flyer, having moved from the US West Coast where I was a loyal United flyer for a number of years, I really like the BA staff, especially lounge and flight crews. It's been said a few times above but US-based carriers (outside of Virgin America/Alaska and maybe Jet Blue in my experience) are in general horrible, mean people who treat you like crap unless you are a VIP and/or flying up front. I was almost shocked at how pleasant the staff were when I first moved here and started flying BA regularly.

The lounges are in pretty good shape and have decent offerings especially considering how much volume many of them handle on a daily basis.

The mobile app is OK (the UA app is far superior for sure). But does the job most times.

I fly from LHR almost exclusively and I like how easy it is to get to T5 from Paddington via Heathrow Express, through Fast Track to the lounge or gate. I've gone from my couch to T5 lounge in 40 minutes a few times. The walk from the train to T2/T3 is really far in comparison.

The consistency of experience is also pretty good in my opinion. In the US a lot of the carriers have legacy crews from old acquisitions and mergers (Northwest on Delta, Continental on United, etc) that have totally different expectations around service and quality and it can lead to some odd experiences.

BA to me is an above average global carrier -- not amazing, but has lots of good qualities and rarely do you have a really poor experience.

-bigM
Old May 11, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
In one world, I love the homely feeling. When I am overseas, as soon as I see a BA tailfin or step inside the aircraft I already feel at home.

I also love the iphone app, the First Wing at LHR, the friendly and professional staff, overall organisation and enforcment of rules.

Despite being a fierce critic of BA's latest downhill route, I do enjoy flying BA very much.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Knowing that even as a GGL flying in F, my fawning experience will be non-existent

To put it another way, 99.99% of the BA people I encounter do a professional job in a refreshingly human way. They're not afraid to josh and joke and they don't take any crepe !

Back when I was flying a lot (occasionally from some very trying places), I couldn't really beat stepping out of the hassle and bustle into the calm of a BA cabin - all the more so when I was immediately offered a cuppa
Old May 11, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: BA, JAL
I like that BA isn't fancy and pretentious - it knows it was once something and now isn't much. It's humble in that regard and staff on the ground seem very kind.
I find BA very good from the point of view of redemption availability and avios build up.
I think the lounges on the whole are very good, apart from holiday season.
I have found BA to be fairly reliable in getting from A to B. No flight cancellations and almost all of my flights have arrived within 3 hours.

Out of these options, I'd say the redemptions in BAEC are the best. It's very no-nonsense and in my opinion reasonable.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
- Seat availability for status pax. (Exit row is a must-have for me)
- OW emerald seems a nice status to have, and doesn't cost me an exorbitant amount of money to achieve. (although I haven't achieved it yet...)
- Same for OW Sapphire, it's been really nice going on a lot of economy flights since I achieved it.
- Living in London, the sheer amount of options is nice.
- Cost-effective last-minute day trips! I love those.
- Cheap enough economy tickets if booked in advance.
- The only UK credit card that has good airline rewards is for BA, so that's a thing...
- BA lounges are good enough for me (certainly better than being limited to PP!). Some OW lounges are awesome.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Crew, for sure. During a recent 2.55 hour delay on the tarmac at LHR before an 8 hour transatlantic flight and then during the flight the Captain was in touch and the flight attendants were on top of the situation in a pleasant but not forced way. The Captain explained what was going on without actually saying that they over-fueled the plane, and water was forthcoming so no one passed out from dehydration before we even left. That 8 hour turned into an 11 hour flight could have been worse thanks to the crew.

Unfortunately, the plane was so cramped that I will do my best to avoid BA in the future. AA flies the same route and with them I can get stuff out of my under seat bag without standing in the aisle.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by HIDDY
IB seem to be sticking with the A346 on the EZE route which is good news for those down the back. In J it doesn't matter.
Betting that's a combination of cargo and slight leaning to 4 engines for ETOPS reasons maybe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.