Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When Politeness Causes A Further Breakdown In Diplomatic Relations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Politeness Causes A Further Breakdown In Diplomatic Relations

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 1:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I can't help but feel that someone should have pressed the emergency stop button!

Very wrong indeed but..........it would have been funny ^
Saltire74 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:21 pm

If I had been Male B, I think I might have been tempted to report him to the nearest police officer (if one can be found) for attempted assault. Nothing would come out of it other than a hopefully embarrassing and potentially worrying moment for the idiot.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL; KLM Gold; AC 50K
One of these days, A will act out against the wrong person, who will politely follow him out of the airport to a secluded spot to give him a right proper treatment. Karma. Too bad we won't be there to witness it
hugolover and thunderlounge like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am surprised that it was the first time that you encountered such behavior. I often see it at LHR that people occupy the entire width of the escalator, corridor or jetty so that no one can get past them. People get very annoyed and angry when you ask them if they can let you pass through. It is as if they expected you to stay behind and adapt to their speed. I find such people very rude and selfish.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Ok - I'll bite.
I respect everyone's need to get from A to B (no pun intended).
However, the manner and acceptability in which people do this does vary. I don't want to go into cultures, nationalities, ages, or anything like that to justify misunderstandings.. other than to say people frequently act out against one another unnecessarily. But I do think a bit of background comes into this. I remember being at a party once and person 1 walks into me, person 2 does, person 3 does and so on within the space of 10 seconds. Before person 1 had done it, no one had taken to this manouevre (circumstances did not change across the say 10 minutes when over 10 other people had passed without problem). Unfortunately person 4 had to deal with the consequences as by then I'd started getting annoyed and I'd started reacting to the pain in my hand. Long story short, past experiences affect future actions and approaches, and also if you've been in front and people knock past you then maybe next time, you won't want to allow that situation. Similarly on the tube.. I used to make as much space as possible - but you soon find that once you do, people consume as much as possible and care nothing for your comfort. Now, I just leave a certain amount and no more.

This isn't to justify the behaviour - if someone made a polite request then I would never decline someone decency. But I do think certain other factors may be involved beyond alpha, beta, gamma male..
Cue all the people telling me tosh.. fine!
Old May 8, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Misleading title! Politeness didn't caused the breakdown. Just imagine Male B was as impolite as Male A and decided to force-ably cross over Male A's luggage on his way to the front of the pack.. that could've triggered a mano a mano right there on the escalator.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Deleted

Last edited by lostinlondon; May 10, 2018 at 10:50 am
Old May 8, 2018, 9:21 pm

Blocking an escalator is something that rather annoys me (as someone who always chooses to keep walking as opposed to standing around) and I've seen it often but usually assume it's the laziness of putting a roller bag down beside you instead of in front or behind (as I always do when taking a roller bag onto an escalator).

Historically I've always travelled with hand baggage that I carry in my hand (as opposed to roll along on the floor behind me) and one of my habits became that if I see someone in front of me with a rolling bag, I will choose another escalator (or even the stairs, if there's not another escalator) because I would almost assume that they'd roll-on and stop, as opposed to keep moving.

Passenger "A" sounds like a piece of work...
Old May 8, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I actually use the stairs whenever I can (I am a weird one who always checks luggage and only brings a backpack onboard) just because so many people feel the need to take the entire width of the escalator with their roller suitcases. It ends up being faster than the escalator most of the time.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze
On escalators I think it is polite to stand on one side.
I have been victim to not knowing ‘sidewalk etiquette’ in NYC.
I was walking on a temporary pavement due to a hoarding being up. It was flooded on one side so I passed on the other side - cue an angry New Yorker who bellowed at me that I was walking on the wrong side and I quote ‘are you British or something ?’ His face was a picture when I replied why yes - thank you

Male A sounds like a version of this guy on steroids, probably fuelled by the fact male B was travelling in a lesser class.
Pascoe likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am surprised that it was the first time that you encountered such behavior. I often see it at LHR that people occupy the entire width of the escalator, corridor or jetty so that no one can get past them. People get very annoyed and angry when you ask them if they can let you pass through. It is as if they expected you to stay behind and adapt to their speed. I find such people very rude and selfish.
More likely ignorant and selfish rather than rude and selfish. I find that a firm 'One side or the other, please!' while still several steps away usually works.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Originally Posted by GodAtum
How sad. I've not really experienced this apart from in the lounge when someone asked me to move as i was sitting in his favourite seat.
Ridiculous - although I once had a similar issue in the CCR, where somebody confonted me because I apparently took 'his' mug ...
DYKWIA, wrp96 and squawk like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BAMuc
Ridiculous - although I once had a similar issue in the CCR, where somebody confonted me because I apparently took 'his' mug ...
Oh, no!
squawk likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Conversely, over the years, I've heard plenty of grumbling in Australia about Brits insisting of standing on the right of the escalator instead of staying on the left to let people pass them on the right!!
In London, you stand on the right and walk on the left which is probably why they do it even when overseas but it causes no end of issues here, especially with Americans, they can't comprehend stand on the right and don't stop as soon as you step off the escalator and I would presume those Brits doing similar in Australia, they don't travel frequently enough and so are guilty of the same charge.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why was B in such a rush to get to the front when the flight arrived 50 minutes early?
People in a hurry can also be very annoying at times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.