Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do all Ba 787's have this RR engine issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
My regular route to London from SJC is already on hold pending repairs, it is due to resume service at end of June,

will this delay it further?

i have an upcoming flight in early July
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal
My regular route to London from SJC is already on hold pending repairs, it is due to resume service at end of June,

Short version : Impossible to say.

Long Version: While BA (and others) probably have a very good idea what the inspection requirement will be it's really not possible to be certain until the text of the service bulletin or airworthiness directive is published. Once it's out then the airlines can plan the work.
In the press release RR have said the possible Package B issue related to a high time engine (though what that means was left unsaid) so, they may put an inspect by XXXXX flying hours and if there is a big gap between the hours your engine is on and the requirement then you can schedule the inspection into some routine downtime and there is little to no disruption.
If there is no gap between the requirement and the hours left and you have no capacity to inspect immediately then you end up with more grounded aircraft in the inspection queue. If the inspection is with a borescope (a small camera on a stick) then the queue moves pretty quickly. If it requires removing the engine and possibly sending it somewhere else then it's a very slow moving queue!

Inspection is one aspect and if the 160 ish package B engines are inspected and there is nothing untoward found then there is unlikely to be any further disruption after this one off process.

If, on the other hand, a common issue is found on the inspections then there will likely be a further requirement to replace a component early and / or conduct repeated inspections to monitor the situation. The problem then is are there enough bits to do the replacement and are there enough suitable people in suitable places to carry out the work. That's where the Package C engine has got to with queues for components and shop time and qualified technicians and engineers.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:22 pm

I have an update to all this, as I was told the 787 fleet was having their engines removed, and indeed this is the case. This isn't because of the package C suphidation/coating issue, which is being monitored and the affected stage replaced by RR when they get the replacement parts. This is another problem RR is investigating so they are pulling all engines to inspect the blades for cracking to work out/fix what is going on. It is not known if it is a batch issue, or design issue so they are pulling all of them.
New Trent 1000 Blade Inspections Cover Different Version | MRO Network

Reading in between the lines, I suspect the Qatar wetlease is being paid by RR, to keep BA (sort of) happy, and so they can use the BA fleet to trace the problem, and BA has the experienced engineering base to pull the engines and the RR LHR and Derby facilities inspect/rebuild/turn around the engine modules as quick as they can.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Getting slightly concerned that this will affect the BA62 Sez-Lhr on 21st June - noticed on FR24 that no aircraft reg is listed yet for the next few flights. Any other suggestions where I can check please?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Getting slightly concerned that this will affect the BA62 Sez-Lhr on 21st June - noticed on FR24 that no aircraft reg is listed yet for the next few flights. Any other suggestions where I can check please?
i wouldn't get too panicked yet, the 21st of June is still a few days away

A question from me now however, is Los Angeles likley to be re-instated on time on the 787? I believe it was due for July. Looking at travelling in October so wanted to see it would definitely be back by then.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmibaby737

i wouldn't get too panicked yet, the 21st of June is still a few days away

A question from me now however, is Los Angeles likley to be re-instated on time on the 787? I believe it was due for July. Looking at travelling in October so wanted to see it would definitely be back by then.
Mine is still showing on 06/07 - But only commences on 01/07 - I guess a decision will be made by 16/06 to comply with the +14 days
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by navatwal

Given the other flights to the area (SFO and even OAK at a stretch), if I were targetting routes that could be scaled back that would definitely be in my thinking to be honest.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Mine is still showing on 06/07 - But only commences on 01/07 - I guess a decision will be made by 16/06 to comply with the +14 days
Thanks. Looking to make a booking for that specific flight LAX-LHR. I just don't want to book and be booted to the later or earlier A380 flight.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly the BA280/281 has now been taken off sale from 01-05/07

Are they dripping these cancellations through rather than taking out chunks at a time?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:33 pm

Our local paper has on overview on the "new engines" problems, with helpful graphics: https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...duction-lines/

Time to dust off a couple of the 744s resting at Vacaville.
bisonrav and davm666 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by chucko
Our local paper has on overview on the "new engines" problems, with helpful graphics: https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...duction-lines/

A very impressive ‘local paper’ and a cogent explanation of the issues.

Thanks for the link ^
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by chucko

Probably not possible. Too much has been ripped out of them.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by T8191
A very impressive ‘local paper’ and a cogent explanation of the issues.

Thanks for the link ^
Dominic Gates has been covering the aerospace beat for some time. In Seattle, that's a lot of work.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was driving along the A30 towards Hatton Cross earlier and there’s a Virgin 787 parked up close to the road, with both engines wrapped in giant bin bags! Not a great look for all those passerbys!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I was driving along the A30 towards Hatton Cross earlier and there’s a Virgin 787 parked up close to the road, with both engines wrapped in giant bin bags! Not a great look for all those passerbys!
There were three in a line like that when I was last in Heathrow a few weeks ago!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.