Wiki Posts
Search

Airbridge oddities

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Looking on the map, I am sure it was gate A1 in the southwest corner. I don't really mind bus transfers at T5, especially on arrival as the bus comes and goes quite quickly. Bus on departure is more tedious, but I think I get bus on arrival much more frequently. Maybe BAA's tactic is to use bus mainly for arriving passengers and then tow aircraft to bridge stands?
Old May 6, 2018, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kumulani
Enabling ALL gates to handle both domestic and international flights would have added an enormous amount to the construction cost, as it would have required an extra level. For not a huge benefit, since this doesn't seem to happen that often.
thats not what I was suggesting. I think they could have pretty easily added a bi level system to the low numbered A gates so they could feed into the international arrivals area. Not sure if the reverse is an issue - domestic arrivals being bussed because of arrival to an international gate. Have only flown UK domestic once
Old May 6, 2018, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA

indeed. As someone with quite a bit of domestic flying from T5 over the years I can say probably less than 5% of my flights have involved bussing on arrival or departure. Configuring the whole teriminal for the sake of avoiding any bussing would be a lot of money for a small issue:
i don’t consider bus gates to be a minor issue. It’s one of the single most annoying feature of many airports. Maybe it’s just the fact i am an American but the use of a bus at the airport to me equates to a major f-up in design or logistics.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
To prevent the problem in the OP from occurring, aircraft could be designated domestic only and international only, at least for whole days. If really necessary, they could be towed between gates overnight. Is there any particular scheduling reason that this doesn't happen? (OK, sometimes larger planes need to be used on domestics, but that isn't very common I believe.) Instead, 150 passengers are inconvenienced for a minor benefit to BA.

Reminds me of one day at university when one lecturer's time was reportedly so valuable that he couldn't afford to take a taxi (at the university's expense obviously) from his office at a different campus to our campus, but instead several coaches were chartered to drive all the students there and we had to make our own way back - apparently 200 student hours were worth 30 of his minutes.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by :D!
To prevent the problem in the OP from occurring, aircraft could be designated domestic only and international only, at least for whole days. If really necessary, they could be towed between gates overnight.
I think you are perhaps looking at this from a departing passengers perspective (where T5 doesn't have a problem) rather than arriving - the aircraft itself isn't the issue here, the fleet is flexible, the gates are flexible and you can have have a domestc 321 longhaul or previously a 767 longhaul running off gate 8 for example. The problem relates purely to the need to segregate all arriving passengers PLUS the need to segregate CTA (UK) PLUS the need to segregate CTA(Irish Republic). Most of T5 deals with the need to put arriving international passengers through security if transferring, passports and customs if not. There are 8 gates for domestic which don't get security, passports or customs checks and 2 gates for Ireland which get security, no passports but do have a customs check. Oh and biometrics are in the mix too for departing domestic and Irish passengers, but they also get international lounge facilities unlike at some airports even in Europe.

Now if you are still with me, mostly this works fine without buses, I'm well below 5% on their use, usually if the aircraft arrives early into LHR, and I'm more likely to encounter buses in the USA than T5. But T5 is working at beyond design passenger numbers, and when T5 was built there were fewer domestic services. DUB, BHD and INV have all been added. Plus all the international new routes. So I personally think T5 does a reasonable job here on the whole.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Looking on the map, I am sure it was gate A1 in the southwest corner. I don't really mind bus transfers at T5, especially on arrival as the bus comes and goes quite quickly. Bus on departure is more tedious, but I think I get bus on arrival much more frequently. Maybe BAA's tactic is to use bus mainly for arriving passengers and then tow aircraft to bridge stands?
A1 is at the northwest end of T5A. A23 would be at the southwest corner that you describe. I'm not particularly close to the details, but I believe that international arrivals on the domestic gates A1-A7 can use the jetty and then the internal stairs to the bus. A8 is different in that it is on the boundary between domestic and international and Border Force has agreed that it can be used for both via a system of swing gates with very strict operational requirements.

A23 is for CTA arrivals only and I believe this is the only gate where any arrival other than CTA are required to use the rear stairs. There are a number of factors involved in this decision, including Border Force requirements and the layout of the aircraft stand, being the very end of the building. This sounds more like the stand that was used. Not common to get any arrival other than Dublin on this gate as the number of flights often are enough to ensure full utilisation just for that route.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Not sure if the reverse is an issue - domestic arrivals being bussed because of arrival to an international gate. Have only flown UK domestic once
It can occasionally happen, although I think is still very much the exception. I’m not sure whether this is fact or mere perception, but IME a domestic 767 service or later arrivals seem to be at slightly more at risk of bussing. A couple of times, I’ve ended up parked at the remote stands on the southern side of T5A. And once we ended up at T3 with a fairly long trek back to T5...the driver even becoming confused at one point, almost dropping us off at international arrivals, before a quick-witted passenger pointed out to him we were a domestic arrival before he had a chance to open the door (good thing as I didn’t have a passport since that was a purely domestic trip for me).

But even at that it must be well under 5% of domestic arrivals that require bussing, so even if this were an issue, I’m not sure it occurs to the extent that it warrants a significant redesign of the T5 arrivals flow to account for what must be a small % of edge cases.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by GM1985

It can occasionally happen, although I think is still very much the exception. I’m not sure whether this is fact or mere perception, but IME a domestic 767 service or later arrivals seem to be at slightly more at risk of bussing. A couple of times, I’ve ended up parked at the remote stands on the southern side of T5A. And once we ended up at T3 with a fairly long trek back to T5...the driver even becoming confused at one point, almost dropping us off at international arrivals, before a quick-witted passenger pointed out to him we were a domestic arrival before he had a chance to open the door (good thing as I didn’t have a passport since that was a purely domestic trip for me).

But even at that it must be well under 5% of domestic arrivals that require bussing, so even if this were an issue, I’m not sure it occurs to the extent that it warrants a significant redesign of the T5 arrivals flow to account for what must be a small % of edge cases.
Hi,

We were bussed on the 13th April coming down from EDI ( 2105 arrival). At least we were in CE and had a CE bus for about 7 pax!. My previous arrival also at around 9pm was also bussed. ( both were on A319/A320s)

Regards

TBS
GM1985 likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; May 6, 2018 at 11:33 am
Old May 6, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by :D!
To prevent the problem in the OP from occurring, aircraft could be designated domestic only and international only, at least for whole days. If really necessary, they could be towed between gates overnight. Is there any particular scheduling reason that this doesn't happen? (OK, sometimes larger planes need to be used on domestics, but that isn't very common I believe.) Instead, 150 passengers are inconvenienced for a minor benefit to BA.
And you seriously think it has never been considered?

I doubt BA wants the extra logistical hassle of buses either, but sometimes intensive schedules require such things.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sts603
i don’t consider bus gates to be a minor issue. It’s one of the single most annoying feature of many airports. Maybe it’s just the fact i am an American but the use of a bus at the airport to me equates to a major f-up in design or logistics.
not quite sure what nationality has to do with this issue? it's a minor issue because it really doesn't happen very often.

on the scale of annoying features I place the recent lack of LPGS in the CCR for a few days as much higher than a bus ride
RoyalSwazi, LCSinTexas and GM1985 like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

We were bussed on the 13th April coming down from EDI ( 2105 arrival). At least we were in CE and had a CE bus for about 7 pax!. My previous arrival also at around 9pm was also bussed.

Regards

TBS
Interesting. Definitely matches my experience that the ~9PM GLA arrivals can come with free bus tour of Heathrow

Is that because the domestic stands are occupied ready for early morning domestic departures the next day? Or the arriving aircraft is scheduled to operate a late EU departure...?
Old May 6, 2018, 9:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GM1985
Interesting. Definitely matches my experience that the ~9PM GLA arrivals can come with free bus tour of Heathrow

Is that because the domestic stands are occupied ready for early morning domestic departures the next day? Or the arriving aircraft is scheduled to operate a late EU departure...?
767s can't use many gates at T5A, they can do gates 8 and 6 I think, so if it can't go there, or there are other plans (given gate 8 switches to non CTA at times) then inbound 767s on domestics do have a higher bus risk.
GM1985 likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
not quite sure what nationality has to do with this issue? it's a minor issue because it really doesn't happen very often.

on the scale of annoying features I place the recent lack of LPGS in the CCR for a few days as much higher than a bus ride
Bus gates are very rare in America and actually I think AA probably has more than other Us carriers but regular use is still limited to a sub set of flights at a few airports. The vast majority of US airports do not use bus gates except in extreme circumstances. Culturally it’s not something we are used to and grew up to look down upon. Most American airports are really focused on a smaller main terminal and some form of long fingers either directly connected or connected by train where there is room for all planes to be connected by jetway.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by Kumulani
Enabling ALL gates to handle both domestic and international flights would have added an enormous amount to the construction cost, as it would have required an extra level. For not a huge benefit, since this doesn't seem to happen that often.
Sorry this comment comes a bit late, but just to point out that you don't need an additional level and the cost that incurs. All you need is an inner and an outer corridor on the arrivals level. The outer one, by the windows, could be for domestic arrivals and lead to the left (towards gate 1), behind that, leading to the right and connecting to the international arrivals side, is your corridor for international arriving pax.

You configure it so that usually, all the jetties feed into the domestic corridor. But on the rare occasion you get an international arrival there, you open the doors to allow that jetty to lead to the international corridor, and you simultaneously shut doors to block off the domestic corridor on either side of that stream of passengers. On the rare occasion that you have a domestic arrival at the same as, and at a higher gate than, the international arrival, all it requires is one staff member to be stationed at the junction and every couple of minutes he stops one group and switches the doors, like traffic lights at a junction.

Cost? An extra glass partition to create the second corridor, plus 6 or 7 gates' worth of doors. But you'd save the coaching cost and, more importantly, an awful lot of passenger, crew and aircraft time...
Old May 6, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Sorry this comment comes a bit late, but just to point out that you don't need an additional level and the cost that incurs. All you need is an inner and an outer corridor on the arrivals level. The outer one, by the windows, could be for domestic arrivals and lead to the left (towards gate 1), behind that, leading to the right and connecting to the international arrivals side, is your corridor for international arriving pax.

You configure it so that usually, all the jetties feed into the domestic corridor. But on the rare occasion you get an international arrival there, you open the doors to allow that jetty to lead to the international corridor, and you simultaneously shut doors to block off the domestic corridor on either side of that stream of passengers. On the rare occasion that you have a domestic arrival at the same as, and at a higher gate than, the international arrival, all it requires is one staff member to be stationed at the junction and every couple of minutes he stops one group and switches the doors, like traffic lights at a junction.

Cost? An extra glass partition to create the second corridor, plus 6 or 7 gates' worth of doors. But you'd save the coaching cost and, more importantly, an awful lot of passenger, crew and aircraft time...
It’s the green mile all over again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.